Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Always best to take anything on Twitter like that as complete twaddle unless confirmed otherwise by somebody reputable. Many somebodys preferably.

Absolutely! However, peddlers of lies and misinformation follow the long established truism:

"Falsehood will fly, as it were, on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps, though sure, are slow and solemn, and she has neither vigour nor activity enough to pursue and overtake her enemy…" ...c.1787 sermons by Thomas Francklin.

Social Media engines have been invaded for years by those who use that as their operating principle. The whole debacle that has been Trumpism has been nourished to obesity by the principle, often attributed to Churchill's "A lie will travel halfway around the world before truth has got its boots on"!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So are trump supporters actually chanting
    COUNT THE VOTE and STOP THE COUNT depending on which state their in

I think it's easy overstate the importance of the objective truth in the post-truth age. It genuinely doesn't matter any more.

I read The Light That Failed recently and it's pretty strong on insights into Trumpism, not least in comparing him to Forza Italia, the political party as football club, where loyalty to the team is more important than anything else.

It also had this to say:
    Liberals initially believed they could erode Trump's popularity by unmasking his innumerable lies. But the avalanche of disclosures had no effect. To understand the willingness of Trump's supporters to accept his lying ways, it will help to draw on the distinction, developed by the British philosopher Bernard Williams, between 'accuracy' and 'sincerity'. People can be truthful about two states of affairs: about what occurs out there in the world and about what they feel inside. Statements about the former are judged by criteria of accuracy or inaccuracy. Statements about the second are judged by criteria of sincerity or insincerity. The former can be fact-checked, the latter cannot

Trump's most zealous fans are wholly indifferent to revelations that his statements are very often inaccurate because they believe these statements are sincere and thus 'true' in a deeper sense. Trump is constantly telling demonstrable lies. But he has been totally candid about one thing. Everything he does, including telling lies, is meant to help him 'win'.

While Williams's distinction between accuracy and sincerity helps clarify certain aspects of Trump's popularity, it falls short in important respects. For one thing, it has always seemed that Birtherism was more cynical than sincere. We propose a modified distinction, therefore: not between accuracy and sincerity but between accuracy and loyalty. To paraphrase Arendt, for Trump and his supporters, every statement of fact dissolves into a declaration of membership or allegiance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭josip

seamus wrote: »
    Janey, Trump will be incandescent if he loses PA or GA. But imagine both?

I'm getting quite a Downfall-esque feeling from Trump's panic stricken tweets and frivolous court challenges.
    Not quite the same as sending out 15 year olds sharing a rifle with 5 bullets, but equally futile.
    I wonder what the mood is in the White House right now.
    Who have already started clearing their desks and are trying to escape through enemy lines?
    How much of the country will they try to destroy before they leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

hirondelle wrote: »
    The info is displayed in percentages and obviously the populations in some of the counties are tiny. So, in short I would like to find the Trumpiest County and the Bideniest counties in the states. Some of the red (rural) counties are in the high eighties (Jackson County, KY being the current #1 for Trump at 89.2% and New York county for Biden at 84.5 %- that I have found so far).

Dunno if D.C. is broken up into counties but it regularly goes over 90% for Dems - just checked and it's 93.4% Biden with 80% counted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I'm assuming you know about sites like these? https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/results/president

I don't know if anyone has arranged the data yet to show the most extreme Biden/Trump counties yet though.

From a quick going over I see that Cleburne in Bama is 89.8% Trump. I'd say there's bound to be a few more counties in the deep South touching 90%.

EDIT: Cameron County LA is 90.9% Trump. Bottom left county in LA. 3994 total votes though.

Thanks- yes, I'm using the Guardian one and am enjoying the nerdiness of it- just wanted to see the ultras in each camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Trump supporters , it seems to be one of the most used phrases on these threads , usually in contempt.

Biden supporters , that phrase is hardly ever used for some reason.

Who do the people support who are changing the opposing messages dependent on where their hero is currently positioned in polling?

And what have Biden fans done during this counting process that you would like me to condemn?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

hirondelle wrote: »
    Thanks- yes, I'm using the Guardian one and am enjoying the nerdiness of it- just wanted to see the ultras in each camp.

I've just spent the last 15 minutes doing the same...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I'm assuming you know about sites like these? https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/results/president

I don't know if anyone has arranged the data yet to show the most extreme Biden/Trump counties yet though.

From a quick going over I see that Cleburne in Bama is 89.8% Trump. I'd say there's bound to be a few more counties in the deep South touching 90%.

EDIT: Cameron County LA is 90.9% Trump. Bottom left county in LA. 3994 total votes though.

Grant County and Arthur county in Nebraska both in the 90% regions for Trump. Mind you both counties only had about 400 votes total each.
    But in general all of Nebraksa outside the cities of Lincoln and Omaha is basically in the 70/80/90% regions for Trump, although with tiny populations in many of the counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So they reckon PA will report numbers tonight.

Trump cannot win if Biden takes this so that should be the key focus now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Grant County and Arthur county in Nebraska both in the 90% regions for Trump. Mind you both counties only had about 400 votes total each.
    But in general all of Nebraksa outside the cities of Lincoln and Omaha is basically in the 70/80/90% regions for Trump, although with tiny populations in many of the counties.

No one can beat , but might equal Dixville Notch - 100% for Biden.

Always get a bit of press , they hold the election at midnight and count right away - Only 5 Voters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

josip wrote: »
    I'm getting quite a Downfall-esque feeling from Trump's panic stricken tweets and frivolous court challenges.
    Not quite the same as sending out 15 year olds sharing a rifle with 5 bullets, but equally futile.
    I wonder what the mood is in the White House right now.
    Who have already started clearing their desks and are trying to escape through enemy lines?
    How much of the country will they try to destroy before they leave?

More than anything I want him to lose now just for the resubtitled downfall clip

Biggest percentage for Biden aside from DC seems to be San Fran? 86.3%.

And after Dixville too.

This must be excruciating for Trump and his supporters to see all of these states fall one by one : Wisconsin, Michigan, probably Pennsylvania, possibly Georgia. Hell there was even a bizarrely long time on election night when Virginia was red!

What's even worse is that there were many periods throughout the past 2 days where things looked really optimistic for him. They say "it's the hope that kills you" after all.

Disclaimer: If Trump somehow pulls it out of the bag that pain would be 10 times worse for his opponents.

And his legal claims are being bitch slapped out of court in both Georgia and Michigan, with the Michigan judge in particular seeming pretty exasperated that they even filed given the "evidence"

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    No one can beat , but might equal Dixville Notch - 100% for Biden.

Always get a bit of press , they hold the election at midnight and count right away - Only 5 Voters!!

Christ could you imagine the witch hunt if 1 vote came back Trump

I've just spent the last 15 minutes doing the same...:o

It is kind of enjoyable!

I used to be such a fan of James Woods too, truly disappointed with some of the crap I've seen come out of him these last few years.

550,000 votes left in PA. Biden needs 58-61% and Trump needs 38-40%.

Biden polling at around 75%.

breezy1985 wrote: »

Definitely a shy Trump voter!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I belive they almost couldn't hold the ballot last time round because someone had left town and they needed 5 local volunteers as the various election official roles, basically themselves.

Luckily someone new moved in to the area soon enough before the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There's a Tarantino film in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Damien360

550,000 votes left in PA. Biden needs 58-61% and Trump needs 38-40%.

Biden polling at around 75%.

Discussed in detail on CNN. Not all the votes remaining are urban. Biden polls 75% in urban areas but Trump gets upwards of 60% rural. Can’t remember the breakdown of urban vs rural remaining.

It happened in 2016, there were 7 votes. 5 Clinton and 2 for trump.

They may have driven them out, they may have murdered them, can never say for sure :D

Up to 17,000 votes in heavily democratic Chatham County, GA yet to be tallied.

They're to be released "at end of business today" which you would assume will be by midnight Irish time.

Biden currently trailing by about 13,500 votes in GA.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Discussed in detail on CNN. Not all the votes remaining are urban. Biden polls 75% in urban areas but Trump gets upwards of 60% rural. Can’t remember the breakdown of urban vs rural remaining.

Absolutely correct but the urban vote, for obvious reasons, is far more important.

Very difficult to see Trump holding on there.

Edit: I should also add that they are only counting mail-in ballots. CNN just said that there was only 1 county where Trump won a county with mail in votes. Also said in Philly the mail in ballots are up to 95% for Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Maricopa County will announce its next numbers at ~2am.

This would likely seal Arizona one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Damien360 wrote: »

Biden is coming in better than Clinton was in 2016 in most rural areas and add to that the mail in vote (that they are now counting) is trending blue nearly everywhere when compared to the in person. There maybe some areas that come in something like 60% for Trump but I don't see many of them with a lot of raw vote totals

Not necessarily, as I believe they are waiting for votes to come in from another area that should have a fair amount of blue votes but yeah if trump doesn't pull ahead by a good bit I'd say that will probably do it for AZ and fox can breathe a sigh of relief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any results of note coming in tonight our time or will it have to be tomorrow morning?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Isn't that the county of the famous sheriff Joe Arpaio? He seemed aggressively pro Trump, but is there a sense of what the county's overall leanings might be?

Advertisement