Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Assuming Georgia and PN will finally be fully counted soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Trumps notes for his 'press conference' last night, with big font and some words in caps for emphasis

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/d5fdebac15cc5b29c40ec1c9579543608290139f/1481_1357_1045_627/master/1045.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&

• Subscribers Posts: 41,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, a close ally of Donald Trump, has pledged to donate $500,000 (£380,000) to help fund the Trump campaign's lawsuits.

"The allegations of wrongdoing are Earth-shattering," Graham, who was re-elected in South Carolina, told Sean Hannity in an interview with Fox News, without providing any details.

The same lindsey Grahame who was pleading for campaign money three weeks ago.

Easy to spend money that's not yours lindsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

MattS1 wrote: »
    Assuming Georgia and PN will finally be fully counted soon?

I asked about overseas military votes and when they arrive/are counted earlier I did not get a clear answer, apparently there are 8,000 in Georgia which will make difference, they wont make a difference in PN.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Great photo taken by AP during Trump's meltdown last night:

EmGR4d6WMAAX6Ah?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

How are we looking this morning?
    Still no Georigia result?

I dont think they will, the military has swung to only 30% positive opinion of Trump due to him ignoring his handlers Putin's bounties and calling them losers for serving their country.

If anything there will be a further nail in the Trump coffin

I already made that point and I agree, but what I was asking was when those votes will be counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

bennyl10 wrote: »
    How are we looking this morning?
    Still no Georigia result?

Trump just over 400 votes ahead, result sometime in 2023..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

paul71 wrote: »
    I already made that point and I agree, but what I was asking was when those votes will be counted.

I'd guess it's a week away until it's finalised.
    I'm thinking of personnel at the bases in Northern Greenland, Antarctica, Afghanistan etc who left it until Tuesday to vote. The logistics would suggest it might take a while to get their vote to the voting centre in the correct state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Brian? wrote: »
    Fox news or Fox opinion? There is actually a big difference. Is it Hannity/Carlson etc. Or the main news team like Wallace/Baeir?
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    As an editorial representing the whole station or a talking head or what ? Your point is a bit vague.

Had to look it up as I'm not familiar with Fox's presenters as I never normally watch the station.

It was Lauran Ingraham who was hosting the show and she was really getting behind the Trump conspiracy theory and was attacking Biden.

Reading her bio and history now. She's a complete Trump supporter so no surprise in what she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

https://6abc.com/7689932/

A report that Philadelphia police stopped some guys in a Hummer who planned to attack the Philadelphia count centre. Early days yet, but might be a bad omen unless the counts finish quickly

Multiple reports that Biden has taken the lead in Georgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd guess it's a week away until it's finalised.
    I'm thinking of personnel at the bases in Northern Greenland, Antarctica, Afghanistan etc who left it until Tuesday to vote. The logistics would suggest it might take a while to get their vote to the voting centre in the correct state.
    For some reason the 12th is in my head for the date that there'll be a final official declaration. There aren't really enough military personnel to make a difference any road, and their votes divided out across all the states.

There's no point in expecting any concession speech from Trump, so the election is "over" when everyone is certain that Trump can't win. At best we'll have a toy-throwing, "You can't fire me, I quit" tantrum from Trump, but he'll never admit defeat.

Who'd have thought Georgia would be so seriously in play. PA as well there's 18,000 between them and 200,000 votes left to count.

306 electoral votes would close off all possible avenues for legal challenge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Multiple reports that Biden has taken the lead in Georgia

in tears here...it's over

https://6abc.com/7689932/

A report that Philadelphia police stopped some guys in a Hummer who planned to attack the Philadelphia count centre. Early days yet, but might be a bad omen unless the counts finish quickly
    I expect there are a number of security top brass who are waiting for a final nod that Biden has won it before they go down hard on Trump supporters. The secret service have sent out extra security personnel to Biden.
    But commanders will be afraid to take action against Trump supporters until they know for certain that Trump's time is up.

It's going to be a rocky few weeks in the US, the hate and violence that Trump has been fanning for the last four years has been waiting for a moment like this.

I said it weeks ago that the US was on the verge of a civil war, and I think that risk has never been higher than it is right now.

donfers wrote: »
    in tears here...it's over

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1324643210283593728

And still counting. Once Biden's lead is > 1,000 votes, there's no chance any recount can change the outcome.

I'm still too wary to call it over....but I'll stick the champagne on ice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So Georgia would get Biden to 269, assuming this stay the same?

Kiith wrote: »

And it means trump can no longer win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Would be delightful if it's the votes from John Lewis's former district that put Biden over the top

Kiith wrote: »
    Yep. Which basically means that the best Trump could hope for is to win everything else and tie on 269.

In that scenario, I think the House or the Senate appoint the President.

But really, if Georgia went to Biden, then PA will too. Of what's left, North Carolina is the only one likely to go to Trump now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, Georgia has flipped blue on the AP map! :) And I didn't even miss it during the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Alaska senate candidate saying not to rule him out just yet...interesting:

https://twitter.com/DrAlGrossAK/status/1324520257885773824

He is some lad! He is the most Alaskanist an Alaskan could be.

How would an independent senator work out if the Dems flip the two potential GA seats? I mean in term of the overall balance of power.

As an aside altogether, as a 52 year old, one thing this election cycle has done for me is to hugely increase my understanding of, and bewilderment by, the U.S.
    The massive divide between the two sides- including the Dems yet again failing to listen to the people rust belt etc. to win back bluecollar trust, as well as the American Carnage of Trumpism on the other side is the bewilderment.
    The understanding is more of the place, the geography and how the thing like the three arms of government are meant to work.

My latest funfact to learn is that Michigan has the longest freshwater coastline of any state/country in the world.

So now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Did the school run, came to work, had a quick meeting at 9 until now.

Logged on to cnn and see that Biden has taken the lead in Georgia and the sun is shining. :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

jasonb wrote: »
    Yep, Georgia has flipped blue on the AP map! :) And I didn't even miss it during the night!

Missed it by about 15 mins:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

hirondelle wrote: »

As an aside altogether, as a 52 year old, one thing this election cycle has done for me is to hugely increase my understanding of, and bewilderment by, the U.S.

There are two existing Independent Senators, both sit with the Democrats and are basically always considered to be Democrat when it comes to the raw headcounts.

This lad could sit with the Republicans, the Democrats or not at all if he gets in - up to him. I presume he's not that Republican if he's running against them though.

hirondelle wrote: »
    He is some lad! He is the most Alaskanist an Alaskan could be.

How would an independent senator work out if the Dems flip the two potential GA seats? I mean in term of the overall balance of power.

The massive divide between the two sides- including the Dems yet again failing to listen to the people rust belt etc. to win back bluecollar trust, as well as the American Carnage of Trumpism on the other side is the bewilderment.
    The understanding is more of the place, the geography and how the thing like the three arms of government are meant to work.

My latest funfact to learn is that Michigan has the longest freshwater coastline of any state/country in the world.

So now.

You should visit the great lakes sometime, they are extraordinary. Its amazing to see cargo ships as big as anything in Dublin port disappearing over the horizon on the way to Canada and then think that they are on fresh water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

jasonb wrote: »

LOL, the first think I do the last couple of mornings when I wake is roll over and flick on the news to see what I missed. The last 2 mornings nothing changed from when I went to sleep as some dumb hour. Was really surprised this morning though that nothing changed.

All eyes on the US senate now. If the democrats manage to get an equal number of seats (they need to flip just one I think), then the democrats will effectively take control as the VP gets a casting vote.

East coast fully turning Blue.

Maryland went from swing state to Solid Blue in 1992, Virginia in 2008, NC became a Swing state from solid red in 2008. Even if it stays red this time, it is now firmly a Swing state. Georgia, a firm red state, is now a swing state, likely going blue this time. Even South Carolina is trending towards the middle, even though still firmly red. Only Florida is bucking the trend, by moving from swing to leans red. This election, 12 of the 13 original colonies will have voted blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

seamus wrote: »
    All eyes on the US senate now. If the democrats manage to get an equal number of seats (they need to flip just one I think), then the democrats will effectively take control as the VP gets a casting vote.

I'd say the Republican party are panicking big time that Trump's latest antics are going to sour sentiment in Georgia even further, and the two possible key run offs for Senate could end up going against them. They need to jump ship quickly.

Advertisement