Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Brian? wrote: »
    Romney is a less intelligent Reagan.

Yeah that's fair.

I will say though and this is dragging the thread down ever more so than usual, I hope to God I look that good when I am 73 as Mitt does. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Quick senate question

So 2 seats in Georgia have to do a run off in January, so what happens to those seats in the meantime? Is the senate down two seats until then?

The ecumbants hold them I think.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Mayor of Philadelphia: "Time for the President to put his big boy pants on, acknowledge the fact that he lost and congratulate the winner."

Big boy pants :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Fair play to John King for not completely cracking up by having to repeat some variation of "The remaining votes in Pennsylvania are expected to very strongly favour Joe Biden" every half an hour while showing us filled outlines of Buck's County on his magic wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford responds to Trump campaign: "This six-page complaint that they filed late last night is, in a word, garbage."

No surprise there then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Mayor of Philadelphia: "Time for the President to put his big boy pants on, acknowledge the fact that he lost and congratulate the winner."

Big boy pants :D

I don't know the Mayor of Philadelphia, but in my head I am hearing Rocky Balboa saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Quick senate question

So 2 seats in Georgia have to do a run off in January, so what happens to those seats in the meantime? Is the senate down two seats until then?

Nope. Loeffler and Perdue are the sitting Senators.

The likes of Cory Gardner, Martha McSally and Doug Jones who all lost their races will remain in their seats until the new session starts in January.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The likes of Cory Gardner, Martha McSally and Doug Jones who all lost their races will remain in their seats until the new session starts in January.

Martha McSally lost a special election so Senator Mark Kelly will take up his position on November 30th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah that's fair.

I will say though and this is dragging the thread down ever more so than usual, I hope to God I look that good when I am 73 as Mitt does. :eek:

In fairness he’s a fresh looking 73.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

paul71 wrote: »
    I don't know the Mayor of Philadelphia, but in my head I am hearing Rocky Balboa saying that.

Surely its Dennis from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Brian? wrote: »
    Romney is a less intelligent Reagan.

You're giving Reagan too much credit here.

godtabh wrote: »
    Surely its Dennis from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

You are giving me far too much credit on the scale of youth, I am more likely to know a 70s movie than a 00's sitcom.;):o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You're giving Reagan too much credit here.

I'm really not. Romney is a plank.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Apparently NBC have indicated they will call it for Biden when his lead in PA gets to 35k.

Just in case this was missed earlier. The current vote in Pennsylvania is of votes received on or before 3rd November. That is in accordance with state legislation.
    Based on that Biden is 12,500 ahead.

There was a subsequent (to the passing of that legislation) Pennsylvania court decision allowing votes received up to the 6th but post marked on or before the 3rd. The votes in the 2nd category have been ringfenced and not yet counted. CBS explained earlier that the Federal supreme court cannot rule on state legislation but it can rule on decisions by the Pennsylvania court.

So Biden wins even if the Federal supreme court overturns the Supreme Pennsylvania court. Thats my understanding unless someone has a better understanding.

Apparently NBC have indicated they will call it for Biden when his lead in PA gets to 35k.

I assume the other networks will follow if that happens.

Edit: CNN are explaining how they will call Pennsylvania.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Canice Picklington

What's the difference between the Republican party and online conspiracy theory lunatics?

Suits?

What's the difference between the Republican party and Gemma O'Doherty?

Genuinely, what's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Entertainment wise, CNN's Jake Tapper keeps referring to Trumps children as spawn.:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Looks like Arizona isn't far from the gap exceeding the recount trigger point. Nevada is outside it now.

Arizona is a million miles from recount territory - the Threshold is 0.1% there , Biden currently leads by 1.4%.

They are both done , as is Pennsylvania.

Georgia is a reasonable recount request given how narrow it is , but anything else is just time wasting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Quick senate question

Correct - Same for any changes in the House - Unless it was a special election they stay where they are until the new Congress is convened in January (4th I think). Special Election winners take their seats at the end of the month when they come back after Thanksgiving.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Arizona is a million miles from recount territory - the Threshold is 0.1% there , Biden currently leads by 1.4%.

Georgia is a reasonable recount request given how narrow it is , but anything else is just time wasting.

I agree but given that Pennsylvania as it stands will give Biden the presidency, they probably want to cross the t’s and dot the i’s and don’t want to have to backtrack even if it’s highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Georgia still has overseas ballots as well right so it could potentially drop below 1000 realistically. The others are done alright.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Georgia still has overseas ballots as well right so it could potentially drop below 1000 realistically. The others are done alright.

Well those ballots in Georgia could be up to 8,000 but they don’t know how many. They’ll know by 10pm our time today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Saganist wrote: »
    Fox staff being told not to call Biden President-Elect, even when he reaches 270+

Some neck.

https://twitter.com/MrErnestOwens/status/1324728574906126336

Technically, they're not wrong. He's not the President Elect until after the electoral College has voted. It would be more correct to describe Biden as the presumptive President-elect.

Technically, they're not wrong. He's not the President Elect until after the electoral College has voted. It would be more correct to describe Biden as the presumptive President-elect.

And I'm pretty sure they referred to previous presidents as President-elect in prior elections once they pass the 270 point.... Let's be realistic here, it's entirely an effort to lend credibility to his conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jo jo the eskimo

Would they ever get on with it and call it!
    The Trumps will take it bad but the supporters they'll be fine just have to dust themselves off and be grand again in no time, their hardly gonna melt and besides they can always give it another go in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Isn't it about some for one of the major networks to call it?

I need a good night of sleep soon.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well those ballots in Georgia could be up to 8,000 but they don’t know how many. They’ll know by 10pm our time today.

A recount in Georgia is absolutely fair given the current situation.

However , as it's now moved to ~1200 vote lead it's getting less likely that would change the result.

The volume and distribution of those overseas ballots will be important.

If there are about 8000 as reported and they were to break roughly 60:40 to Trump (60% being roughly the GOP level of support in the Military) then that would give Trump a roughly 1600 vote net gain.

In that case , Biden would be the one looking for the recount as he'd only be ~400 behind.

However . Trumps support in the military recently isn't great , in fact in August he was under water with the military

If that were to bear out in these ballots , or even slightly above 50% Biden is probably safe in Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

Can’t believe the Trump Trains didn’t work...

Like, I know if I'm on my way to the polling station to vote or going to the shops to buy something and I was suddenly surrounded by a bunch of pickup trucks, driving erratically and beeping their horns at me so much, it becomes a ****ing drone, I'd motivated to vote for that candidate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭westdublin

Stop dumping memes please.

Advertisement