Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 10th November 2020

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Unless you go for the Intel chip 13” that they are still selling which speaks volumes.

What do you mean exactly by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Unless you go for the Intel chip 13” that they are still selling which speaks volumes.

For now. Come back to this thread in two years and see how many Intel Macs are available to buy.

They were not going to throw the baby out with bath water today.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

BIG SUR finally has a release date !!! Thursday !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I know it's an ancient complaint at this point but they really do take the mick if you want to upgrade any component. On the Mac Mini it's €226 for an extra 8GB of RAM and the same to go from a 256GB SSD to 512GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

grbear wrote: »
    I know it's an ancient complaint at this point but they really do take the mick if you want to upgrade any component. On the Mac Mini it's €226 for an extra 8GB of RAM and the same to go from a 256GB SSD to 512GB.

Yes, but . . . and there's always a 'but' with Apple . . . regarding RAM unless I'm mistaken the RAM is on-board the M1 system on a chip (SOC) so that means that it's not a separate component. So, actually, its power might not be measurable in quite the same way as on other systems.

You might find that 16gb performs more like a more powerful spec. Take the iPhones, people have been giving out for years that the Pro phones only have 4 or 6GB of Ram, but because Apple controls all aspects of the software and hardware, there is no performance lag on these devices and they frequently outperform other smartphones with greater specs. That's why Apple doesn't mention these specs in its keynotes etc. It likes to think it sells 'experiences' rather than specifications.

Whether you buy that or not is of course entirely up to you. But I think we're looking at something new with the M1 chip and we won't know for sure how they perform until people start using them and testing them.

• Advertisement

Am I going mad or is the MacBook Air only now available with the M1 chip if one wants to buy new?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Am I going mad or is the MacBook Air only now available with the M1 chip if one wants to buy new?
    that would be apples whole plan of using there own chips

Yes indeed. I'm just surprised that they didn't keep at least one Intel-based Air as they have done with the Pro and Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Not sure why you'd go for the pro over the air here. They look extremely similar only with the pro you're paying extra for the completely useless touchbar. I think I'd actually be willing to pay extra not to have it.

Why buy a Pro when the Air has the same chip? Does the fan in the Pro really make a difference to performance by keeping the chip cool?
    Who wants to pay extra for the Touch Bar ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There must be other differences between the new Air and the Pro. The Air uses a 30w power supply, the Pro a 61w. There must be something that necessitates the big difference in power consumption.

The base Air uses 7 cores while the top Air and MBP use all 8 cores. The MBP has a fan to keep things cooler so the system can work harder for longer.

Neither of which would make me pay €200 more for the Pro over the Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

Anyone here think the first few generation of ARM Mac's will have shorter upgrade cycles compared to intel mac's already out ?
    We have seen similar with other Apple devices (Like iPhone's, iPad's and Apple Watches)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Wanted to pull the trigger on a Macbook 16, but it's still got the intel 9th gen chip, poor webcam and doesn't support wifi6. I was expecting all these would have been upgraded after this event regardless whether it got the new ARM processors or not.

Anyone know why the M1 chip in the Pro doesn't come with 32GB of RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

digiman wrote: »
    Wanted to pull the trigger on a Macbook 16, but it's still got the intel 9th gen chip, poor webcam and doesn't support wifi6. I was expecting all these would have been upgraded after this event regardless whether it got the new ARM processors or not.

Anyone know why the M1 chip in the Pro doesn't come with 32GB of RAM?

It can’t support it.

I’d be be holding off until Apple has designed a whole machine around the chip. Also, I’d need to see how the software compatibility shakes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple said the transition plan was 2 years so by WWDC 2022 I’d imagine we’ll start to see Apple drop support for Intel completely in newer macOS releases. I know intel will be properly supported for roughly 5 years before those macs move to legacy support.

I’d imagine in 2 years time we’ll have a full range of ARM macs and any issues will be resolved by then.

I’m personally waiting on the rumoured 14” MacBook Pro. Hopefully that will have a second-gen M-series chip with better support by then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Apple said the transition plan was 2 years so by WWDC 2022 I’d imagine we’ll start to see Apple drop support for Intel completely in newer macOS releases.

I don't see it will happen in 2 years where they completely stop new version of MacOS running on Intel. I would say it could take more than 2 years for many popular Apps to even be written for ARM. Especially Apps that aren't written in Swift, since it isn't easy to compile them for ARM. I would say 5+ years before this happening.

But any new major feature could be exclusive to ARM based Mac's, the new OS will be run on Intel but won't have all features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

drogon. wrote: »
    I don't see it will happen in 2 years where they completely stop new version of MacOS running on Intel. I would say it could take more than 2 years for many popular Apps to even be written for ARM. Especially Apps that aren't written in Swift, since it isn't easy to compile them for ARM. I would say 5+ years before this happening.

But any new major feature could be exclusive to ARM based Mac's, the new OS will be run on Intel but won't have all features.

Yeah sorry that’s why I meant. Apple will start to focus purely on ARM and start to stop support for intel macs. I’d be confident that they will probably eliminate intel chips from the Mac lineup by then too.

Also, although Apple usually supports older macs with macOS for a good few years I could see the number of years reduced because of the transition.

Advertisement