Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

pixelburp wrote: »
    Isn't that the county of the famous sheriff Joe Arpaio? He seemed aggressively pro Trump, but is there a sense of what the county's overall leanings might be?

Democrat leaning. And it is significantly the largest county left to vote; larger than the rest of the outstanding counties combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes Georgia is going the right direction for Biden. Not sure will he run out votes to be counted before he passes Trump?
    I think Maricopa outstanding ballots will half the 13K lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Water John wrote: »
    Yes Georgia is going the right direction for Biden. Not sure will he run out votes to be counted before he passes Trump?
    I think Maricopa outstanding ballots will half the 13K lead.

Maricopa is in Arizona.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Twitter dumps deleted. Please do not just post tweets here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It seems that joe Biden and Kamala Harris are having a briefing on the coronavirus. That’s a stark difference to trump. Now Biden may be doing it to show the difference between himself and trump. But I think it’s that he doesn’t dismiss this stuff out of hand because it’s not good. IF he becomes president it’s clear he’ll be better on that score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Isn't that the county of the famous sheriff Joe Arpaio? He seemed aggressively pro Trump, but is there a sense of what the county's overall leanings might be?

That's Phoenix metro so pretty much 50/50 overall but if its early voting or mail Biden will have edge you would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

48.6% voted Trump there in 2016.
    47.2% voted Trump in 2020 of already tallied votes.

On a slightly related note 55.2% voted McCain in 2016.

Trump needs closer to 55% iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

CNN are saying that if Biden gets PA he has won.

Just by way of stark contrast, I've linked George Bush Snr's concession speech, the contrast being Trump rage tweeting, launching frivolous law suits and inciting violence...

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1324422303145512960?s=19

Diff in PA is now less than 109K

So just watching CNN and they seem to suggesting that Pennsylvania may be called today. I know there is one county not counting today but they seem to be suggesting that Biden’s eventual lead may be enough to call the state for joe Biden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭AllForIt

everlast75 wrote: »

Just by way of stark contrast, I've linked George Bush Snr's concession speech, the contrast being Trump rage tweeting, launching frivolous law suits and inciting violence...

Bill Clinton got 370 electoral votes. And there was no twitter back then :D

Ironically it would be Clinton and Newt Gingrich/rise of FOX News that we would see the beginning of the ultra partisanship on the Republican side that continues to this day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes, but George HW Bush respected his country and its institutions.

If Biden had won 413-125 (the most realistic method he could have won every swing stage including FL/TX/IA/OH/NC + the ones he's in contention for), Trump would call it a fraud.

Trump was complaining that the 2016 election was rigged before it had taken place because he was expected to lose. Then he was complaining after the election because he didn't win the popular vote.

Anyone who expected him to gracefully concede was being really naive when you see the way he has behaved to date since he was elected.

Well yeah Biden is 17 short of 270 so the 20 EC votes will put him over the top.

I haven’t seen that speech in a while but I’m thinking of the John McCain concession speech in 2008. It was superb and trump couldn’t even come close to either man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Levin is now moving the narrative on to the next step in Trump's plan to stay in power despite election results.

The Trump team plan is to now use confusion and chaos to undermine certification of results and to prevent States' results from being translated into a slate of electors. He has already claimed victory. He has claimed PA. He has sown the seeds of voter fraud. Remember, he asked supporters to double-vote, allegedly to 'test the system'. He can now 'prove' that voter fraud happened, thereby giving State GOP Secretary of State grounds for failing to certify the Dem/Biden result, in which case the GOP will send it OWN slate of electors to the Electoral College.

Read this Atlantic article, and listen to this Seth Abramson podcast, and then ask yourself if this is possible. I see Levin's tweet as 'following the plan' and Woods' tweet as providing the violent threats to facilitate that.

For me, PA and GA are two such 'dangerous' GOP controlled states who could easily flip a Biden win into a GOP slate. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm watching closely.

I really want to see Biden take both AZ and NV so that 270 will be reached without PA and/or GA proving me right or wrong.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

https://youtu.be/ANhCTNPMv60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Maricopa County will announce its next numbers at ~2am.

This would likely seal Arizona one way or the other.

2am our time?

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes, but George HW Bush respected his country and its institutions.

If Biden had won 413-125 (the most realistic method he could have won every swing stage including FL/TX/IA/OH/NC + the ones he's in contention for), Trump would call it a fraud.

Trump was complaining that the 2016 election was rigged before it had taken place because he was expected to lose. Then he was complaining after the election because he didn't win the popular vote.

Anyone who expected him to gracefully concede was being really naive when you see the way he has behaved to date since he was elected.

Well bush 41 served his country and institutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So just watching CNN and they seem to suggesting that Pennsylvania may be called today. I know there is one county not counting today but they seem to be suggesting that Biden’s eventual lead may be enough to call the state for joe Biden.

That county has started re-counting seemingly

Trumps a big problem but long after Trump is gone there remains O'Reilly, McConnell, Hannity, Ingraham, Limbaugh, Jones, Carlson, Breitbart and hundreds of far right youtube channels where millions of Americans and many Irish will consume their news going forward.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Maricopa county is essentially the city of Phoenix and it's metro area. It's an interesting mixed bag. I lived there for a while when sheriff Joe was around. He got elected because he went aggressively after men who didn't pay child support and drunk drivers. With some heavy handed checking of papers of Mexican looking people. But the turn out for him was nothing like you'd get for a general election. Big turn out is majorly in favour of the dems

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

Off-topic i know but must have seen that Quest Means Business ad on CNN International about 1000 times over the last few days. Most annoying ad ever!! :mad:

"What a profitable day!" :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Highlight of the night: Rick Santorum is wearing converse with a suit.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Highlight of the night: Rick Santorum is wearing converse with a suit.

He must be trolling Kamala.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Off-topic i know but must have seen that Quest Means Business ad on CNN International about 1000 times over the last few days. Most annoying ad ever!! :mad:

"What a profitable day!" :D

They have some amount of ads! Every time I turn it on Julia Chatterley (very easy on the eyes) is asking someone any chance of an ipo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thoughts and prayers for Melania lads.
    Can you imagine the s*** she has to listen to at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

They have some amount of ads! Every time I turn it on Julia Chatterley (very easy on the eyes) is asking someone any chance of an ipo!

I have nothing against the Julia Chatterley ad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭briany

How many votes in total have been cast in the US 2020 presidential election? It's safe to say that Joe Biden has broken the record of votes for any candidate, but isn't it also looking likely that Donald Trump could garner the most for a Republican candidate and the second most overall?

Additionally, is this the highest turnout ever in a presidential election? I know there have been some really high percentages in the 19th century, but since a lot more people were ineligible to vote then, 2020's vote probably represents more of an achievement.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The US version of CNN is almost as bad with the constant advertisements for prescription medication that we never see on this side of the Atlantic.

Although the adverts for IBS medication were apt on Tuesday night when Biden's odds went higher than Trump's.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Thoughts and prayers for Melania lads.
    Can you imagine the s*** she has to listen to at the moment
    I can't imagine it's any different to the **** she's had to listen to for the last 15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

briany wrote: »
    How many votes in total have been cast in the US 2020 presidential election? It's safe to say that Joe Biden has broken the record of votes for any candidate, but isn't it also looking likely that Donald Trump could garner the most for a Republican candidate and the second most overall?

Yes. Population increases and record turnout.

Advertisement