Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will there be hanging chads if there is a recount in Georgia lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Will there be hanging chads if there is a recount in Georgia lol.

It's Georgia, they're happy to hang chad or bob or jimmy so long as he's black.

Think that might be one of the most abominable jokes I've made...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Maricopa County count centre going into lockdown due to a large protest outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,811 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks on edge for Biden in Arizona.

It would be far preferable if he won it.

He has a 41,000 vote lead but Trump is catching up and only has to increase the pace by a few percentage points to take the state. Trump campaign adamant they have the votes and will scrape through.

It does raise the hypocrisy though - keep counting every vote in Arizona but stop the count in Pennsylvania.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And I'm pretty sure they referred to previous presidents as President-elect in prior elections once they pass the 270 point.... Let's be realistic here, it's entirely an effort to lend credibility to his conspiracies.

Probably.

But the part of me that likes accuracy approves of the objective position, regardless of the motivation behind it. Sometimes the correct thing can be done for the wrong reason, doesn't make it less correct.

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    Just in case this was missed earlier. The current vote in Pennsylvania is of votes received on or before 3rd November. That is in accordance with state legislation.
    Based on that Biden is 12,500 ahead.

There was a subsequent (to the passing of that legislation) Pennsylvania court decision allowing votes received up to the 6th but post marked on or before the 3rd. The votes in the 2nd category have been ringfenced and not yet counted. CBS explained earlier that the Federal supreme court cannot rule on state legislation but it can rule on decisions by the Pennsylvania court.

So Biden wins even if the Federal supreme court overturns the Supreme Pennsylvania court. Thats my understanding unless someone has a better understanding.

The Federal Supreme Court has already dealt with that case twice now. The 1st time it tied at 4-4. The 2nd time, was after Barrett joined, and she declined to get involved as she hadnt had time to read the papers. It's now just been put back in for a 3rd time.

Edit: just to be clear, the SCOTUS case is about whether ballots postmarked on/before Nov 3 and received up to Friday 6th incl. should be counted. ALL these ballots have been shrink-wrapped and have NOT been included in counts to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Is it possible to post in this Forum having wanted Trump to win ahead of Biden?

Its simply not allowed in Current Affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

More Nevada votes due at midnight tonight Irish time. Approximately 120,000 votes left to count in that state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

It's certainly possible, but one might want to have one's facts and figures ready and not come with a persecution complex about how half the country is engaged in a conspiracy against him, including members of his own party and apparently the entire news media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The Federal Supreme Court has already dealt with that case twice now. The 1st time it tied at 4-4. The 2nd time, was after Barrett joined, and she declined to get involved as she hadnt had time to read the papers. It's now just been put back in for a 3rd time.

Yes and it seems the election officials built in a redundancy in case the Supreme court reverses the Pennsylvanian court decision on the 3rd attempt.

That redundancy has Biden winning so the Supreme decision will not effect the result no matter which way they decide. Biden wins either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    A recount in Georgia is absolutely fair given the current situation.

However , as it's now moved to ~1200 vote lead it's getting less likely that would change the result.

The volume and distribution of those overseas ballots will be important.

If there are about 8000 as reported and they were to break roughly 60:40 to Trump (60% being roughly the GOP level of support in the Military) then that would give Trump a roughly 1600 vote net gain.

In that case , Biden would be the one looking for the recount as he'd only be ~400 behind.

However . Trumps support in the military recently isn't great , in fact in August he was under water with the military

If that were to bear out in these ballots , or even slightly above 50% Biden is probably safe in Georgia.

If Biden loses Georgia by a narrow margin, but wins the election over all. Will he even bother with a recount ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Of course it is... though I daresay if what you wanted to say about Trump/Biden was not allowed over there it may not be great here...

But I think all reasonable commentary is grand.

You just did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

of course , the morning before the trump collapse here was nothing but trump fans giving it loads but you are welcome
    a great lady once said when they go low we go high :)

It's certainly possible, but one might want to have one's facts and figures ready and not come with a persecution complex about how half the country is engaged in a conspiracy against him, including members of his own party and apparently the entire news media.

Why not? Isn't this a discussion forum???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And just 4,169 votes remaining, at least until the 8,000 military and votes from abroad are included.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Maricopa County count centre going into lockdown due to a large protest outside.

I really dont understand why they are doing it, Arizona is the only one of the remaining states I see could change back to red.

So discuss based on facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭useless

That project manager guy from Georgia on CNN now is loving the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s a discussion forum, but not a free for all. This area of boards tries to take a slightly more grown-up fact based approach in terms of modding, with the more broad emotional opinions leaning more towards the Current Affairs/IMHO side. That’s the distinction between the threads.

• Advertisement

useless wrote: »

He even referred to 'Yankees' not knowing how to pronounce some county names correctly!

I'd say he's a joy in the Country Club!

peteeeed wrote: »
    of course , the morning before the trump collapse here was nothing but trump fans giving it loads but you are welcome
    a great lady once said when they go low we go high :)

I only logged in two days ago when it was already swinging for Biden.

I just don't get why its open season on Trump over there but say anything against Biden and you're canned. Its bizarre on an Irish discussion forum that one of the US Presidential candidates needs to be protected from insult.

But I can't bash this Forum for the behaviour of another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think most of his supporters would best post on the Conspiracy Theory forum....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

useless wrote: »

From the moment that he arrived and gave out about the mics blocking his computer I knew he'd be a melt

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Rikand wrote: »
    If Biden loses Georgia by a narrow margin, but wins the election over all. Will he even bother with a recount ?

Probably not - Why bother?

Certainly wouldn't expect him to do it "just because".

If the Democrat election monitors saw something to concern them then perhaps , but otherwise no.

I only logged in two days ago when it was already swinging for Biden.

I just don't get why its open season on Trump over there but say anything against Biden and you're canned. Its bizarre on an Irish discussion forum that one of the US Presidential candidates needs to be protected from insult.

But I can't bash this Forum for the behaviour of another!

What would you define as an insult? Please do bear in mind that the man "who needs to be protected from insult" has set the bar very low by his own rhetoric in the last number of years.

He is the man who called Mexicans rapists and referred to woman as objects whose pussies he could grab at will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Probably not - Why bother?

Certainly wouldn't expect him to do it "just because".

If the Democrat election monitors saw something to concern them then perhaps , but otherwise no.

I dont know, the more votes/winning of states the more legitimate his win is and Trump will end wasting more time and money suing another state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

I think the reason why the preponderance of posters here are in favour of Biden is because we are distant enough from the US to be able to see things objectively. And anyone with half a brain or with any moral compass can see what a blight on democracy Trump is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is a tedious, long wait.

Will any MSM declare soon I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont know, the more votes/winning of states the more legitimate his win is and Trump will end wasting more time and money suing another state

Maybe , but if everything else goes as is currently he'd be on 290.

I guess a lot would depend on the state of all the other counts and challenges.

Advertisement