Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

paul71 wrote: »
    Please do bear in mind that the man "who needs to be protected from insult" has set the bar very low by his own rhetoric in the last number of years.

He is the man who called Mexicans rapists and referred to woman as objects whose pussies he could grab at will.

No that's the other fella. I'm talking about Joe.
    What would you define as an insult?
    I said Joe was in the early stages of senility and was banned. The post right above it had a tirade of abuse toward Trump (as does every 2nd post on the Forum) and those posters ain't touched.

But my overall point is why should either of these two be protected from insult on an Irish msg board? I mean, what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I said Joe was in the early stages of senility and was banned. The post right above it had a tirade of abuse toward Trump (as does every 2nd post on the Forum) and those posters ain't touched.

But my overall point is why should either of these two be protected from insult on an Irish msg board? I mean, what's the point?

There has been ongoing warnings on that thread with regard to people making that unfounded claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Why not? Isn't this a discussion forum???

I don't understand, do you mean why would one not want to come with their facts and figures straight? Well primarily because one might end up like so many others have; coming in, spouting off a bunch of half truths, empty cliches and plain falsehoods, ended up thoroughly roasted by a forum membership not willing to broach any nonsense, and then proclaiming oppression and suppression when they end up leaving or banned.

I call this process the Brexiteer progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭josip

It sounds like you have come here to discuss mod decisions from another thread?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That will get you a time-out here as well. That applies to Trump as well though.

There is a higher standard expected here.

Evidence and fact based discussion for the most part.

Nicknames , Memes , Twitter dumps or long link dumps are also frowned on.

The Forum rules are here

Welcome though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Probably not - Why bother?

Certainly wouldn't expect him to do it "just because".

If the Democrat election monitors saw something to concern them then perhaps , but otherwise no.

Why bother? Jeez! Imagine if you were one of the 1st time Black voters in an Atlanta poverty-stricken neighbourhood, and the guy you voted for didn't even bother to have your vote recognised if there was even a slim chance of overturning an initial result? Imagine if Biden didn't fight for EVERY single Electoral College vote and let Trump have GA's 16 EC votes, thereby narrowing the gap by 32, AND a few challenges or 'faithless electors' emerged elsewhere?? Count them all, and IF the result is close enough to warrant a re-count, count them again, entirely within the rules..

And the same would apply to the Trump campaign if Biden wins by a re-count margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

And rightfully so, what a vile thing to say about someone, especially when there's absolutely no evidence to back that up whatsoever.
    And let's call a spade a spade, you're butthurt over the election, you want to whinge and moan and take away from Biden's victory, but this isn't your safe space where you can spout crap like that without repercussions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Why bother? Jeez! Imagine if you were one of the 1st time Black voters in an Atlanta poverty-stricken neighbourhood, and the guy you voted for didn't even bother to have your vote recognised if there was even a slim chance of overturning an initial result? Imagine if Biden didn't fight for EVERY single Electoral College vote and let Trump have GA's 16 EC votes, thereby narrowing the gap by 32, AND a few challenges or 'faithless electors' emerged elsewhere?? Count them all, and IF the result is close enough to warrant a re-count, count them again, entirely within the rules..

And the same would apply to the Trump campaign if Biden wins by a re-count margin.

I hear what you are saying , I just think that they'd need to have a degree of justification relative the the scatter-gun approach from Trump - Perhaps saying "It's less than 500 votes , we should double-check" is enough though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Looking at that Github site, Trump has been on the brink of the threshold required to flip Arizona in the most recent vote bundles, but with 227,000 votes remaining, some of those outstanding could yet slow him down:

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

CNN Tagline is "Sources: Frenzy in WH as realization Trump could lose sets in"

Would love to be a fly on the wall in there.

Am really hoping this election is called soon, it's seriously dragging on at this stage and another night of uncertainty into a weekend will be frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Looking at that Github site, Trump has been on the brink of the threshold required to flip Arizona in the most recent vote bundles, but with 227,000 votes remaining, some of those outstanding could yet slow him down:

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

Thank you!!!! I have been keeping a spreadsheet similar to that to track the blocks for the last couple of days, now I can just leave it....:)

Edit

Except I was breaking it down to county level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No problem with a recount or a judge looking into real problems, but saying the whole thing is corrupt is very dangerous and outrageous.

US Election: CNN’s John King wins Irish viewers’ votes

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/us-election-cnn-s-john-king-wins-irish-viewers-votes-1.4402639

John King has been a revelation in analysis, a joy to watch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

salmocab wrote: »
    Or alternatively the people of America decided to elect someone else.

sounds much more plausible to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Dismissing the result and alleging illegal activity without a source is trolling. Post deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I hear what you are saying , I just think that they'd need to have a degree of justification relative the the scatter-gun approach from Trump - Perhaps saying "It's less than 500 votes , we should double-check" is enough though

Georgia law says if the gap is less than 0.5% of total votes cast, then a re-count is permissible. Assuming a 5 million vote total, that puts a gap of less than 25,000 into re-count territory.

salmocab wrote: »
    There has been ongoing warnings on that thread with regard to people making that unfounded claim.

But why?

(All the other insults labelled against Trump - crazy, lunatic, insane etc - notwithstanding)
    I don't understand, do you mean why would one not want to come with their facts and figures straight? Well primarily because one might end up like so many others have; coming in, spouting off a bunch of half truths, empty cliches and plain falsehoods, ended up thoroughly roasted by a forum membership not willing to broach any nonsense, and then proclaiming oppression and suppression when they end up leaving or banned.

I call this process the Brexiteer progression.

But that's just your opinion. I think the President was a better candidate than Biden. You seem to be saying that alone is grounds for banning?

I don't understand the Brexiteer reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jo jo the eskimo

More or less the same count has been on all the screens for 2 or 3 days saying the same story over and over again.

Could fox news not roll someone out, someone sympathetic to their cause. To tell em it ain't all that bad.
    They can do the rallies, so no need to throw away the hats and all the gear.
    If they have the rallies they still have the "lock um up" chants
    There's also the youtube videos with trump as a superhero, no real reason to stop them, they look like there great fun

They can still even do the whole winding up the libs thing they love that.
    All is far from lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's a great resource thanks. Just gonna hit F5 on that for the rest of the night.

That's a great resource thanks. Just gonna hit F5 on that for the rest of the night.

Yeah, that's very interesting. Thanks. However, it assumes State-wide spread of each block, whereas individual counties actually vary quite dramatically.

• Advertisement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election_recount_in_Florida#/media/File:Butterfly_Ballot,_Florida_2000_(large).jpg

The only time there has ever been any issue with count errors that I know of was because of the design of this ballot paper in Florida in 2000. 2 sided with perforation marks in the middle.

Most of the time they only find 100 or 200 in polls of 5 or 6 million people.

First past the post simply does not lend itself to errors unless you have a badly designed ballot paper like the above.

One of the USPS officials in Pennsylvania has just agreed to go on the record and is willing to testify under oath to the backdating of ballots.

They will be releasing his interview imminently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The amount of crap with many of these court cases going on behind the scenes. The lady form AZ in charge of the count was saying how GOP using a court case to slow down the counting.

One of the USPS officials in Pennsylvania has just agreed to go on the record and is willing to testify under oath to the backdating of ballots.

Link please

Yeah. Sourced by the far-right Project Veritas. Want to buy some beans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭westdublin

Who will be releasing his interview, can you post a link to the story ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

But why?

(All the other insults labelled against Trump - crazy, lunatic, insane etc - notwithstanding)

But that's just your opinion. I think the President was a better candidate than Biden. You seem to be saying that alone is grounds for banning?

I don't understand the Brexiteer reference.

Lets kinda forget about the other things and other forums and what can be said and not. You said you wanted someone to discuss trump, the floor is your.

Your a trump supporter, you think he was a better candidate and I assume your disappointed he's beat.

What was it you liked about him and what was it that made him a better candidate than Biden? I don't think its hard to answer and discuss this without resorting to insulting either of them or going into wild conspiracy theory land is it?

What did you like about trump and his presidency?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yeah. Sourced by the far-right Project Veritas. Want to buy some beans?

Ok so its more of a sauce than a source, do the magic beans take me to the Giant's castle?

• Advertisement

Link please

Project Veritas are claiming to have sourced the insider. So, ya know....

No.

Advertisement