Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭prunudo

Arghus wrote: »
    Your man just rhymes off the stats like robot. Pure nerves. You can see his leg going like crazy underneath the table the whole time.

What is the general tone coming from them? What are they concerned about today, are the next 2 weeks crucial?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Donegal hiked up today. It's just not reducing there as you'd hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

High praise for those in the 19-24 age group for the quick decline in cases per 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

prunudo wrote: »
    What is the general tone coming from them? What are they concerned about today, are the next 2 weeks crucial?

Quite positive today. All indicators show declining numbers. Young people being singled out for praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cases decreasing by 5-6% per day

• Advertisement

Reproduction number of 0.7-0.9 applies to cases 7-10 days ago and could easily be at 0.5 according to Prof. Nolan

Nolan seems confident that R could be alot closer to 0.5.

0.7 to 0.9 based on cases out to 10 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I really hope that trend keeps up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I must record and replay Prof Nolan before going to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Another press conference in DK just ended. One of the 12 infected with the mutated virus is an elderly man from an old folks home in another part of DK not near the mink farming region. They havnt been able to establish how the new virus has turned up there...Theyre locking down the main regions affected but probably too late
    They said its not that this new strain is more dangerous, but its just more able to withstand the antibodies. The part of the virus which has mutated is the part which would be targeted by the vaccine

• Advertisement

Nolan seems confident that R could be alot closer to 0.5.

0.7 to 0.9 based on cases out to 10 days ago.
    I tend to agree with him due to the rapid decline in cases. I think we'll see it as somewhere between 0.4 and 0.6 next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I really hope that trend keeps up
    I hope it trends down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Another press conference in DK just ended. One of the 12 infected with the mutated virus is an elderly man from an old folks home in another part of DK not near the mink farming region. They havnt been able to establish how the new virus has turned up there...Theyre locking down the main regions affected but probably too late
    They said its not that this new strain is more dangerous, but its just more able to withstand the antibodies. The part of the virus which has mutated is the part which would be targeted by the vaccine

Are there flights still coming in to Dublin from Denmark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Of course they should close all borders immediately.

They wont and the vaccine are now all basically useless.

What a **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Arghus wrote: »
    Nolan positively beaming with positivity here about all the lack of positives out there.

He loves a bit of modelling

531911.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is it nearing time to finally consider implementing some restrictions on travel into the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Surely it can't be 4 more weeks if the figures keep rapidly decreasing?

He loves a bit of modelling

531911.jpg
    Ffs :D:D:D:D:D

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is it nearing time to finally consider implementing some restrictions on travel into the country?

Why would it be ? They're going to be loosened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

EU traffic light system and rapid airport testing. Sorted.
    Try to encourage our northern friends to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Some sort of enforcement on the quarantine rules would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Their numbers are significantly lower than last week, so do the math's

I have. Arlene hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Great news regarding trends. We need to keep it up. The slide below could be titled "How much do you enjoy Christmas".....Ireland enjoys Christmas more than most I think. Wonder what we are going to do with Christmas. Heard on the radio 800K usually come back.

Here's a slide I made...... :pac: for those following on.

531905.png

Some sort of enforcement on the quarantine rules would be good.

What quarantine rules?

Don't mean to come across as trying to be a smart arse here but there isn't and never has been quarantine rules in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

EU traffic light system and rapid airport testing. Sorted.
    Are they actually going to do that? Excellent news if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What quarantine rules?

Don't mean to come across as smart here but there isn't and never has been quarantine rules in Ireland

You know what he means.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You know what he means.

And as I said there's no rules so not sure what you can tighten in terms of enforcement.

Its a guideline to restrict movements. Your essentially relying on people to have a bit of cop on

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Surely it can't be 4 more weeks if the figures keep rapidly decreasing?

It is and don't be surprised if it's longer.

Are they actually going to do that? Excellent news if so.

Eamon Ryan confirmed we will be using the EU traffic light system from the 8th. Some members of Nphet not happy but they seem to forget whose in charge. Easy mistake to make I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

And as I said there's no rules so not sure what you can tighten in terms of enforcement.

Its a guideline to restrict movements.

If it's a free for all at Christmas we'll be back to square one and it'll be the most depressing February in the last 150 years.

So the question must be asked what's the point. We should be realistic about this spreads. Getting down to low number so we can go on a mad one with one of the largest diasporas in the world (as a proportion of population) will end in tears.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement