Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All.

A fair number of below standard posts , one liners etc. deleted from overnight.

I know it's a long slog , but let's keep the standards up please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There is a caveat with Arizona - a large amount of assumptions that postal votes skew blue. There is a longstanding significant postal vote in Arizona among Republicans, so will be more represented in the postal votes than elsewhere. This is however a certain section of the republican population, traditional Arizona McCain voters, probably the Republicans most likely to vote against Trump.
    Yeah, that's the query I have over all the data. Are the postal votes tagged by county or do they just 'float' over the whole state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    All.

A fair number of below standard posts , one liners etc. deleted from overnight.

I know it's a long slog , but let's keep the standards up please.

fair play , i'd have given up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Morning everyone. Slept like a log last night after only getting the sole hour the night before.

So when do we expect to know Arizona and Georgia results?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the query I have over all the data. Are the postal votes tagged by county or do they just 'float' over the whole state?

By county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

just watching cnn
    2 separate groups of trump fans

'stop the vote stop the vote stop the vote'

'count the vote count the vote count the vote'

this is a chris morris sketch or black mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Trump or one of his offspring

Highly doubt it. He's bleeding GOP support at the moment and if/when he loses this election, Deutsche Bank are waiting in the wings to seize his assets if he can't pay back his debts. Things are going to get very messy for the Trump clan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

By county
    In that case, if the split remains the same, even if it goes 50/50 or reverses, I don't see a path to victory in Arizona for Trump. Giving him a 20-40% margin in the (estimated) remaining votes just about gets the gap to 30k. All the caveats thrown in of course. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a tradition at the new presidents inauguration for the outgoing president to leave a letter for the incoming one, and here's Bush when he conceded to Clinton.
    I just can't imagine how it's going to go when Trump is on his way out, he'll trash the country out of spite in the next couple of months before storming out.

https://twitter.com/Freedland/status/1324280879561232385

Highly doubt it. He's bleeding GOP support at the moment and if/when he loses this election, Deutsche Bank are waiting in the wings to seize his assets if he can't pay back his debts. Things are going to get very messy for the Trump clan.

If the Trumpist's unite around one candidate, I wouldn't rule out one of the family being in the frame, regardless of what the GOP want. They didn't want Trump in 2016 remember, but could do nothing about it. A political run from within the family may be their only option to keep the wolf from the door. Essentially using MAGA themed merchandise, book deals, cable TV shows and events to keep some revenue rolling in to maintain the successful family facade, scamming every penny they can from their base as they go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Kathy Barnette, GOP congressional candidate in Pennsylvania, on Fox news just now compared the US election to elections in Afghanistan.

A tale of two elections apparently. Leading at the start and suddenly all these postal ballots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One would presume that postal votes get delivered to the relevant district rather than a central counting centre for the state, but maybe I'm wrong.

Nobody seems to be indicating any question over Az. There are about 400k votes to count and Biden is up by 70k. Which means that Trump will need to win 59% of these in order to take Az. Unless there's a very serious shift back towards him, that seems very unlikely.

Biden seems to be climbing in a lot of those other marginal states.

The AP tracker on Google is giving 264 electoral college votes to Biden. Which means he just needs one more of the outstanding states to get over the line. And by all accounts it looks like either NV or PA will definitely come in for him.

Biden needs to take the remaining votes in PA 60:40 to win it, and everyone seems confident that's going to happen.

Georgia is probably a no go on the numbers. Biden would need a huge number of the last few votes to go his way.

All eyes are on PA now because if that swings to Biden, it's game over. No amount of recounts or bullsh1t lawsuits is going to turn the election back to Trump. He only really needs Nevada, but if it's 270 -v- 268 and Nevada is marginal, the lying and complaining and endless lawsuits will be insufferable. If Biden wins by 290 (or even 296), the GOP will tell Donnie to go and fight his own battles and will abandon him to focus on the next thing.

PA not expected to publish a final count until tomorrow, so stands to be a bit of a nail biter day.

In that case, if the split remains the same, even if it goes 50/50 or reverses, I don't see a path to victory in Arizona for Trump. Giving him a 20-40% margin in the (estimated) remaining votes just about gets the gap to 30k. All the caveats thrown in of course. :)

I cant see it either, but its not as straighforward with the postal votes as WI, MI or PA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Is nothing happening now for the next few hours? Do they stop the counts overnight so people can go home and sleep?

• Administrators Posts: 53,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shelga wrote: »
    Is nothing happening now for the next few hours? Do they stop the counts overnight so people can go home and sleep?

No the counts don't stop.

Call me Al wrote: »
    Kathy Barnette, GOP congressional candidate in Pennsylvania, on Fox news just now compared the US election to elections in Afghanistan.

A tale of two elections apparently. Leading at the start and suddenly all these postal ballots.

Shameless

https://twitter.com/Kathy4Truth/status/1323877905651453952

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

awec wrote: »
    No the counts don't stop.

Nevada has till Thursday morning, i think all the others are still going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Call me Al wrote: »

She would say that, she's failed in her attempt to be elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

She would say that, she's failed in her attempt to be elected.

And of course the whole problem with the GOP is the rank disingenuousness that pervades their every word. If Trump was benefiting from this exact scenario they'd be singing its praises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I just woke up - what's the story with AZ? AP seem to have called it on their map but I saw a tweet from nate Silver saying it's still very close (from hours ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

From Republican statements the Republicans themselves see their path to victory being AZ, PA, NC, Georgia.

This is good. With only 1 path left (since they seem to think Nevada unlikely themselves) it just needs one more thing to go Bidens way. I figure Republican camp will be biased for Republicans so if they see Nevada as finished it likely is.

Will be happier when this is done with and certain. While both sides are projecting confidence Trump and his aides various meltdowns make me wonder if the strategists have given up in private?

Edit: on AZ, AP and Fox called that weirdly early on the basis of mail in ballots expected to go for Biden but I think AZ Republicans have a history of mailing in ballots so it will be close.

On the Georgia race mentioned above, there will be a run off vote since no one got 50%. Running a second candidate won't hurt them since they will now have a 1 vs 1.

Seems in Georgia special senate election republicans split their own vote by running 2 candidates

YaCYQfY.png

Al Gore's running mate's son (Lieberman) was running for the Democrats in that as well but last I saw he was polling in low single digits and facing calls to drop out to boost Warnock

Biden is 64K votes ahead with 86% counted

Most of the votes left to count are in Maricopa County which includes Phoenix

OK thanks. I saw something on the 538 blog about a batch coming in from that county where Trump was ahead by 20% so I guess it's not going to be all Dem majority areas there but hopefully it will overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Watching CNN here - the people counting the votes in Georgia are volunteers??? At least in Ireland people get paid to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Do the US vote for a particular Red/Blue local candidate in each county or do they have to vote just directly for Trump/Biden?

OK thanks. I saw something on the 538 blog about a batch coming in from that county where Trump was ahead by 20% so I guess it's not going to be all Dem majority areas there but hopefully it will overall

If you look at the data, there are a lot of Trump counties with outstanding ballots, however Maricopa (Pheonix) and Pima (Tuscon) are the overwhelming population centres in the state

531849.JPG

AP, Fox News & The Guardian all have Biden on 264.
    538 have him on 253
    BBC have him on 243

Looks like AZ is the difference b/n 253 and 264
    Not sure what BBC are up to but their site says they use Reuters for their data - looks like Reuters have not officially called Wisconsin - probably over the recount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If you look at the data, there are a lot of Trump counties with outstanding ballots, however Maricopa (Pheonix) and Pima (Tuscon) are the overwhelming population centres in the state

531849.JPG

based on the population centre sizes its though to see how he can turn it sufficiently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

retalivity wrote: »
    Watching CNN here - the people counting the votes in Georgia are volunteers??? At least in Ireland people get paid to do it.

I see their count room last night and it just looks totally disorganised.

Loads of people in not clearly defined areas and papers everywhere.

Remember the count involves after verification taking them out of envelopes, flattening them out and feeding them into an optcal reader which does the counting.

When you compare to count centres here where it looks all organised and they deal with a more complicated PR system with multiple candidates I find it bizzare how long the remaining states are taking to count the last ballots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,286 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MattS1 wrote: »
    Do the US vote for a particular Red/Blue local candidate in each county or do they have to vote just directly for Trump/Biden?

There are multiple entries on the ballot. You vote for the House and for the Presidency and possibly others too. But all directly by name

Advertisement