Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No response from sellers Solicitors

Options
  • 02-11-2020 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I have a strange one here.

I am ready to go to purchase a house, have all my side in order and ready to sign the contracts etc.

But my solicitor has informed me that the sellers solicitor is uncontactable and furthermore after talking to the estate agent and advising him off this last week I am still none the wiser.

The seller is also ready to go as I am and my solicitor is on the ball.

I have tried the solicitor on the sellers side and both their phone numbers are disconnected or offline.

We are 8 weeks from the start of putting the deposit in to getting loan approval.

Would it be an idea to drive to the solicitors office to see if it is still actually open for my own piece of mind ?

I know my own solicitor will persist but I am bewildered what to do next ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I have a strange one here.

I am ready to go to purchase a house, have all my side in order and ready to sign the contracts etc.

But my solicitor has informed me that the sellers solicitor is uncontactable and furthermore after talking to the estate agent and advising him off this last week I am still none the wiser.

The seller is also ready to go as I am and my solicitor is on the ball.

I have tried the solicitor on the sellers side and both their phone numbers are disconnected or offline.

We are 8 weeks from the start of putting the deposit in to getting loan approval.

Would it be an idea to drive to the solicitors office to see if it is still actually open for my own piece of mind ?

I know my own solicitor will persist but I am bewildered what to do next ?

If you have the contact details of the sellers maybe drop them a friendly word and ask them are they still proceeding with the sale.
    It is best you don't contact their solicitor it's not your place to do so tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

If you have the contact details of the sellers maybe drop them a friendly word and ask them are they still proceeding with the sale.
    It is best you don't contact their solicitor it's not your place to do so tbh.

No problem and as I am a first time buyer I have never been down this road.

As far as I am aware and as per the estate agent he said they (the seller) are 100% ready to go also but what I find strange is that the sellers solicitor is completely uncontactable.

At this late stage could the seller change solicitors as it appears from day 1 their solicitor has never engaged with mine at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No problem and as I am a first time buyer I have never been down this road.

As far as I am aware and as per the estate agent he said they (the seller) are 100% ready to go also but what I find strange is that the sellers solicitor is completely uncontactable.

At this late stage could the seller change solicitors as it appears from day 1 their solicitor has never engaged with mine at all.

They can change solicitor whenever they want. As I said get in contact with them if you can, tell them you are keen to proceed but cannot wait indefinitely.

They can change solicitor whenever they want. As I said get in contact with them if you can, tell them you are keen to proceed but cannot wait indefinitely.

Thanks for the information much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I still don't think it would be a bad idea to see are they still trading / active , although with covid it may be they're working from home , so not easy ..
    I've had direct experience of a purchasers solicitor who was just "too busy " to be bothered with a small sale ...our solicitor resorted to sending registered letters to arrange phone calls - I'm not joking - took 6 months of grief -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    I still don't think it would be a bad idea to see are they still trading / active , although with covid it may be they're working from home , so not easy ..
    I've had direct experience of a purchasers solicitor who was just "too busy " to be bothered with a small sale ...our solicitor resorted to sending registered letters to arrange phone calls - I'm not joking - took 6 months of grief -

True but no answer to the first letter sent to them this day two months ago, I would say they are not trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

All legal services are deemed essential during Level 5 lockdown.

So there should be no delay or issues in legal services being administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

It took weeks for the vendors solicitor to respond to ours when we bought our first house. Vendors solicitor was "unexpectedly on leave" at one stage after ignoring us for 2 weeks when they were in the office (holiday abroad it turned out but they failed to let our solicitor know so he could sort more stuff out before they disappeared).

Best thing to do is to get your solicitor to send registered enquiries, and keep in contact with the estate agent - the agent wants their commission and the house off their books asap as well.

Just an update the estate agent has got the solicitor finally and his excuse was that the seller was slow in responding to him (a total lie as I know the person and has been very eager to move the sale along), anyhow I was assured by the estate agent that my solicitor should get the contracts before the end of the week fingers crossed.

Thank you all for your help and information :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Has the vendor got a new property lined up
    They could be telling you one thing and their solicitor another

• Advertisement
Advertisement