Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

intersting in respect to trumps twitter rants , steve bannon has had his twitter account suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Faugheen wrote: »
    The fact that Wolf, John King, Dana Bash, Jake Tapper etc are being rolled out again already suggests they’ll call it for Biden in the next few hours.

I don't think so. Seems like a normal shift change, especially given what time it is over there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please do not question mod warnings on thread.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

peteeeed wrote: »
    intersting in respect to trumps twitter rants , steve bannon has had his twitter account suspended

Yeah turns out calling for beheadings is frowned upon by Twitter. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Well Bannon did name 2 people and call for them to be beheaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I can only assume the people who are genuinely shocked by what he said are the kind of people who don't pay much attention to politics outside of landmark events such as the presidential debates and this week.

That rambling, repetitive speech full of blatant falsehoods, inflammatory claims and personal grievances is typical when he talks just to the Press.

It was always going to go down like this if he lost.

I wasn't surprised, but I was very disappointed that he felt emboldened to go on tv to the whole world and say what he said.
    That this was ok, the GOP didnt distance themselves from the ráiméis and terrible accusations he made about honest people going about their jobs, and that he was allowed walk away from that podium without having to justify or defend a single word of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I have to say I am taking quite a bit of joy in the moaning about "fraud" (or as the rest of us call it, mail in voting) from the very same people who ignored and mocked those pointing out the dangers of the GOP removing so much funding from ele toral protections over the last four years. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I have to say I am taking quite a bit of joy in the moaning about "fraud" (or as the rest of us call it, mail in voting) rom the very same people who ignored and mocked those pointing out the dangers of the GOP removing so much funding from ele toral protections over the last four years. :D

Particular credit needs to go to this lady too

https://twitter.com/TheWomensOrg/status/1324653254450569218?s=20

Inspirational stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only 18k behind in Pennsylvania after the latest numbers dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

For advocating the decapitation of 2 federal employees. Not comparative to Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Was watching Ingraham on Fox last night trying to justify Trumps fraud claims, she had to 2 "witnesses" to the "fraud" in AZ, a man an election observer who said the count was run ok but he had to stay 6 feets away and a woman who said she and her Republican friends were given markers (sharpies) to vote while Democrats were given pencils...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Wouldn't putting Trump in prison enrage his base and possibly lead to violence?

Not that the law should not be pursued for this reason, but it makes me worry...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    Trump has spent is whole adult life mired in lawsuits and no one has made a single criminal charge stick yet. I somehow doubt he'll see the inside of any jail cells.
    With his money, no he wont, but he should be jailed several times over for the way he behaves.

Here's the thing though.

He didn't actually win almost any of those literally thousands of court cases. He either delayed and frustrated poorer opponents until they gave up/ran out of money or he settled out of court quietly.

Now though , all his bluster has been utterly exposed - People *know* he's a liar , People *know* he doesn't have anything like the money he claims to have and so on.

His entire ediface of bluster and Bravado has been destroyed.

The next time he walks into a court room he's going to get wiped out.

The next time he tries to shine on a creditor and float his debt further down the river on the promise of some big future success , they will laugh in his face and foreclose.

If nothing else , his time as President has removed almost every single one of his methods of staying in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think so. Seems like a normal shift change, especially given what time it is over there.

Tapper and Blitzer aren't usually on until their afternoon/our evening, even throughout this week from what I can remember. But then again this isn't a usual day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaykay74

signostic wrote: »
    a woman who said she and her Republican friends were given markers (sharpies) to vote while Democrats were given pencils...

Thats weird. How would anyone know who you are going to vote for ?

everlast75 wrote: »

Inspirational stuff
    Absolutely. I saw her name mentioned quite a bit in the last year but only read an article on her role this morning, absolutely great job on her and that may tip future elections across state level also if they keep that momentum going. Georgia may well become another Virginia sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,763 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

jaykay74 wrote: »

They probably all looked like Karens.

More likely these women were activists with Trump badges on. But its even more likely to just be a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

jaykay74 wrote: »

Exactly, they wouldn't. Its just more nonsense

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Here's the thing though.

He didn't actually win almost any of those literally thousands of court cases. He either delayed and frustrated poorer opponents until they gave up/ran out of money or he settled out of court quietly.

Now though , all his bluster has been utterly exposed - People *know* he's a liar , People *know* he doesn't have anything like the money he claims to have and so on.

His entire ediface of bluster and Bravado has been destroyed.

The next time he walks into a court room he's going to get wiped out.

The next time he tries to shine on a creditor and float his debt further down the river on the promise of some big future success , they will laugh in his face and foreclose.

If nothing else , his time as President has removed almost every single one of his methods of staying in the game.

Added to that, his upcoming legal battles won't be with Dan Wisniewski and Sons Construction Ltd. like so many have previously been, but with entities that have much deeper pockets and can't be war-of-attritioned to death with legal fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You'd think she could construct a more logical fake argument that doesn't sound totally stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You register your party for primary purposes; so it is available

The claimed 'fraud' is nonsense though; plus in an election where it was thought there was a substantial number of Republicans that wouldn't vote for Trump it would have failed to work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jo jo the eskimo

Is Bannon not on parole?
    Can he not be arrested ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

CNN stating that DJT has a "stranglehold on the Republican Party." Senior Republican figures were apparently on Fox echoing the sentiments of the president, Republicans you would expect would be front runners for the 2024 nomination.
    There's very little to suggest so far that the Rep party will be dropping the Trump family when all is said and done in this election. The opposite seems more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

seamus wrote: »
    As it stands, if it's a 268/270 split where Trum has PA & GA, there are no practical states where a faithless elector would/can support him. The only other blue states it's legal are deep blue states like NY or IL.
    A state being deep blue isn't necessarily enough to prevent it. In fact, if there was going to be an issue, it would most likely occur in a far-far-left state than any other. If Biden has 270, it only needs one faithless elector to vote for anyone else - they don't have to flip to Trump. If the electoral college split is 269-268-1, that's not enough to be elected, it must be an absolute majority of 270. If a Hawaiian elector cast their vote for, say, Bernie Sanders[1], that's enough, and Hawaii are one of many states with no penalty for the faithless elector.

Now this is all fairly academic, I think it's far more likely that Biden gets 302 votes than 270, and even if it does come down to that, it's a lot harder for an elector to stick to a principled stance when they know they'll be publically vilified for having an actual impact instead of casting a protest vote.

[1]Why pick Hawaii and Bernie Sanders? Because that's exactly what happened in 2016.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Inspirational stuff

My God, that is an incredible amount of work, it is literally Daniel O'Connell proportions. I may need to rethink what I said earlier about Georgia not replicating presidential votes into the Senate run offs if someone like that is driving voter registrations in Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

CNN stating that DJT has a "stranglehold on the Republican Party." Senior Republican figures were apparently on Fox echoing the sentiments of the president, Republicans you would expect would be front runners for the 2024 nomination.
    There's very little to suggest so far that the Rep party will be dropping the Trump family when all is said and done in this election. The opposite seems more likely.

I am trying not to be dramatic, but Trump is like a cancer for the party. Yes, he's pulled in competitive figures, but I suspect there will a long-term detrimental impact due to his prominence in the GOP, their continues support of him, and the culture he's created (racism, anti-democratic, autocratic desires).

These results feel like they'll be a match to the powder-keg that the US is right now. Heavily armed protesters are about to get VERY pissed-off in the next couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I had hoped for a landslide victory and was initially disappointed with how close it was, but I'm really enjoying this now, the Trumps will had had to go through the ecstasy of Florida with the confidence that others would follow and this was backed up when most States where only counting of the election day votes. Once the mail votes have started to be counted and it has slowly become apparent to them that its a lost cause we get to see the hysterical tweets, the lashing out and the pure desperation. Apart from the car crash media briefing, and Anderson Coopers line about a turtle on his back in the sun, the videos of Trump supporters chanting count the votes in AZ whilst at the same time chanting stop the count in PA will always live in my memory. This certainly is a year like no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I am trying not to be dramatic, but Trump is like a cancer for the party. Yes, he's pulled in competitive figures, but I suspect there will a long-term detrimental impact due to his prominence in the GOP, their continues support of him, and the culture he's created (racism, anti-democratic, autocratic desires).

These results feel like they'll be a match to the powder-keg that the US is right now. Heavily armed protesters are about to get VERY pissed-off in the next couple of hours.

It has yet to be seen, but I have a vague feeling that Trumpism only really works for Trump.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

5 hours of sleep and I’m back baby! That’s the longest sleep I’ve had since Monday. Feel great.

No President elect yet, but everything looks good for Biden still.

I suggest we shut this thread down and move to the Biden presidency thread ;)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Inspirational stuff

It was perhaps a blessing in disguise that she didn't win (or, had stolen from her), the governorship of Georgia. She should keep doing what she's been doing.

They should make a cabinet position for election engagement and put her in it.

Advertisement