Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,779 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

signostic wrote: »
    Trump lawyers must crawling all over the states of GA, PA, NA filing suits for the flimsiest of reasons, when it all fails will Trumps call be to the Proud Boys?

Trump's lawyers must be the only people loving this mess. Plenty of business coming their way over the next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Trump's lawyers must be the only people loving this mess. Plenty of business coming their way over the next month

Until they start to worry about getting paid at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

If you are getting overly frustrated just imagine how it must feel for the Donald and his circle? The walls closing in, nowhere to go, nothing they can do and finding themselves more and more isolated as the days drag on. Impending doom is not a nice feeling to have to sit with.

Sounds rather like how someone might feel in a detention cage in Texas, only difference being, at least Donald and his circle knows where their children are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

paul71 wrote: »
    Until they start to worry about getting paid at least.

If i were them id be demanding it up front, that's likely what those emergency emails were about on Wednesday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Then Trump will forget to pay his lawyers when he loses lol.

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    Then Trump will forget to pay his lawyers when he loses lol.

At that stage his lawyers will be able to go to court with actual evidence in a case that they will win. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭circadian

Biden is past the 0.5% recount threshold in Pennsylvania. Still more counts to go but Pennsylvania could just finish it now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I get the feeling even the lawyers are cringing.

What high profile lawyer is really going to relish taking a case knowing full well there is zero evidence?

Graham wrote: »

What high profile lawyer is really going to relish taking a case knowing full well there is zero evidence?

Rudi

paul71 wrote: »
    Rudi

I'll rephrase

'credible lawyers'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭letowski

Though not really relevant, I'm not convinced by that logic. Stewart and Benning are both combat arms bases. The Army does not care where you are from when it assigns you places, and blacks disproportionately choose 'trade' jobs. (Mechanic, logistics, admin etc). The argument, for what little credence I give it, would apply more to bases like Lee or Knox.

My point was not that aren’t relevant, it’s that the proportion left won’t change the outcome of the race in Georgia. The vast majority of active military mail ballots have been counted, the 8.9k of ballots left are likely just the ones that just didn’t decide to vote. And let’s say for hypothetical sake they all come in, about 40% of the active military are of an ethnic minority background (pew). They will most likely split in favour of Biden if anything. Anyway since my last post, Biden is nearly 8k ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Graham wrote: »

You’re assuming high profile lawyers in the US have any sense of shame or self respect in them at all

They don’t. There’ll be no shortage of lads looking for this gig

Dodge wrote: »
    You’re assuming high profile lawyers in the US have any sense of shame or self respect in them at all

In which case it should be fun to watch them being handed their own backsides by assorted judges. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Seeing how Pennsylvania has 1% of votes to count which is less than 50,000, and there is already a majority for Biden of 28,877. I think it is looking like a very strong win for Biden.

He has 264 if Arizona's 11 ECV are included, 253 without that state. 10% of votes to count still, some news outlets are already calling it, so that one is a bit up in the air.

Pennsylvania has 20 ECV, which brings Biden to 284 or 273. Either of which is a win, any extra votes is just gravey on top.

The way things are going I think the only remaining state that Trump will win is Alaska, hope he enjoys those 3 ECV, to bring his score to a 216.

Trump is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dodge wrote: »

Is there not a danger that they could be held in contempt of court for bringing baseless cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Midlife wrote: »
    Why would they suddenly start using logic now.

Even Fox and Laura Ingram are now saying Trump needs to accept it.

But I'm sure the approach of some will still be 'there are questions, now disprove me' which is the same approach that flat earther and conspiracy theorists in general have.

Unfortunately Court challenges don't work that way. They require actual evidence. And unfortunately not just evidence you like, it has to be real too.

I had a dream last night! I dreamed that all the Angels for Donald's re-election that Donald's spiritual advisor Paula White's prayer session on Wednesday called in DID actually take off on gossamer wings. They DID come from Africa and South America, just as she wanted. They DID come to Donald's aid. So Paula's prayer worked!

However, when the Angels from Africa and South America arrived at the Southern Border, they could'nt get in as they had no earthly ties to the US! So, there's now a couple of flights of African and South American Angels lying around in some Mexican Asylum camps, trying to build up enough energy to fly back home..

It looks like the "sick state" and above all the "demonic confederacies" beat the living **** out of Donald after all!

SAD!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AUmMUmLYT1Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was just listening to the podcast version of Brian Williams show from last night and I think Brian Williams is amazing but he had two progressives(as they called themselves) and something came to me while listening to them talk. And it’s Jesus do they say an awful lot of words to say something basic.

All these buzzwords and phrases that make an already admirable position and point of view sound snobby. If you need to build a garden wall you build a garden wall, you don’t need a moat and rampart next to it. And I’d be on their Side in most of that they say, but if I thousands of miles away finds it snobby then is it any wonder people in America find it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

The best thing Trump can do for the Republican party is walk away, and if he accepts his defeat with dignity and maturity it'll be a consolation for himself, his party and follower's.

Better to be remembered for taking it like a man rather than throwing another tantrum.

He could make his defeat work for him, open up to the people and explain that he wasn't the most popular person with a lot of people and wish the country people and Joe Biden well.

But I'd say that won't be the case, I'd be more republican leaning they'll have the senate and House of representatives so in a way they'll still have power.

Good luck to the Democrats and I'm sure they'll do as best they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Haha can't make this up, your own quote that you say we are missing 'i was firmly of the belief'...as in he thought or he believes. That is not evidence!

Let me put it another, I am firmly of the belief that you are a spoon. Does that make it true?

Actually, your belief is different. Your belief is supported by years of postings that would be accepted by any judge as E.V.I.D.E.N.C.E of so-called 'spoonery'. Whether the judge would find your belief factually based could then be argued in Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

CountNjord wrote: »
    The best thing Trump can do for the Republican party is ...

I'll stop you right there.

Trump doesn't care about the Republican party
    Trump doesn't care about his supporters
    Trump doesn't care about Supreme Court justices
    Trump doesn't care about the USA

All Trump really cares about is Trump. The above are things that he pretended to care about as a means to get what he really wants - uncritical adulation. That much has been evident for years and his behaviour since Tuesday only reinforces that.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    All these buzzwords and phrases that make an already admirable position and point of view sound snobby. If you need to build a garden wall you build a garden wall, you don’t need a moat and rampart next to it. And I’d be on their Side in most of that they say, but if I thousands of miles away finds it snobby then is it any wonder people in America find it that way.

I think I know what you mean. The one that gets me is "intersectional". As in "intersectional feminism". Took me a while of hearing that to realise they basically meant combining women's rights to equality with say, for example, black people's rights for equality.
    I can imagine that expression putting people right off but if they explained it in basic terms then most reasonable people wouldn't have any issues with it - "Oh yeah black women should be treated the same as white women who should be treated the same as men - cool, makes sense"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No memedumps please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

All Trump really cares about is Trump. The above are things that he pretended to care about as a means to get what he really wants - uncritical adulation. That much has been evident for years and his behaviour since Tuesday only reinforces that.

I know I know, sure you made your point quite clear and you have the facts to hold up your post.

Let's both stop right here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Actually, your belief is different. Your belief is supported by years of postings that would be accepted by any judge as E.V.I.D.E.N.C.E of so-called 'spoonery'. Whether the judge would find your belief factually based could then be argued in Court.

I can definitely *believe* that people might *believe* the absolute lies that have been spouted over the last few months by the administration. I also *know* that belief is not fact. The truth and facts of the matter, from the mouth of the 'whistleblower', is that there was an order given to segregate those votes.

If someone chooses to then believe that the exact opposite of that could possibly happen, that's great for them! Technically anything is possible. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is whether or not it did happen. There is, as of yet, zero evidence it did happen. The order to segregate was followed.

If you're honestly trying to argue that someone *believing* something illegal could happen is sufficient evidence to bring actual charges and convict then I honestly don't know what to say to that. Could you clarify what you meant by your post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,567 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Trumps knows the minute he's out of the power all those creditors will come a knocking and Trump will be bankrupt again....

I assume they'll be numerous investigations into Trump now and his dodgy dealings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Seeing how Pennsylvania has 1% of votes to count which is less than 50,000, and there is already a majority for Biden of 28,877. I think it is looking like a very strong win for Biden.

He has 264 if Arizona's 11 ECV are included, 253 without that state. 10% of votes to count still, some news outlets are already calling it, so that one is a bit up in the air.

Pennsylvania has 20 ECV, which brings Biden to 284 or 273. Either of which is a win, any extra votes is just gravey on top.

The way things are going I think the only remaining state that Trump will win is Alaska, hope he enjoys those 3 ECV, to bring his score to a 216.

Trump is over.

83,000, according to this:

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

I think I know what you mean. The one that gets me is "intersectional". As in "intersectional feminism". Took me a while of hearing that to realise they basically meant combining women's rights to equality with say, for example, black people's rights for equality.
    I can imagine that expression putting people right off but if they explained it in basic terms then most reasonable people wouldn't have any issues with it - "Oh yeah black women should be treated the same as white women who should be treated the same as men - cool, makes sense"

Well the poster said they use a lot of words to describe something basic whereas you are advocating the use of lots of words to describe something that can described with 2.
    These people are political commentators who talk about these things all the time and you want them to say "Oh yeah black women should be treated the same as white women who should be treated the same as men" everytime instead of intersectional feminist.
    Best that we stop using Dail Eireann and call it "place where the elected law makers meet up" to make it easier for people

Best that we stop using Dail Eireann and call it "place where the elected law makers meet up" to make it easier for people

That's not a fair comparison though. Dail Eireann isn't a buzzword which is what I was referencing in the original posters comment.

That's not a fair comparison though. Dail Eireann isn't a buzzword which is what I was referencing in the original posters comment.

Intersectional feminist isn't a buzzword either.
    And I don't see why people should be "put off" by big words or hate the people who use them like Trump fans seem to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Intersectional feminist isn't a buzzword either.
    And I don't see why people should be "put off" by big words or hate the people who use them like Trump fans seem to

The world over politicians know that being seen to be at the same level as your electorate is better that being seen to be in some shape or form above them.

Recently in this country a Green Party senator was quite open and honest when she says he adjusts her vocabulary when taking to different sectors of the electorate.

Advertisement