Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build comparable to XBox Series X

Options
  • 02-11-2020 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all, would really appreciate a second opinion on this build please. I've built a few PCs for myself over the years but still very much a beginner!

My younger brother has asked me for a PC for christmas, as his 10 year old build has just died. He mainly plays games and some light school work. It's a PC or a next gen console but not both, so as we are going PC! I want it to be able to keep up with/outperform next gen consoles for a few years, mainly regarding 60fps at 1440p or 4K. Games on gamepass and steam.

My main questions are around:
    Would a ryzen 3600 be sufficient, I am imaging that the 5600 is going to be like gold dust before christmas?
    Is it worth getting the 570 motherboard so that we could upgrade to the 5600 later down the line? It looks to me that there is a 20-30% gain moving from 3600 to 5600, will that be important to game at 60fps 1440p for the coming few years?

1. What is your budget? €500-700 for everything except the graphics card which I already have.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming and college work.
    Games from gamepass and steam including minecraft, ESO, final fantasy, battlefront, rainbow 6 siege, cyberpunk, new elder scrolls if it ever arrives!

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Has a 4k monitor/tv, keyboard and mouse, headset, xbox controller, and a copy of windows already.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Online

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP in time for Christmas

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?

Pcpartpicker:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4b9hgt

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Already have a ryzen wraith cooler
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.49 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Already have a 2070 super EVGA that I could step up to a 3080.
    Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
    Total: $699.42
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-02 11:45 EST-0500

I have the parts added on amazon.de and inc. shipping it's coming to €730.

As I said, just needs to do 60fps at decent resolution for next few years. I'm not sure if I'm going overkill altogether or am I in the right area spec wise?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

You might as well get a 3700X if you were considering the 5600X at any point at all.

New consoles are built around 3700X level CPU and so those extra cores and threads are gonna be important for longevity.

There is no need to get the 5600X over the 3600 for a 60fps build really, especially not when it's so much more expensive.

If you were making a 144hz build then sure, but in your case, a 3700X makes sense.

Either that, or a 3600 now, and ponder upgrades two years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Build looks fine. No need for a 5600. 3600 is more than fine for now.

If you need more power down the line you can upgrade to the 5700 in a couple of years time.

The build is overkill for 1080p/60hz though. It's good enough for 1080p/144hz or 1440p/100hz+.

You could just get a better monitor later.

Advertisement