Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Military Pension - Irish Citizen

• 02-11-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

My father is Irish but was in the Royal Air Force for 13 years in the 60s/70s. He never claimed any pension that we know of. My father passed away several months ago and my mother has since received an application form (IPC 149A) in the door from The UK. The form had handwritten at the top that it was sent on request of the Irish authorities.

If I fill it in and return it to the UK would this affect my mothers current Irish State Pension?

If my father was due a military pension would my mother even have to accept it or could she send the forms back and refuse?

Why are the Irish authorities asking for this form to be sent out, would they reduce my mothers pension if she is entitled to anything from the UK?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

andyred wrote: »
    My father is Irish but was in the Royal Air Force for 13 years in the 60s/70s. He never claimed any pension that we know of. My father passed away several months ago and my mother has since received an application form (IPC 149A) in the door from The UK. The form had handwritten at the top that it was sent on request of the Irish authorities.

Is it possible that your mother phoned them and asked for the form to be sent to her?

Or that she sent away the form your father had completed before he passed away (see OP's earlier thread, in the 'State Benefits' forum, link below) but it was an out of date form and they sent her the new version to fill in?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058102526

As to whether her Irish pension would be affected, I answered that question in your earlier thread. See post #7, last paragraph.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

andyred wrote: »
    Why are the Irish authorities asking for this form to be sent out

Under EU/EEA/CH protocols, only one state can be responsible for all your pension rights etc. And that is the state where you are resident at the time you qualify for your first pension. And they are responsible for ensuring that you get the maximum benefits from all the possibilities that you are entitled to across the EU/EEA/CH, so yes it is very possible that in reviewing your mothers situation they made such a request.

For instance in my case, If I retired here in Switzerland and then return to Ireland, the Swiss government would still be responsible for me in Ireland, even though I'm an Irish citizen. So they have to sort out my healthcare, bus pass etc...

It is worth pointing out that the UK was notorious for ignoring that protocol and dealing with non residents who were entitled to a pension directly. For most it worked out OK, but I have heard of a few cases where they're total take was less then it could have been. But there is no option to correct it, once a determination has been made it cannot be undone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Under EU/EEA/CH protocols, only one state can be responsible for all your pension rights etc. And that is the state where you are resident at the time you qualify for your first pension. And they are responsible for ensuring that you get the maximum benefits from all the possibilities that you are entitled to across the EU/EEA/CH, so yes it is very possible that in reviewing your mothers situation they made such a request.

But (per his earlier thread) the OP’s mother is already drawing a private and (Irish) state pension as of last August, she hasn’t just reached pension age.

For my money, it’s inconceivable that someone in an Irish govt. agency asked someone in the UK to send her a form, unless she or one of her children attempted to claim the father’s RAF pension. He passed away earlier this year but never claimed a pension from the UK and we and the OP have no idea if he was ever entitled to one. He served for about 15 years so could easily have been discharged with no entitlement to a service pension.

Advertisement