Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump sum pension payment and income tax

• 02-11-2020 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I'm trying to get my head around a pension issue and could do with some help...

I'm a PAYE employee. This year I had some additional income (approx 5k) and will have to pay income tax on this next year.

I have a DB pension and was going to use the money to buy a year's notional service. I pay tax at the marginal rate.

If I use this money to pay a lumpsum into my pension do I still have to pay income tax on the 5k?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

justo wrote: »
    I'm trying to get my head around a pension issue and could do with some help...

I'm a PAYE employee. This year I had some additional income (approx 5k) and will have to pay income tax on this next year.

I have a DB pension and was going to use the money to buy a year's notional service. I pay tax at the marginal rate.

If I use this money to pay a lumpsum into my pension do I still have to pay income tax on the 5k?

TIA

You can claim tax relief at your marginal rate on any pension payments
    You will have to pay USC and PRSI on the 5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

brisan wrote: »
    You can claim tax relief at your marginal rate on any pension payments
    You will have to pay USC and PRSI on the 5k

Not necessarily 'any' pension payments.

For the age category you fall into, there is a % limit of your gross earnings which can be paid into your pension and qualify for tax relief.

Click the link below and scroll down to 'Age-related earnings percentage limits'....

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pensions/tax-relief-for-pension-contributions.aspx

Advertisement