Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Biden wont be "left"enough for the vocal far left.

Police won't be defunded
    Embassy wont be moved from Jerusalem
    Etc

For the vast majority of Democrats who by European standards are firmly centre at least his presidency should be a return to normality but i predict it wont be complete harmony once the reality of Bidens beliefs and policies unfold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Headshot wrote: »
    Feck love to see a video of this now

Found it!
    https://twitter.com/Celticcurio/status/1325134614483103744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Drumpot wrote: »
    Some Trumps rallies were outside , what has that got to do with anything?

Glad CNN pointed out that Biden wouldn’t approve. They are bunched up in some areas.

Indeed, reminds me a bit of Klopp pleading with the Liverpool supporters to stay safe a few months ago.

I get it though... after 4 years of anxiety, its a fairly explosive catharsis.

It would be better if they didn't do it, but at least in contrast to the Trump rallies outside, everyone in this case is wearing a mask, which is of course a significant difference with regards spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Amy Klobucher a possibility, I wonder?

I'd be extremely careful about removing any incumbent Senators to fill roles in the cabinet if I were them.

Can't remember if they get to appoint their successor, or if they'd trigger a special election, but either way, it'd be bad for the long term stability of the seat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Just a note to thank posters on this thread (and another which I got banned on for over exuberance lol)

It was very therapeutic to chat with others on here over the past 4 years to discuss the outrageous behaviour, have others understand the gravity and somehow it helped cope with the madness. Some very astute and witty people on here.

Overall - It was a tough time for those who gave a ****.

(Apologies too to the mods for bothering ye too)

I'll be raising a glass to end what was an awful and disgusting time in American politics.

Cheers. Onwards and upwards, eh?

It’s been a pleasure to share these discussions with a lot of ye. The last few days have been especially good.

Fair play to he mods; you’re saints.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Boris Johnson just watched that clip and thought.."Arse"...

Gloriously subtle reminder to the UK of where his priorities are going to lie.

God its lovely to have an actual Statesman involved again...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

The mods can sleep now:)

• Administrators Posts: 54,006 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is poetry in Trump finding out it had been called for Biden while he was golfing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Indeed, reminds me a bit of Klopp pleading with the Liverpool supporters to stay safe a few months ago.

I get it though... after 4 years of anxiety, its a fairly explosive catharsis.

It would be better if they didn't do it, but at least in contrast to the Trump rallies outside, everyone in this case is wearing a mask, which is of course a significant difference with regards spread.

I totally understand it , I’d be a staunch Biden supporter in this battle.

If anything I’m just pointing out how we can let our own prejudices (Trump outdoor rallies bad) skewer our interpretations of things. Part of the issues in politics is that no side reflects on its own behaviors, it’s always pointing out the others flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

GTF with your 'should have their legitimate views respected by the political class' while claiming that political correctness is stifling and Identity politics or hyper individualism is an issue.

I believe you and other Trump fans believe what you have written and for me is another reason to be absolutely delighted with the result and Trump having been kicked out after 1 term.
    Not sure i get your argument. I'm not a 'Trump fan'. Identity politics and political correctness exists and there is such a thing as a 'political class'. You didn't address the main point of the post. The denigration of a whole group of people i.e. white working class men and women who voted for Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If anything I’m just pointing out how we can let our own prejudices (Trump outdoor rallies bad) skewer our interpretations of things. Part of the issues in politics is that no side reflects on its own behaviors, it’s always pointing out the others flaws.
    The difference is that one is a spontaneous gathering and the other is organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wonder how Scott Benton, Tory MP for Blackpool, is feeling tonight...

https://twitter.com/ScottBentonMP/status/1306627419311427584

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I’m delighted Trump lost, probably one of the most satisfying thing of 2020.

But these pictures of Philadelphia on CNN are kind of a bit surprising. The democrats are supposed to be all about being safe during COVID. I’m not complaining , it shows how relieved people are that Trump lost but if these were republicans celebrating a Trump win there would be uproar. Also shows how we will all interpret the same actions of different people depending on what we support.

Pretty much all wearing masks aren't they?
    Plus if you were watching CNN you'd have seen them comment on it too.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The difference is that one is a spontaneous gathering and the other is organised.

Maybe but it’s unwise and if those were republicans celebrating a Trump win people in here wouldn’t be as understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Biden wont be "left"enough for the vocal far left.

Police won't be defunded
    Embassy wont be moved from Jerusalem
    Etc

For the vast majority of Democrats who by European standards are firmly centre at least his presidency should be a return to normality but i predict it wont be complete harmony once the reality of Bidens beliefs and policies unfold

C',Mon, defund the police? You're still missing the point of what that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I'm so happy for America :)

Hurrache wrote: »
    Pretty much all wearing masks aren't they?
    Plus if you were watching CNN you'd have seen them comment on it too.

I am watching CNN. There’s plenty of crowds bunched up together. Dress it up all you want but it’s irresponsible and there’d be moral outrage if these were pictures of republicans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean it’s great joe Biden is the next US president and he may not have been the perfect candidate and some within his own party held their noses, but he’s the one America needs. But hopefully the historic nature of Kamala Harris becoming the first female VP won’t be lost. So I mean America went over two centuries having presidents and Vice Presidents who were all white and male. Now in the space of twelve years they will have had a black president and VP. That’s some way to come.

Maybe but it’s unwise and if those were republicans celebrating a Trump win people in here wouldn’t be as understanding.

Once they are wearing masks they could be Jedi’s for all people care because despite what people say a mask isn’t political.

• Advertisement

I am watching CNN. There’s plenty of crowds bunched up together. Dress it up all you want but it’s irresponsible and there’d be moral outrage if these were pictures of republicans.

Who’s dressing it up ? Was there a massive spike in covid cases after the protests over the summer where the vast majority of people in those crowds were wearing masks ? If there was I didn’t hear about it.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Once they are wearing masks they could be Jedi’s for all people care because despite what people say a mask isn’t political.

They are not all wearing masks, I’ve seen plenty without them or wearing them incorrectly.

Some of you are just excusing it because it’s democrats. The response of some
    Of you shows why there are such divides in politics , absolutely no self reflection, the others are always worse then my team....

Well trump rallies aren’t bad in and of themselves. It’s the near complete lack of mask wearing is the issue.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well trump rallies aren’t bad in and of themselves. It’s the near complete lack of mask wearing is the issue.

I totally disagree , The rallies were a joke with or without masks.

They are not all wearing masks, I’ve seen plenty without them or wearing them incorrectly.

Some of you are just excusing it because it’s democrats. The response of some
    Of you shows why there are such divides in politics , absolutely no self reflection, the others are always worse then my team....

What excuses ? In a perfect world they shouldn’t be in a crowd but if they are the advice is to wear a mask. Is it perfect compliance ? No but it’s better than a trump rally.

Oh for Christ sake. The content said at them was a joke because most of it was utter waffle which made them a joke. Just to be very clear here I’m not a trump fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Hurrache wrote: »
    C',Mon, defund the police? You're still missing the point of what that is.

Yes defund the police. Many of the extreme minded individuals on the left side subscribe to this kind of mentality among other topics.

But that is surely only a tiny percentage of Democrat voters.
    They are vocal though and I think over the coming year it will come up that Biden is more centre than some on the furthest fringes hope for.

But like all things in life. You can't please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Some might view Trump a buffoon, an ignoramus, uncouth, coarse and semi-illiterate but…he does, as far as others are concerned, represent the views of many US citizens. Amongst these citizens are ‘working-class’ working white men and women. These citizens, sometimes referred to as the ‘left behinds’ view their world as disappearing before their eyes because of:
    -Mass immigration
    - Globalisation
    - Indifference towards national traditions
    - Stifling political correctness
    - Identity politics
    - Hyper individualism
    - Growing gap between rich and poor

Many of them have no longer the possibility of well-paid industrial work as the old industries close and, in their place, the gig economy, minimum wages, poor working conditions with weak or no union representation. Many are suffering from intense anxiety about their looming status as a minority group in their own country.

These are decent, hard-working people who are not ‘deplorables’ and should have their legitimate views respected by the political class.

Biden won those voters 52 to 47.

Yes defund the police. Many of the extreme minded individuals on the left side subscribe to this kind of mentality among other topics.

But that is surely only a tiny percentage of Democrat voters.
    They are vocal though and I think over the coming year it will come up that Biden is more centre than some on the furthest fringes hope for.

But like all things in life. You can't please everyone.

Well I think the extreme end of the left wanted to disband the police not just defund them which would a stupid thing to do. Disbanding any police force is just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That really is a huge distinction though... like, with them is unfortunate, without them is disaster.

I think you would see a stark difference in imagery had this been a Trump celebration party, in that masks would be on far fewer people.

I've honestly not seen anyone in these images not wearing a mask. I'm sure there are some, but I would guess less than 1%. As much as the imagery of groups of people may look similar, that distinction is the difference between likely transmission and unlikely transmission.

I agree with you it's unfortunate that it's happening, but since it is happening, at least it's happening the right way.

Advertisement