Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Breaking News from CNN

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows has tested positive for Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Still lying about your "whistleblower" (who didn't blow any whistles) after being called out on it numerous times already?
    Di you miss this?
    "I was firmly of the belief that they were going to be backdated"

And there are others, he's not alone.
    Is this not a wonderful thing? To open up forms of voting that increase voter turnout of the American people? Especially those on the margins of society!

Sure, when it's secure - and Trump has always made it clear he supports such mail voting, indeed he has used it himself, but as it stands, it's too open to fraud and it's not as if this is all being said after the fact, both Trump and Barr (and Nadler) spoke about this before the election:

"Playing with fire"

https://twitter.com/tbooneus/status/1324820890266292224

Frankly it doesn't matter a damn who you support - as an American, allowing voting measures that increase the often embarrassingly low voter turnout in the United States should always be seen as a good thing.

Would you support non-citizens being allowed to vote in Presidential elections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,058 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Di you miss this?

Sure, when it's secure - and Trump has always made it clear he supports such mail voting, indeed he has used it himself, but as it stands, it's too open to fraud and it's not as if this is all being said after the fact, both Trump and Barr (and Nadler) spoke about this before the election:

"Playing with fire"

Explain what the fraud is and how the fraud would survive through the several layers of processing and adjudication that mail in ballots are going through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So meadows and several other WH staffers are now infected? Jesus how are they this incapable of learning the most basic of lessons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

VinLieger wrote:
    So meadows and several other WH staffers are now infected? Jesus how are they this incapable of learning the most basic of lessons?

Since its the 'china virus', maybe they think only Chinese folks get it or something, God only knows what their logic is, and who wants to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Biden just left his house,

I heard he's moving house soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Field east

Breaking News from CNN

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows has tested positive for Covid.[/QUOTE

]
    How come that we have absolutely no information on any of the well known individuals who have contacted the Corona virus - especially the Barrett ‘lady’s inauguration party - apart from the Donald and his wife. Did they all ‘fully recover’ like the Donald.?

Breaking News from CNN

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows has tested positive for Covid.

I know this appears to make me look petty, but i care nothing for him getting it.

He is a nasty, nasty, snide little man who seems to delight in being cruel

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1315713355194212355?s=19

On a separate note, once more for those trump supporters in the back, where the **** were you when the voter suppression and gereal ****ery of the GOO was happening in 2018? Where the hell were ye when Trump stood accused of pressuring a foreign government with allocated tax payer money to dig up non existent dirt on Biden, got impeached and then did it again the next very day? Where were you when the court found Trump told his then personal lawyer to break campaign finance law?

Spare me the ****ing pesrl clutching now. You only hold one side upto the rigour of the rules and what's more, you mock them for it.

So as far as I'm concerned, you have zero legs to stand on.

Take your seat and take your medicine.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,740 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Why oh why can trump supporters not understand that the reason they are getting walloped in the mail in votes is nothing to do with fraud or conspiracy, but the fact your own guy, your president, TOLD HIS OWN SUPPORTERS NOT TO MAIL IN VOTES.

Its so simple

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Di you miss this?

"Playing with fire"

Haha can't make this up, your own quote that you say we are missing 'i was firmly of the belief'...as in he thought or he believes. That is not evidence!

Let me put it another, I am firmly of the belief that you are a spoon. Does that make it true?

• Advertisement

Cool your jets ffs

Nothing that i said was incorrect. If you want to do more than tell me to calm down I'll listen. Otherwise, click "ignore poster" and get on with your day.

If I appear annoyed it's because one of the most powerful men in the world used the office of the president and abused his power to gaslight a nation for 5 or so years. That trifling matter seems to have gotten on my goat some some strange reason.

He is showing now, contrary to the image he projected and an image his followers were gullible in accepting, that he is a petty, childish and weak little man who revelled in bullying people and believes, as do his followers, that the rules don't apply to him. He is now getting his long overdue comeuppance.

Some people look upon the last 5 years as pure entertainment, or took some sort of delight in "owning the libs". However, he was and remains to be a fundamental threat to American democracy and those that don't realise aren't paying enough attention, or don't care when they really should.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Why oh why can trump supporters not understand that the reason they are getting walloped in the mail in votes is nothing to do with fraud or conspiracy, but the fact your own guy, your president, TOLD HIS OWN SUPPORTERS NOT TO MAIL IN VOTES.

Its so simple

Because its easier to believe theres a massive conspiracy than the truth that theyve been led up the garden path for 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,779 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bush was an appalling president. He went to war on a lie and crashed the economy.

But he wasn't the first US president to go to war on a lie, Lyndon Johnson did so as well, though Johnson was a far superior president to Bush in every other way.

Bush was a stepping stone to Trump. Trump could not have happened without Bush.

But however bad Bush was, and he was terrible, he didn't sell his own country out like Trump did. He wouldn't have reacted as badly to Covid if it had happened on his watch. He at least tried to govern, if only in the utterly cack handed way that a bog standard useless, corporate Republican does. He didn't hate the people of his own country like Trump does. He didn't promote hatred between the people of his own country like Trump does. He didn't glory in sadism against his own people. He didn't praise Nazis and cultivate them as a private paramilitary group. He only created a parallel world of dystopian fantasy as regards some things, rather than literally everything. He wasn't quite as corrupt as Trump. He wasn't quite as anti-science as Trump. He didn't reject democracy to quite the same extent Trump does.

Trump would no doubt have crashed the US economy without a pandemic had he had another few years at it, and probably worse than Bush did. Crashing an economy takes time - even Bush only got around to it in his final year.

Bush left America in a place where it was possible, with some serious effort, to recover from what he did. I don't think Trump has. America now has to live with a rabid mob of 50-60 million people for whom basic truths are now a mortal attack on their whole identity.

Some legacy, and it will be a legacy, because the effects will be felt for a hell of a long time.

By outside view I meant for non US countries. I should have been clearer on that but ya for the US no one has wrecked the place quite like Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

sydthebeat wrote: »

Its so simple

Why would they suddenly start using logic now.

Even Fox and Laura Ingram are now saying Trump needs to accept it.

But I'm sure the approach of some will still be 'there are questions, now disprove me' which is the same approach that flat earther and conspiracy theorists in general have.

Unfortunately Court challenges don't work that way. They require actual evidence. And unfortunately not just evidence you like, it has to be real too.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Biden is over 7k ahead now in Georgia. Even with the recount I’d say that’s too many votes for it to change back to Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Field east

Akrasia wrote: »
    The GOP are fine with losing this election if they can control the senate. They’re handing over the reigns of a poisoned chalice, depressed economy, raging pandemic, divided society on a knife edge with ongoing riots and civil unrest... they will focus on blaming the Biden administration for everything while blocking him at every turn. And they’ll get away with it because the US media are a complete joke

Was the republican majority senate in bed 100% with Trumps policies/antics / executive orders. Was it a case that they had to go along with him ‘for peace sake’/ re election reasons, etc. maybe it might change tact with the absence of Trump and a democratic president - if Biden gets there.
    Would it not be the case that if the senate going forward blocks all proposals being put forward by Biden - if elected- and especially that would be of clear benefit to American society/ large parts of it, that wavering republican voters might not look too kindly on their candidate come the next election?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well well well. Voter fraud discovered. Unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

darem93 wrote: »
    Biden is over 7k ahead now in Georgia. Even with the recount I’d say that’s too many votes for it to change back to Trump.

Worth repeating what I have said several times. A recount in the US never finds more than a couple of hundred votes across several million votes, because it is a first past the post system.

In Ireland recounts will find a couple of hundred votes in every 50,000, because we select 5, 6 or 7 preferences.

There is room in our more complicated system for human error, while in a FPTP system it is hard to make a mistake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Constructive posts only please. Tweet dumps, one-liners and posts with insults deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭jasonb

everlast75 wrote: »
    darem93 wrote: »

Was this confirmed? AP's map still has it at 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Sparko

jasonb wrote: »
    Was this confirmed? AP's map still has it at 4k.

CNN's on screen graphic going with 7,248.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

7248 ahead in Georgia on a number of news outlets the last few hours.
    In reality how close are they to calling a state , will it be days rather than hours ? Just want to see the 253 change ... all states seem to be stuck on high 90,s of votes counted

The sooner the better Trump takes his medicine the better for the Country...

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1324890631223844864?s=19

harr wrote: »
    7248 ahead in Georgia on a number of news outlets the last few hours.
    In reality how close are they to calling a state , will it be days rather than hours ? Just want to see the 253 change ... all states seem to be stuck on high 90,s of votes counted

They will do the recount first so probably Thursday next week at the earliest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,779 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

VinLieger wrote: »

It's sad really. Ide love a resolution at this stage but sadly this will be dragged out until the last minute and inauguration day will be as close as we get to a nice victory moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

VinLieger wrote: »

Calling that state maybe. Others sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I know its frustrating, it really is but I do firmly believe it is better they take their time. Cross all the t's dot the i's and ensure that every vote is properly verified and counted. It will help keep a firewall around the inevitable frivolous lawsuits - most are getting bounced out of court as soon as they come in but you don't want to leave any hope. You don't want any human error to leave the door open and be latched upon. Make sure its air tight and get it done right.

One way or another its over, he's done, him and his supporters (I do have sympathy for so many of them who have been conned and genuinely believe the lies they have been fed) can feel about that how they like. Their buddy Ben Shapiro has some words of advice for them regarding facts and feelings that I am sure most them are familiar with having used the phrase incessantly for the past 4 years. The video of junior almost in tears floating about as he rage rants was a glorious one to wake up to today.

If you are getting overly frustrated just imagine how it must feel for the Donald and his circle? The walls closing in, nowhere to go, nothing they can do and finding themselves more and more isolated as the days drag on. Impending doom is not a nice feeling to have to sit with.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Di you miss this?

"Playing with fire"

This is the problem when you get to spend 4 years making up whatever facts you want and not having to back them up. When you're asked to give proof you have no idea what that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Trump lawyers must crawling all over the states of GA, PA, NA filing suits for the flimsiest of reasons, when it all fails will Trumps call be to the Proud Boys?

Advertisement