Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This, in Texas, pretty much sums up what happened nationwide in this election:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1324407942192472064
    I think the fact they came with in 600k votes of flipping Texas should really scare republicans. If they lose Texas that's the election over pretty much (38 votes) and the trend in the voting behavior has gone against them for quite a while now and don't look like it's likely to change any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Summary of CNN take on GA
    12,835 diff.

47,000 votes to be counted - all mail-in votes.

Chatham - 17,000 votes remaining. Biden at 58%
    Fulton - 7,000 votes remaining. Biden at 73%
    Cobb - 700 votes remaining. Biden at 56%
    Gwenette - 4,800 votes remaining. Biden at 59%
    Forsyth - No figure given by CNN. Biden at 32%
    Clayton - 6,000 votes remaining. Biden at 85%

Biden needs 63-65%
    Trump needs 34-36%

FWIW I did a few sums completely based off my own opinion on what Biden might get from mail-in; I reckon he'll win by about 5,000.
    Useless stat, just an opinion which is conservatively based off what Biden has been doing nationwide with mail-ins. I'd be quietly confident in winning GA if I was Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭jasonb

Ads for schizophrenia medication where a woman is talking to her friend about her mental health problems. The friend recommends some medication. The woman listens to the friend and buys the medication. The friend disappears. The friend was just a voice in her head.

Same ad, every break the other night on some us news channel. Bizzare

Haven't seen the Ad, thankfully, but if she goes and buys that medication without seeing her Doctor that also says a lot about the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Analysts seem pretty confident about Nevada.

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1324449985195376651

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well, this is nothing to worry about *clenches teeth*

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1324454065326026753?s=19

• Advertisement

PA Secretary of State has said there's approx. 500k ballots left and the vast majority could be counted by the end of the day their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Leaving aside the states still not decided, between New York, New Jersey and California there are still 10 million uncounted votes. They will come down heavily in favour of Biden. The popular vote is currently at 2.6 million in favour of Biden, that is going to increase dramatically.

everlast75 wrote: »

I assume the whole Cabinet resign when the ruling party are voted out of power? In fact, if the West Wing has thought me anything, they even resign if the incumbent President wins, to save him the embarrassment of having to fire any that he doesn't want in his new cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

https://twitter.com/gtryan/status/1324452644170158086

Oh an expected trump county in Georgia went the other way in mail ballots. Could be a sign that a flip is on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

paul71 wrote: »
    Leaving aside the states still not decided, between New York, New Jersey and California there are still 10 million uncounted votes. They will come down heavily in favour of Biden. The popular vote is currently at 2.6 million in favour of Biden, that is going to increase dramatically.

No question his final margin of victory in the actual national vote will end up being pretty solid I would say north of 5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Philadelphia County have 85k to 90k uncounted mail in votes left

85,000-90,000 in Philly. Biden at 80% there.
    Trump's lead will be blown up from Philly alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

eire4 wrote: »
    No question his final margin of victory in the actual national vote will end up being pretty solid I would say north of 5%.

Thats why I mentioned it, the polls were saying 7% or 8%, I think it will be 6%. The issue nationally is not the polls, it is the broken electoral college system. The method used in Maine and Nebraska are the quick fix way of correcting that broken system.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Christ, this Arizona Press conference from the Republicans is pretty crazy.

'Fox News Sucks' How quickly they turn! I forgot what Arizona accent sounded like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

everlast75 wrote: »

And he’s also working with Congress to strip military bases that have confederate generals names of those names. I’d say the atmosphere in the White House the last few days has been something shocking. I know joe Biden has not won yet and it’s still possible however slim for Donald trump to win re-election but the trends aren’t moving enough in trumps favour where he needs to go.

jasonb wrote: »
    I assume the whole Cabinet resign when the ruling party are voted out of power? In fact, if the West Wing has thought me anything, they even resign if the incumbent President wins, to save him the embarrassment of having to fire any that he doesn't want in his new cabinet.

Well if trump loses then they’d have to resign but not till January 20th at midday and even then there’s someone in charge of all the departments until a new cabinet secretary is appointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

paul71 wrote: »
    Thats why I mentioned it, the polls were saying 7% or 8%, I think it will be 6%. The issue nationally is not the polls, it is the broken electoral college system. The method used in Maine and Nebraska are the quick fix way of correcting that broken system.

Yes I think your likely to be very close with 6% I can see that easily being the final margin when all the votes cast are counted. Totally agree with you on the electoral college system. That is a total joke. Anti-democratic and needs to be done away with. But given the Republicans are now at best a quasi democratic party they will fight tooth and nail to keep it as it is one of the tools they are currently using to stop democracy in the US so they can cling to power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Forsyth have about 123,000 votes counted and 95% done.
    That leaves about 6,000 votes left there.

Interesting interesting. Who is leading there?

Edit: nevermind, it’s upthread.

Trump's lead in PA goes under 100k, now 98k.

On a side note, those corona virus numbers are desperate and you'd imagine in about 2 weeks there will be a bit of a spike from these elections.

• Advertisement

On a side note, those corona virus numbers are desperate and you'd imagine in about 2 weeks there will be a bit of a spike from these elections.

They are awful. Well any polling pictures I saw of people standing outside and within the voting places everyone was wearing masks. So hopefully there won’t be spikes because of the in person voting. You’d hope anyway.

Here’s joe Biden.

Envy of the world ? Well about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

jasonb wrote: »
    Trump's lead in PA goes under 100k, now 98k.

Apparently 340,000 mail ballots remaining, and as Biden has been getting around 72% of those, he'll easily take the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Oh an expected trump county in Georgia went the other way in mail ballots. Could be a sign that a flip is on the way

Did somebody convince Republicans that they shouldn't vote by mail or something?

That might not have been such a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Did somebody convince Republicans that they shouldn't vote by mail or something?

Trump did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Good short and calm speech by Biden. Presidential.

He knows what he's doing and starting with Covid is clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Trump of course but the result would have been the same but delivered in a different order.

1 vote is 1 vote.

Don't forget that Trump also battled to stop postal votes being counted early and that's why we have delays now and now Trump claims they're fraudulent.

It was all planned by Trump months ago though when he started saying that postal voting would be fradulent and "they're" trying to steal the election.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Trump of course but the result would have been the same but delivered in a different order.

1 vote is 1 vote.

Don't forget that Trump also battled to stop postal votes being counted early and that's why we have delays now and now Trump claims they're fraudulent.

It was all planned by Trump months ago though when he started saying that postal voting would be fradulent and "they're" trying to steal the election.

You're giving Trump too much credit there - he is no where near clever enough to have come up with that plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well DeJoy was doing his work dismantling the postal system. It was a plan but a piss poor one.

Advertisement