Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B2W - New Road Bike

Options
  • 02-11-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm currently researching road bikes to purchase via B2W.

Looking to spend anywhere between €1250 to probably €1800 depending on what is available, willing to stretch further if there's something really worthwhile. To give some context, I cycle a good bit during the summer and commute year round but I haven't a clue when it comes to components and all the rest of it. Typically 100km+ days bikepacking during the summer and have my eye on some Audax events but would still like just a pure road bike rather than any touring or cx bike.

I'm currently on an entry level 2011 Felt Z100 that I bought second hand, upgraded the wheels on it but that is all.

Any advice appreciated, hoping this is a good time of year to be buying a bike?

Based in Dublin / Waterford, willing to buy online also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I know you say you want a pure road bike, but I'd say get something with wider tyre clearance so you can swap around different sets of wheels depending on what you want to ride. And go for disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭headbanger.

jive wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm currently researching road bikes to purchase via B2W.

Looking to spend anywhere between €1250 to probably €1800 depending on what is available, willing to stretch further if there's something really worthwhile. To give some context, I cycle a good bit during the summer and commute year round but I haven't a clue when it comes to components and all the rest of it. Typically 100km+ days bikepacking during the summer and have my eye on some Audax events but would still like just a pure road bike rather than any touring or cx bike.

I'm currently on an entry level 2011 Felt Z100 that I bought second hand, upgraded the wheels on it but that is all.

Any advice appreciated, hoping this is a good time of year to be buying a bike?

Based in Dublin / Waterford, willing to buy online also.

Thanks

I'd get a modern endurance/"all-road" bike - a road bike with disc brakes and generous tyre clearance, usually such bikes also have mounts for mudguards and sometimes mounts for a rear rack. For example, Trek Domane AL disc, Giant Contend AR, Orbea Avant, Scott Speedster. 1800 euro should get you a bike with alu frame and 105 hydro groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd go for an endurance type road bike for that type of cycling - something like a Giant Defy, Canyon Endurace, Cannondale Synapse. All brands will have something in this range. Aside from the groupset, the other differentiating factor is probably the wheels but these can be upgraded.

Disc brakes are great but if you are only cycling in dry weather, I don't think they are essential. If you do get discs, make sure you get hydraulic ones. They will be great for commuting - in my case I would keep the older bike for commuting.

In terms of components - in that sort of price range, you are looking at Shimano 105 disc. You might get Ultegra rim brake (a small weight saving but relatively little in performance terms), Ultegra disc would probably only be if you find a very good deal on sale or with a discounted brand (maybe Vitus, Planet X etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Thanks for the tips folks.

I am thinking of going for this, how does the spec look for the money? This only fits up to 30mm but I think that's sufficient for what I'd want to do with this bike.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/DBCL2044221/planet-x-pro-carbon-disc-sram-rival-22-road-bike----medium---blue#size-geometry

non-demo bike with full spec here:
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXPCDRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-disc-sram-rival-22-road-bike

Edit:

I will keep using the second hand felt Z100 I got for €300 7 years ago, mainly because I work in Dublin city and mentally losing a €1500 bike would be harder to take. Also for the sake of longevity of the 'nice' bike. My commute has gone from 20km to 6km so I'd do it on any bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

can you use your BTW scheme voucher on a UK website? i asked Ribble online chat and they said no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

who_ru wrote: »
    can you use your BTW scheme voucher on a UK website? i asked Ribble online chat and they said no.

Not 100%, apparently it depends on how your employer administers the Cycle to Work scheme. If they are using a 3rd party (i.e. biketowork or similar) you're stuck using whatever retailers they deal with.

I know PlanetX ireland used to exist but not sure if they were affiliated with the UK entity, or if they have an Irish VAT - need to check this

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Giant defy advanced 2 2020 I have and its amazing. It floats along the road and is very quick. I can get it up to 50klm not a bother.

It has D fuse technology in the front and rear in where the bike flexes over rough surfaces yet is stiff on the straights. A guy I know bought an alu rose road bike, stunning looking, with carbon wheels for 1600 yet he said it still vibrates/buzzes on the road so I'd go for carbon at the very least.

Unless you are racing, you only need 105, tiagra is good but the 105 is another level. Very smooth shifting and its bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

jive wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips folks.

I am thinking of going for this, how does the spec look for the money? This only fits up to 30mm but I think that's sufficient for what I'd want to do with this bike.

non-demo bike with full spec here:
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXPCDRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-disc-sram-rival-22-road-bike

I've been looking at this one too (not on BTW) so would also be interested in opinions on the pro-carbon. It's been around for quite some time and has availability - which so many are struggling with right now.

Any opinions from more experienced or owners would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Was in a similar situation recently OP.

I bought a Giant Contend sl1 Disc and i love it. The Contend AR was a very close second. They both have clearence for wider tyres with the Contend AR perhaps being more bike packing friendly. Both come with 105 groupset, 105 hydro brakes which is more then enough.

https://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/bikes-contend-ar-2021

https://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/bikes-contend-sl-disc-2021

Advertisement