Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pcie slots for GPU

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

ED E wrote: »
    90_Degree_Angled_USB_3.0_20-Pin_Internal_Header_Mini_Connector_Black_%283%29__83290_zoom.jpg

Something along these lines.

EDIT:
    From a glance you have another header in the "normal" position? Move the front USB cable to bottom edge of the board and its sorted?

I'll have a look when kids are asleep. Top risky to open up now! :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Loweface

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Profile-USB-3-0-Header-Extender-Cable-/264038809371

Could be another option, similar to the 90 degree adapter but a bit more flexible. Disclaimer: Complete novice!

So an update.

I removed the creative AE5 soundcard and USB 3.1 card and now it turns at x16 native.

Still red error in Bios, but think that should be alright?

All Eyes On Rafah

ED E wrote: »
    EDIT:
    From a glance you have another header in the "normal" position? Move the front USB cable to bottom edge of the board and its sorted?

Sorry, but not exactly able to find this. Still looking.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sorry, but not exactly able to find this. Still looking.

Bottom of the board

• Advertisement

That's how my mobo is currently looking

The card is above.

All Eyes On Rafah

My other worry, but the card so high as seen here, could damage the connections?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

You should be using this slot, closest to the CPU.

That slot shouldn't interfer with anything, it's be over the SATA connectors and shouldn't touch the USB 3, but if it doesm, don't use the USB3.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=531553&stc=1&d=1604356165

You should be using this slot, closest to the CPU.

That slot shouldn't interfer with anything, it's be over the SATA connectors and shouldn't touch the USB 3, but if it doesm, don't use the USB3.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=531553&stc=1&d=1604356165
    Cheers,

Yeah that was original slot for my 1080ti but the 3090 wont fit, keeps hitting the 'Extreme' case that houses the USB, etc. So unless I vertical mount, which not sure that's an option yet, or may have to remove that casing or ports.

All Eyes On Rafah

Cheers,

Yeah that was original slot for my 1080ti but the 3090 wont fit, keeps hitting the 'Extreme' case that houses the USB, etc. So unless I vertical mount, which not sure that's an option yet, or may have to remove that casing or ports.

Use the next one down so?

• Advertisement

Use the next one down so?

That's what I moved it to and gave me x8 native.

Current one, slot four, now giving me x16 native

All Eyes On Rafah

Such a weird board.

Vertical mount and riser would be my work around so.

Such a weird board.

Cheers, I'll consider it :)

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I don't think he can use a vertical mount if he has other PCIe cards. Those mounts usually take up all the PCIe slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

I'd recommend a L shape USB3 adapter, and if not just forego the USB3. There's plenty around the back.

djan wrote: »
    I'd recommend a L shape USB3 adapter, and if not just forego the USB3. There's plenty around the back.

Cheers, I'll look into it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Do you mean it is hitting the shield over the rear IO connectors? Coloured black with Extreme written on it.

Up until now I think everyone here thought that you meant it was oversailing the USB header that's built in to the motherboard on far end. Red connector with pins next to your Sata connectors.

If I'm right your problem makes more sense now but I'm afraid I have no solution.

Do you mean it is hitting the shield over the rear IO connectors? Coloured black with Extreme written on it.

Up until now I think everyone here thought that you meant it was oversailing the USB header that's built in to the motherboard on far end. Red connector with pins next to your Sata connectors.

If I'm right your problem makes more sense now but I'm afraid I have no solution.

Yeah, it's hitting the shield. Is it safe to remove that or best to keep it on?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Cordell

https://www.asus.com/media/global/products/SNYTZvOdMa6xGWYL/b1Ejrqqd7qcYir69_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
    It looks like it's a heatsink rather than a simple shield. I can't see any fins so it won't be doing too much, especially if you're running an AIO with no airflow in that area, but still I wouldn't remove it.

LE: Actually, I though about it some more. If you're not pushing the power delivery with a top end CPU and you're not overclocking, I think you can just remove it. I don't think it does anything for VRM cooling anyway. Or you can cut it a bit to make the GPU fit but make absolutely sure that this is the only thing that prevents it to fit, and make sure you don't bend or nick the heatpipe. Do a test fit and a test run to verify that it fits and it runs at 16x.

So update.

Managed to push down the 'extreme' compartment a lil bit more, small bit of jigging around.

GPU now working x16 native in slot one.

USB 3.1 hub and soundcard both working in other slots.

Problem seems to be solved.

Cheers for all the advice and help in here. It's greatly appreciated. I owe some of ye beer.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
Advertisement