Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Details Requested Over Phone for Medical Scan

Options
  • 02-11-2020 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was referred to a private clinic by my GP for a scan, was then phoned by this clinic to organise an appointment. Was informed they require payment up front and to my shock they requested my card details over the phone (including CVV).

They were calling from the official number of the clinic and knew the details of my scan, so after after expressing my surprise and asking if there was no other way, against my better judgement I gave the details.

No money has left my account yet but I received a card authorisation from "Medserv".

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? Seems highly unprofessional.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I would say its completely normal, just like a hotel or restaurant taking the details to hold a booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've paid for furniture, windows and hotel bookings by calling out all of my card details to someone over the phone. It's not as unusual as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Nothing unusual at all. Quite common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Completely normal, nothing wrong with it.

The CVV is required because it's a customer not present transction.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That’s how card payments over the phone work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Saudades

Personally I would never do it. You're at risk of fraud from the person on the other end of the phone line. Why not just go down to the clinic and pay in person, or ask them for their IBAN and pay electronically.

Saudades wrote: »
    Personally I would never do it. You're at risk of fraud from the person on the other end of the phone line. Why not just go down to the clinic and pay in person, or ask them for their IBAN and pay electronically.

Yes, I'll travel for two hours to present my card then two hours home again.

I've given card details by phone for decades without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Saudades

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yes, I'll travel for two hours to present my card then two hours home again.

The OP never mentions anything about the clinic being two hours away.

I also wrote "or ask them for their IBAN and pay electronically".
    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I've given card details by phone for decades without issue

Good, but that doesn't minimize any future risk of fraud. You just don't know who's on the other end of that phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

Good, but that doesn't minimize any future risk of fraud. You just don't know who's on the other end of that phone line.

When you ring up a hotel to book a stay you are always asked for your details including CVV number so it would seem normal to me

No the OP didn't but I did. Not everybody lives beside places they make payments to.

I'd have some messing looking for IBAN etc every time I tried booking a hotel or phoned in an order to have some flowers delivered.

I order heating oil by phone and would have some fun if I then said 'give your IBAN now so I can make the payment'.

Do you look for IBAN when giving card details for a restaurant booking?

How many times a year have you actually booked something or paid a deposit having gotten the vendors IBAN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If this was Affidea, they've changed policy recently where even if you do have Insurance that covers the scan, you need to give card details to secure the booking. Not sure if it was because of no shows or what but they never did this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As everyone has said, totally and completely normal.

It's the 4 digit pin number that you never give out. But long number, expiry date and cvv number is what is required for remote transactions.

The place taking the details has to follow a process to keep your details safe and hold the records for 6 months.

They also take total responsibility for the transaction. If they do a transaction and it is disputed, it is they that must prove it was a valid transaction.

So total and complete protection for the card holder

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭3d4life

alias no.9 wrote: »
    If this was Affidea, they've changed policy recently where even if you do have Insurance that covers the scan, you need to give card details to secure the booking. Not sure if it was because of no shows or what but they never did this before.

A few years ago I booked a scan with same, was assured it was covered ( direct payment ) by some med ins that I have. On arrival for scan was told it was not covered and payment demanded. No card with me so left them to it. Turned out their cash price for the scan was approaching double what another scan company subsequently did it for.

Advertisement