Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pcie slots for GPU

Options
  • 02-11-2020 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭

My old Pcie slot for my 1080 will not fit my new GPU. It hits off against the USB hub on the motherboard.

Does it really matter if I install a GPU on another slot that fits, or will I be doing damage?

Bios looks like this

All Eyes On Rafah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Screenshot of it

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's running on an 8x lane rather than 16x though this should be pretty much fine unless you have an RTX3080, even then you would have slight but not big performance loss.

According to the bios you have another 16x slot free though. Might as well put it in that.

Homelander wrote: »
    It's running on an 8x lane rather than 16x though this should be pretty much fine unless you have an RTX3080, even then you would have slight but not big performance loss.

According to the bios you have another 16x slot free though. Might as well put it in that.

I'd my dedicated audio card in that. Currently moving things around without trying to destroy my cable management. Since I've had kids I'm convinced my brain has gone to mush with PC things.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

My old Pcie slot for my 1080 will not fit my new GPU. It hits off against the USB hub on the motherboard.

Does it really matter if I install a GPU on another slot that fits, or will I be doing damage?

Bios looks like this
    Can you take a few pics of what you're running into?
    I doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

It does, I think he means the GPU is so long that it's overshadowing the USB3 header. One some motherboards the header is vertical not horizontal, so bigger cards can cause this issue.

Only solution is a different slot, or just sacrifice your USB3 ports on the front of the case (or get a pci-e USB3 card).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It does, I think he means the GPU is so long that it's overshadowing the USB3 header. One some motherboards the header is vertical not horizontal, so bigger cards can cause this issue.

Only solution is a different slot, or just sacrifice your USB3 ports on the front of the case (or get a pci-e USB3 card).

Oh I get you now.
    I'd sacrifice the front USB then

I must be very thick or something.
    I moved it to slot three, but it doesn't see it as slot three in Bios?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The USB3 cable is a joke, really. You do cable management the best you can, and then the USB3 cable sticks out. Why can't they make it horizontal, like the SATA ones?

My son's new motherboard has it next to the ATX 24pin power connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

move your GPU to slot 1, more your sound card somewhere else.

move your GPU to slot 1, more your sound card somewhere else.

Cant use slot one, that was the original problem. I could with my 1080ti, but the 3090 cant fit because the USB connectors and ethernet cable located there. Wonder would be safe to remove the plastic casing. It literally just needs an extra 1-3 mil to fit.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Cant use slot one, that was the original problem. I could with my 1080ti, but the 3090 cant fit because the USB connectors and ethernet cable located there. Wonder would be safe to remove the plastic casing. It literally just needs an extra 1-3 mil to fit.

Get and adaptor and vertically mount it with a riser so you can use the 16x slot?

You're bottlenecking yourself.

Get and adaptor and vertically mount it with a riser so you can use the 16x slot?

You're bottlenecking yourself.

Might be best solution.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-VGPUKT_02-Universal-Vertical-Pci/dp/B07MW73HTJ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=vertical+gpu+mount&qid=1604333444&sr=8-3

All Eyes On Rafah

Yeah, if it's compatible with your case it would be a decent solution. Can look really cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I must be very thick or something.
    I moved it to slot three, but it doesn't see it as slot three in Bios?

What motherboard model do you have?

It's possible that you have too many drives & thus some of your PCIe slots are no longer functional.
    JoyPad wrote: »
    The USB3 cable is a joke, really. You do cable management the best you can, and then the USB3 cable sticks out. Why can't they make it horizontal, like the SATA ones?

My X570 Tomahawk has 1x side-mounted USB3 port (below the SATA ports). :)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

It's possible that you have too many drives & thus some of your PCIe slots are no longer functional.

Im using an Axus x-99 Rampage V Extreme.

And yes, I am using five SSD and One HDD on the system.

All Eyes On Rafah

Are you using the USB3 connector at the bottom of the board too? Do you need all the USB3 ports? there's 10 gen 3 ports and 2 gen 2 on the back like?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Ethernet cable in the way?

For the usb 3 perhaps a 90 degree adapter would be enough to get it out of the way? Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tangxi-Motherboard-Header-Degree-Internal-default/dp/B07XF6D5FJ (packs of 5s seem to be common on Amazon with singles about as expensive from my quick glance).

Are you using the USB3 connector at the bottom of the board too? Do you need all the USB3 ports? there's 11 gen 3 ports on the back like?

Actually also have a usb 3.1 card in a slot at the back too. Using that for keyboard and mouse.

Suppose I could remove that. Am using a fair few slots at the back, since the ones at the front (four of them, are been used, regularly)

All Eyes On Rafah

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Very similar layout to mine alright.

All Eyes On Rafah

your board is weird af

slots 1, 2, 4, and 5 are x16. slot 4 and 5 will show as slots 16x_3 and 16x_4 on the bios and slot 3 will show as 4x_1.

So confusing.

any of the red slots will be fine to use, but it would be better in theory to use 16x_1

• Advertisement

your board is weird af

slots 1, 2, 4, and 5 are x16. slot 4 and 5 will show as slots 16x_3 and 16x_4 on the bios and slot 3 will show as 4x_1.

So confusing.

any of the red slots will be fine to use, but it would be better in theory to use 16x_1

Yeah, sorry if I'm not been clear about this. Been consulting the manual and everything. It's in slot 3 now, should I just put it back in slot two for the moment until I can fit it into slot one or get a vertical mount?

All Eyes On Rafah

Yeah, sorry if I'm not been clear about this. Been consulting the manual and everything. It's in slot 3 now, should I just put it back in slot two for the moment until I can fit it into slot one or get a vertical mount?

slot 3 (black slot?) is x4. it's the worst slot to use.

slot 3 (black slot?) is x4. it's the worst slot to use.

No its a red slot. Black slot is free.

Its in slot 4 for now, PCIE_X16/X8_3. (my mistake about 3, my motherboard is kinda inverted)

Which bios recommended if slot one not free, but just doest not seem to like it.

Slot 3, is the PCIe 2.0 (black one) nothing in there.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For clarity:

top_1.jpg

And OPs diagram:

531504.png

Looks like you're using the m.2 yeah? Thus scuppering slot marked with the blue 4, thus the blue 1 is the only full bandwidth slot you have.

ED E wrote: »
    Looks like you're using the m.2 yeah? Thus scuppering slot marked with the blue 4, thus the blue 1 is the only full bandwidth slot you have.

yeah, im using the m.2 for a boot drive.

wasnt aware about the bandwidth issue!

All Eyes On Rafah

Lots of boards do it unfortunately. IMO it'd be much better to drop one of the other slots but I suspect some low end CPUs that are compatible don't have enough lanes thus the malarky that goes on.

As mentioned before, you probably won't notice the difference between x8 and x16 but using x16 would be optimal.

Lads would ye like me to take some pics later to show you my setup? See where I can improve things.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't think you have any other option than to have the GPU in slot 1. Depending on the CPU you may only have a single 16x slot and depending on the motherboard and bios and firmware it can only be the first one if you have other devices attached (and you have the NVME SSD).
    I think it may make more sense to try to make the GPU fit in the first slot.

• Advertisement

90_Degree_Angled_USB_3.0_20-Pin_Internal_Header_Mini_Connector_Black_%283%29__83290_zoom.jpg

Something along these lines.

EDIT:
    From a glance you have another header in the "normal" position? Move the front USB cable to bottom edge of the board and its sorted?

Advertisement