Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Great map of how votes have swung since 2016. In the future it'll be interesting to see how sticky these voters are, will these new voters stick with their parties.

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1324469384035864577?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Christy42

jasonb wrote: »
    Georgia down to 9.5k and Pennsylvania down to 90k

Do we know how many votes are left to count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

murpho999 wrote: »
    He does have a strategy but it doesn't mean it's good or will work.

He has Rudy Guiliani heading up his legal team.

Oh well then he’s sorted. I realise that Guiliani was a very respected and well thought off prosecutor and then mayor of New York, but from what I’ve seen in the last four years, I wouldn’t let him look after my cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭jasonb

I don't have the energy to stay awake late tonight, and I can't help but think that Biden will pass 270.during the night!

jasonb wrote: »
    I don't have the energy to stay awake late tonight, and I can't help but think that Biden will pass 270.during the night!

Set it to record. I don’t think he’ll get to 270 tonight but he might get close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Trump to speak at 11..

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

But he will still have a massive, loyal following. Nearly 100% of the Rep candidates he endorsed won iirc. I think I remember reading that that was some sort of record? I never read too much into it so open to correction. EDIT: I should clarify in Rep candidates in Rep races.

I'd contend that Trump got a lot of votes from business owners voting in their own self-interest. I don't remember the numbers off-hand but iirc they weren't great (despite his own proclamations to the contrary) before covid. Covid just laid everything bare.

This is the most favourable article to Trump I know of.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/almost-everyone-trump-endorses-wins-their-primary-but-is-he-padding-his-record/

The data behind the win ratio makes it significantly less impressive. If you google.around you'll find a bunch of else favourable articles which break down results.im different categories which shows his rate can be under 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭dinorebel

He does have a strategy but it doesn't mean it's good or will work.

He has Rudy Guiliani heading up his legal team.
    :eek:
    Is the strategy drunken incompetence?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Of course they have no evidence as there simply is none. No good legal team can do anything about that.

But remember Trump not a normal person. He's narcissistic and megalomaniac. Sure he even said he wouldn't leave the White House if he lost.

Apparently it's Trump himself who's pushing his people to pursue legal avenues.
    He'll fight anyway he can but he's running out of options.

But if they were smart they'd have had a narrative and a public figure that might be able to persuade people. Instead they have rambling Rudy and no name lawyers as spokesmen while Trump tweets in all caps, which are quickly hidden for breaking the twitter rules.

It is like his whole presidency from day 1, there is absolutely no planning.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Trump to speak at 11..

Is it going to be as enlightening as his ramblings Wednesday morning ? He’s only doing it because joe Biden spoke and easily sounded presidential. He’s pissed that Biden is making him look bad.

• Advertisement

I'd contend that Trump got a lot of votes from business owners voting in their own self-interest. I don't remember the numbers off-hand but iirc they weren't great (despite his own proclamations to the contrary) before covid. Covid just laid everything bare.

It's super-important to remember that the truth barely matters any more, particular in the case of Trump supporters.
    The way that the economy was before Covid was fine. Unemployment down and all that. Even without Covid however it was a time-bomb with a ludicrous deficit and little room left for growth. It was a question of timing. Kinda similar with 9/11, things were about to get bad but there was a catastrophe that could mask the underlying numbers so once recovery started "Ah sure it wasn't the government's fault".
    The next 2 years will be incredibly rough with little room for increasing spending. Congress will be split and where will there no way to increase taxes. The map should be excellent for the Dems in 2022 but if we're in the middle of a depression then it won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,292 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's super-important to remember that the truth barely matters any more, particular in the case of Trump supporters.
    The way that the economy was before Covid was fine. Unemployment down and all that. Even without Covid however it was a time-bomb with a ludicrous deficit and little room left for growth. It was a question of timing. Kinda similar with 9/11, things were about to get bad but there was a catastrophe that could mask the underlying numbers so once recovery started "Ah sure it wasn't the government's fault".
    The next 2 years will be incredibly rough with little room for increasing spending. Congress will be split and where will there no way to increase taxes. The map should be excellent for the Dems in 2022 but if we're in the middle of a depression then it won't be.

They said that about this election. Well if Biden assuming he wins gets covid under something resembling control then the country may open up more and it may not be as bad economics wise, and while not as good as it could be, I think Biden will get the credit for steadying the ship.

Oh yeah the deficit which funny enough the alleged fiscally conservative GOP seemed happy to just go along with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Foxtrol wrote: »
    But if they were smart they'd have had a narrative and a public figure that might be able to persuade people. Instead they have rambling Rudy and no name lawyers as spokesmen while Trump tweets in all caps, which are quickly hidden for breaking the twitter rules.

It is like his whole presidency from day 1, there is absolutely no planning.

The narrative is that "they" are stealing the election.

I genuinely think that the whole show is being dictated by and run by Trump himself.

He has an incredible belief in his own ability and appoints people around him who are sycophants and mostly afraid of him. Therefore only giving him advice that he wants to hear.

You only have to look at the amount of firings and resignations from his administration to see how he manages.

So they want to stop looking like a banana republic four years too late. War is a very loaded word and he’s the unelected offspring of the president digitally flapping his gum. It’s true that money doesn’t buy you dignity and class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭jasonb

Trump to speak at 11..

Well that encourages me to go to bed then! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He'll first have to deal with the indictments coming from Tish James, E J Carroll's rape defamation case, possible obstruction of justice charges, campaign finance charges and pay $400,000,000 dollars personally guaranteed within the next 3 years.

Take a seat Donny, and hope that you get a pardon from daddy dearest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

Trump to speak at 11..

Where has that been reported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Good points.
    And regarding the bit in bold it's been speculated that Trump will spend the remaining few months in office doing his best to leave the country (even moreso) in tatters, which the help of Mitch. And then of course, without the Senate, Biden will be a bit of a lame duck with regards to economic recovery.

I do agree that the Rep candidate in 2024 will have a very good chance of winning, but I'm not convinced that Trump would have won had covid not come along. It's a handy excuse for his supporters though, because obviously no one can say for certain what would have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The narrative is clear I think and so is the strategy, I don't think it will work but I think it will cause absolute chaos and I'd not be surprised to see it cause a fair bit of violence and even death. Hopefully I am wrong on that but its very dangerous to stir people up like that and he clearly inflames their passions for whatever reason I don't want to insult them tonight.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Off to bed .. I am gone cross eyed looking at figures and listening to yanks all day. If I don’t go now something else will pop up to keep me chart watching way into the night ..again ..,

Anyway what’s the chances of joe having the 270 before I wake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

harr wrote: »
    Off to bed .. I am gone cross eyed looking at figures and listening to yanks all day. If I don’t go now something else will pop up to keep me chart watching way into the night ..again ..,

Anyway what’s the chances of joe having the 270 before I wake?

Off to bed?

It's only night 3. No stamina.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Trump to speak at 11..

I WANT TO GET OFF MR. BONE'S WILD RIDE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Good points.
    And regarding the bit in bold it's been speculated that Trump will spend the remaining few months in office doing his best to leave the country (even moreso) in tatters, which the help of Mitch. And then of course, without the Senate, Biden will be a bit of a lame duck with regards to economic recovery.

I do agree that the Rep candidate in 2024 will have a very good chance of winning, but I'm not convinced that Trump would have won had covid not come along. It's a handy excuse for his supporters though, because obviously no one can say for certain what would have happened.

I dunno, I mean with everything else that he has done in the 4 years and with this pandemic and his truly awful handling of it the man still absolutely smashed expectations and increased his vote significantly. I think he would have walked it without Covid, I really do and I wouldn't have thought so beforehand.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

"total war" - that's an invitation for people to take up arms.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They said that about this election. Well if Biden assuming he wins gets covid under something resembling control then the country may open up more and it may not be as bad economics wise, and while not as good as it could be, I think Biden will get the credit for steadying the ship.
    The trouble is that he has to right the ship with no money. And the ship is still taking on a tonne of water. There are short/mid-term effects that haven't hit yet. Airlines will be restructuring massively. There's a lot of people who have just clung on til now, another 6+ weeks is a long time for them. Over here we have tools to cushion blows, pay for re-training, raise taxes, increase spending. Over there they won't be able to pass anything.
    Oh yeah the deficit which funny enough the alleged fiscally conservative GOP seemed happy to just go along with.
    The truth doesn't matter anymore to a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

embraer170 wrote: »

I think Don Jr has announced he's holding a press conference in GA at that time. His rhetoric will be of great interest to the GOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The PA Sec of State has just said whilst all votes won't be counted the figures by the end of today with show who the winner is.
    So we'll know. I think the way she spoke was code that Biden would be clear but I might simply be projecting, nighty night Harr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Great and extremely clear statement by the PA Secretary of State, completely trashing any allegations of voter fraud.

Trump will be livid with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

embraer170 wrote: »

Saw it on twitter

https://twitter.com/_stephaniemyers/status/1324467748441710592?s=21

Advertisement