Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Husband of former Arizona Rep Gabby Giffords who was shot in 2011 too. And of course an astronaut (3rd astronaut in the Senate!)

An outspoken gun control advocate elected in Az, to go with a gun control advocate in the Whitehouse. Is the tide turning?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

everlast75 wrote: »
    Particular credit needs to go to this lady too

https://twitter.com/TheWomensOrg/status/1324653254450569218?s=20

Inspirational stuff

I know I'm hours late on this but I'm just catching back up with the thread now and YES! dead right, she is the reason I was confident about Georgia being a real shot for Biden pre election - she is an amazing public servant, massive credit should go her way regardless of how that result finishes Georgia is now a real battleground state.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MJohnston wrote: »
    Husband of former Arizona Rep Gabby Giffords who was shot in 2011 too. And of course an astronaut (3rd astronaut in the Senate!)

John Glenn and bill Nelson from I think Florida.

Edit: John Glenn is the first American to orbit the planet and he also flew on the space shuttle as did Senator bill Nelson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Brian? wrote: »
    An outspoken gun control advocate elected in Az, to go with a gun control advocate in the Whitehouse. Is the tide turning?

Hopefully, it reminds me that somebody about a week ago posted an "article" by James O'Keefe on this thread. I had forgotten at the time that O'Keefe supported the guy who wrote the book claiming the Sandy hook school shootings were a hoax.

Those are the types of poisonous standards that Trump gave an open field to.

paul71 wrote: »
    Hopefully, it reminds me that somebody about a week ago posted an "article" by James O'Keefe on this thread. I had forgotten at the time that O'Keefe supported the guy who wrote the book claiming the Sandy hook school shootings were a hoax.

Those are the types of poisonous standards that Trump gave an open field to.

The shower who believed that Sandy hook was a hoax and went after the grieving families are low on the human totem pole IMO. There’s a want in them to put it another way. It’s also after that awful event that I’m convinced America will never sort out their issues with guns. I’m not saying remove the second amendment but something has to change and after Sandy hook I was convinced nothing would.

Anyway don’t want to go too off topic but great to hear that Mark Kelly has unseated the incumbent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

CNN reporter in Pittsburgh doing a great job, pointing out the election officials, what work they're doing, pointing out the observers in place from both parties, and that they've found nothing objectionable.

Basically, demolishing all the bullsh1t claims that Trumps and his team have been making

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The shower who believed that Sandy hook was a hoax and went after the grieving families are low on the human totem pole IMO. There’s a want in them to put it another way. It’s also after that awful event that I’m convinced America will never sort out their issues with guns. I’m not saying remove the second amendment but something has to change and after Sandy hook I was convinced nothing would.

Anyway don’t want to go too off topic but great to hear that Mark Kelly has unseated the incumbent.

On that point and also in danger of going off topic, I believe with the packing of the Supreme court under Trump the ONLY remaining path to meaningful gun control is a constitutional amendment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Fox staff being told not to call Biden President-Elect, even when he reaches 270+

Some neck.

https://twitter.com/MrErnestOwens/status/1324728574906126336

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Canice Picklington

Trump claiming he won and refusing to concede and launching court cases and basically acting like Lukashenko is a play to try and get a deal from the Democrats that he and his cabal won't be pursued on criminal charges. Sadly, I expect it to pretty much work.

He needs to be pursued with the full force of the law and there needs to be a major reckoning for his cabal. Otherwise, what is now Trumpism will mutate into something else and return with a vengeance in future.

Failure to pursue Trump and his cabal will give carte blanche to the alliance of corrupt American and international kleptocrats.

No saccharine words about "needing to come together" will change the enemy that democracy everywhere is up against. Doing that is merely giving a pass a malignant cancer.

The only thing that will set America free is the truth. But the rot in the American and international right-wing is so deep, and their influence and their rabid, atavistic nature is so great, that it will never happen.

Saganist wrote: »
    Fox staff being told not to call Biden President-Elect, even when he reaches 270+

Some neck.

https://twitter.com/MrErnestOwens/status/1324728574906126336

Ah here. They gave Biden Arizona when few have and stuck by it but won’t do what has happened for years when a new person wins a presidential election. Is it to not incur the wrath of the current occupant of the White House ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

One of Trump's strongest advocates has given up:

https://twitter.com/stevethomma/status/1324761733303541760

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1324763757105602561

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1324511245635117056

Strongest words yet from a prominent Republican. Hopefully the rats flee the sinking ship in coming days, but many too cowardly to go against Trump.

One of Trump's strongest advocates has given up:

https://twitter.com/stevethomma/status/1324761733303541760

Apparently he's back-tracking:

https://twitter.com/mattklewis/status/1324765559028912128

I'd say he received an angry, threatening phone call or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1324763757105602561

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1324511245635117056

Strongest words yet from a prominent Republican. Hopefully more rats flee the sinking ship in coming days, but many too cowardly to go against Trump.
    To be fair to Mitt Romney, he's ploughed a lonely furrow for quite a while now. As a Republican I mean.

Apparently he's back-tracking:

https://twitter.com/mattklewis/status/1324765559028912128

I'd say he received an angry, threatening phone call or two.

He has terminal cancer, not sure you can threaten someone with that condition in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

apropos of nothing - Brett Bauer's got a massive head

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think this was the first time I heard CNN just dismissing the thought of the GOP. There is no gop, there is just the Trump party.

So far Romney who was already half out is the only one to stand up to the craziness.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    To be fair to Mitt Romney, he's ploughed a lonely furrow for quite a while now. As a Republican I mean.

I agree, and tbh he's one of the better Republicans. He even voted to impeach Trump earlier in the year. He is a man who would be very much respected by all sides as president. I should have been more careful with my words in the first post, that was my fault.

Yeah, but when it really comes to the crunch he folds like a hooker punched in the stomach by a fat man.

they/them/theirs

He looks like he's having an allergic reaction to something.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Yeah, but when it really comes to the crunch he folds like a hooker punched in the stomach by a fat man.
    I just get the impression that there are some things he won't stoop to. He certainly licked up to Trump in the early days of his presidency in the hopes of getting a nice job, but over time, he seems to have taken his own path

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not as big as Matt Gaetz. It looks like a cinder block

Looks like Arizona isn't far from the gap exceeding the recount trigger point. Nevada is outside it now.

I just get the impression that there are some things he won't stoop to. He certainly licked up to Trump in the early days of his presidency in the hopes of getting a nice job, but over time, he seems to have taken his own path

He was definitely making a play for Secretary of State in December 2016. When he didn't get it he turned on Trump.

He joined all the other hypocrites in filling the SCOTUS seat.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The issue Romney has with Trump is he finds him to vulgar that's it.

Romney is a truly awful Republican who gets way to many brownie points for been articulate and now and then standing up to Trump.

I don't think Obama was perfect, but lord imagine if we had a Mitt Romney presidency ? The Free market on absolute steroids.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The issue Romney has with Trump is he finds him to vulgar that's it.

Romney is a truly awful Republican who gets way to many brownie points for been articulate and now and then standing up to Trump.

I don't think Obama was perfect, but lord imagine if we had a Mitt Romney presidency ? The Free market on absolute steroids.

Romney is a less intelligent Reagan.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Quick senate question

So 2 seats in Georgia have to do a run off in January, so what happens to those seats in the meantime? Is the senate down two seats until then?

Advertisement