Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

See my post above yours about the ruling.

If the USPS has done anything illegitimate or there is any sign of ****ery on their part then let's see the evidence. I'm not doubting it, but I'm sure the democratic operatives / lawyers will be bringing it to the attention of the people and the courts if that's the case.

I don't care whether this is ****ery, incompetence or just bad luck. The point remains that if people send ballots long before the deadline, and through some quirk of fate they are not delivered by election day, there should be a window under which they are still eligible for being counted.

"Arrive within N days of election and be postmarked on or before election day" is quite a fair rule. Extending this to also include "Does not have a legible post mark but is part of a batch of post where the majority of mail is post marked on or before election day" is also fair and reasonable.

tl;dr A democratic and fair election should be flexible enough to account for expected issues, but strict enough to protect against fraud.

EDIT:
    I haven't heard a good reason why ballots lacking any verification that they were posted before the election being counted after the election is a good thing.

If USPS can't deliver letters on time, why should you be dependent on them actually postmarking letters on time too? If they're failing at one they're highly likely to fail at the other.

Bear in mind, ballots do not *lack any verification*. They'll be part of bundles of mail and those bundles should be dateable even if some individual items lack a postmark. Either way, handing USPS the responsibility to validate legal votes is definitely not democratic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned, but I think every election should require a voter to turn up at a polling station on election day.

No pre-voting weeks before Election Day or postal votes (where postmarks are being debated!!).

The only exception should be postal votes for the verifiably infirmed or hospitalised.

The American system is ripe for fraud.

The measures were brought in because of Covid and makes sense.

Postal votes must be verified and batches signed off.
    You can't just bring 100,000 postal votes to a centre and dump them as being claimed.

No evidence whatsoever of fraud. Also why is the fraud only benefitting Democrats and not republicans.

It's only being brought up by losing Republicans, and should simply be ignored.

People turning up to vote is also subject to fraud too by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned, but I think every election should require a voter to turn up at a polling station on election day.

No pre-voting weeks before Election Day or postal votes (where postmarks are being debated!!).

The only exception should be postal votes for the verifiably infirmed or hospitalised.

The American system is ripe for fraud.

And yet fraud is not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

61k to be counted in Georgia as of 5 minutes ago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I like the drama but I do want to Biden to be called soon. My nerves!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I haven't heard a good reason why ballots lacking any verification that they were posted before the election being counted after the election is a good thing.

1. Because it's perfectly legal and perfectly acceptable in the state in question.
    2. Nobody gets disenfranchised.

So what are the bad points of doing this considering each vote sent out will be serialised so it will be very obvious if there is fraud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭jasonb

bennyl10 wrote: »

According to AP Trump has a 18,144 lead there, so Biden needs 79.7% of those votes to catch Trump. Assuming the AP figure is up to date and has everything bar those 61k...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

CNN say Pennsylvania won't be called today as there are 120,000 votes in Philadelphia alone to be called. Around 700,000 votes total to be counted state-wide. Seems to bode well for Biden if current voting trends continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,747 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I feel very sorry for all those states that flipped if the orange fella wins. I imagine the republicans are gonna try put more serious curbs on postal votes after this too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

So if Biden wins Georgia, that technically brings the 269 tie back in play doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

quokula wrote: »
    Must be a weird atmosphere counting somewhere like California, seeing the state already called the second the polls close and then quietly counting millions upon millions of ballots while the country completely ignores them and focuses on much smaller states where votes count for more due to the archaic electoral college system.

Not really. California is a whopping 55 votes. That's a full fifth of the way to win, from one state. A California Democrat can sit back, satisfied that he's given his candidate a great headstart. California Republicans, of course, are less happy about it.
    everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PaulBlu/status/1324349677660184585?s=19

This needs to be acknowledged.

It was Trump's plan to downplay the virus, get his supporters to the polls on the day and as democrats would most likely post their ballots to reduce COVID exposure, declare victory on the night and set the narrative that the postal votes were rigged.

This was all by design.

What, the fact that Michigan and Wisconsin, at least, have always allowed mail-in voters to change their mind and withdraw their vote (and thus the mail-in votes cannot be tallied ahead of time) is part of a plot to rig election victory? In that case, why didn't the Republicans running Florida think of such a dastardly scheme, when they presume that a mailed-in ballot cannot be changed and allow counting early?

I'm sorry if Mr Blumenthal thinks that speed of result reporting is the most important factor. Most of us can afford to wait a few days.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Can I defend that one? ;)
    Within reason (and I define that as having been postmarked within the normal postal time to get to the centre by polling day) I can't see why properly postmarked votes that get to the centre after polling day shouldn't be counted.

An interesting problem occurred in Florida back in the Gore/Bush days, when Gore attempted to ensure (in fairness, in accordance with Florida law) that no ballots without a valid postmark were counted. The catch is that military mail is not postmarked. That resulted in some backlash. Presumably they've figured out how to square that circle since.
    Shelga wrote: »
    Any chance of hundreds of thousands of incoming military votes swinging things either way? How do they figure in the electoral college?

Hopefully they didn't take too well to being called losers by Trump.

Active military personnel get to choose their home of record for all purposes (Voter registration, driving licenses, car registration, tax reporting) as either the address at which they entered service (i.e. their home county), or as their current permanent posting location. As a result, there are many arguments for a California soldier posted to Ft Hood, Texas, to register in Bell County, Texas (No income tax, 10% car registration costs etc) and vote locally, but a Texas airman posted to Edwards Air Force Base in California would likely wish to retain his home of record in Texas and vote by mail in Texas elections.
    When overseas (on a ship, wherever), the mail-in vote goes to whatever home of record that they have chosen. As military personnel disproportionately come from Southern/SouthEastern US to begin with, combined with the Tax-free states such as Florida or Texas having large military communities and bases, they will have a larger impact there in the mail-in-tally than other locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

jasonb wrote: »
    According to AP Trump has a 18,144 lead there, so Biden needs 79.7% of those votes to catch Trump. Assuming the AP figure is up to date and has everything bar those 61k...

Are my maths way off or does he not 'only' need two thirds? That would give him 40,000, Trump takes 20,000 plus his 18,000 lead, which leads to Biden winning by 2,000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,929 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I don't remember any Trump supporter on here the evening of the election calling fraud.

Curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Has Trump made any TV appearance since his bizarre conference where he claimed victory?

It looks to me like he has been sulking in his bedroom with several big mac meals and his Ipad for more than 24 hours now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

jasonb wrote: »

Pretty sure 65% would be enough to get him over the line on those numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Are my maths way off or does he not 'only' need two thirds? That would give him 40,000, Trump takes 20,000 plus his 18,000 lead, which leads to Biden winning by 2,000?

You are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,286 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And its claimed that one of the counties that has a significant amount left to declare is likely to be 80% Biden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nevada update expected in 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,747 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

everlast75 wrote: »
    I don't remember any Trump supporter on here the evening of the election calling fraud.

Curious.

They are still in bed after burning all their energy shouting "check the bookies lads" " All over lads" at about 3am on Wednesday morning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

breezy1985 wrote: »
    They are still in bed after burning all their energy shouting "check the bookies lads" " All over lads" at about 3am on Wednesday morning

No more goading please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324368202139357186

Unfortunately for him that's simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭josip

circadian wrote: »
    He could be in serious trouble if found to be interfering with this, especially ignoring a court order. Bot tampering with the mail service and voting are serious federal crimes.

Remains to be seen though.

Hopefully he gets tried after January 20th and Trump neglects to give him a preemptive pardon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭jasonb

Pretty sure 65% would be enough to get him over the line on those numbers
    MattS1 wrote: »
    You are correct.

Yeah, I'm clearly still tired! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,282 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

CNN say Pennsylvania won't be called today as there are 120,000 votes in Philadelphia alone to be called. Around 700,000 votes total to be counted state-wide. Seems to bode well for Biden if current voting trends continue.

Its only 10am there, thats not really good enough.

Also, marry me Erin Burnett.

Great breakdown by Georgian officials there

seems like a big chance for Biden

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please do not dump memes here. Post deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Great breakdown by Georgian officials there

seems like a big chance for Biden

Indeed, just needs roughly two-thirds of the remaining votes, which should be easily doable given the trends so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

At what time are we expecting final Georgia call?

4/5 am

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Very soon

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement