Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yes defund the police. Many of the extreme minded individuals on the left side subscribe to this kind of mentality among other topics.

But that is surely only a tiny percentage of Democrat voters.
    They are vocal though and I think over the coming year it will come up that Biden is more centre than some on the furthest fringes hope for.

But like all things in life. You can't please everyone.

Give over. Bide never supported defunding the police.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

It is a great day for America and the World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Brian? wrote: »
    Give over. Bide never supported defunding the police.

I know he didn't. His policies are fairly down the centre in fairness.

What I'm saying is that those on the fringe might be expecting him to be something he wont be and they are vocal. It's not him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Raab being Raab still trying to side with Trump
    https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/1325134136798015488?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Biden won those voters 52 to 47.
    Biden is seen as a traditional Democrat and i'm happy he won the Presidency. He is the right man to connect with the American white working class. However, the Democratic party are slowly moving away from their roots. Maybe it's a reflection of changing US demographics but this group of people do not deserve to be labelled out of touch traditionalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,619 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What I'm saying is that those on the fringe might be expecting him to be something he wont be and they are vocal. It's not him.

Do Republicans do dumb things because those on the fringe (Gun nuts/Militias) ask for stupid things?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m delighted Trump lost, probably one of the most satisfying thing of 2020.

But these pictures of Philadelphia on CNN are kind of a bit surprising. The democrats are supposed to be all about being safe during COVID. I’m not complaining , it shows how relieved people are that Trump lost but if these were republicans celebrating a Trump win there would be uproar. Also shows how we will all interpret the same actions of different people depending on what we support.

It's the difference between a totally spontaneous gathering where 99% of people are wearing masks, and a rally organised by Trump where nobody wears masks.

I think they should avoid congregating, or if they have to then do it with distancing, and I think it's silly they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That really is a huge distinction though... like, with them is unfortunate, without them is disaster.

I think you would see a stark difference in imagery had this been a Trump celebration party, in that masks would be on far fewer people.

I've honestly not seen anyone in these images not wearing a mask. I'm sure there are some, but I would guess less than 1%. As much as the imagery of groups of people may look similar, that distinction is the difference between likely transmission and unlikely transmission.

I agree with you it's unfortunate that it's happening, but since it is happening, at least it's happening the right way.

I don’t fully agree that’s it an awful lot different but I do agree it’s unfortunate that it’s happening. The saddest thing is that this is a great day and this is how I’m interpreting these celebrations. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t fully agree that’s it an awful lot different but I do agree it’s unfortunate that it’s happening. The saddest thing is that this is a great day and this is how I’m interpreting these celebrations. :o

I mean, this is just science... it's fairly firmly established that it does makea huge difference. Especially in addition to being outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That really is a huge distinction though... like, with them is unfortunate, without them is disaster.

I think you would see a stark difference in imagery had this been a Trump celebration party, in that masks would be on far fewer people.

I've honestly not seen anyone in these images not wearing a mask. I'm sure there are some, but I would guess less than 1%. As much as the imagery of groups of people may look similar, that distinction is the difference between likely transmission and unlikely transmission.

I agree with you it's unfortunate that it's happening, but since it is happening, at least it's happening the right way.

It really is shocking. I mentioned it on the other thread, I don't care if people rally outside either Trump or Biden supporters. But it's so disengenuous to claim it has been such a grave issue and that Trump's rallies were killing people while once Biden get's in it instantly becomes okay. If it's acceptable to be around each other in massive crowds with masks, why the hell isn't the whole world opening up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Oh yeah. He's got fully autonomy. He made these decisions himself. It's not often you see someone fall from so high though.

He didn't just fall though! He jumped!

They aren’t, he set his stall out early.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So people are caught up with a spontaneous celebration of joy and relief. That's the issue now is it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And here's me thinking "we had an election, a winner seems to have come from it, and the country continues to tick along". Maybe I'm getting blasee after decades of sequential incidents of "the most important/significant/critical election in American history".

That he was elected as senator in 1972 is half-damning. Credit to his service and appeal, but that's five decades of not relating to the non-poilitical class?

Interesting vote-getting technique at a local purveyor of fine firearms. Wear your "i voted" sticker, get $100 off an AR, $30 off a pistol, 10% off a bolt action or $50 off an AK. I'll bear that in mind in a couple of years. Shame no discount on shotguns.

Anyway, I guess the next important event is January and those run-offs for the senate.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Here come the congratulatory calls!!!!!!!

Trump will feel like a teenager with someone walking off with his prom date lol

"Wait wait! You can't do that!!!"

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1325121342568505346?s=19

I'm looking forward to the ones from Putin and Merkel... For entirely different reasons...

Had a parcel to collect maybe? Thought he might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Final parcel of goodies from Moscow, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And here's me thinking "we had an election, a winner seems to have come from it, and the country continues to tick along". Maybe I'm getting blasee after decades of sequential incidents of "the most important/significant/critical election in American history".

That he was elected as senator in 1972 is half-damning. Credit to his service and appeal, but that's five decades of not relating to the non-poilitical class?

Interesting vote-getting technique at a local purveyor of fine firearms. Wear your "i voted" sticker, get $100 off an AR, $30 off a pistol, 10% off a bolt action or $50 off an AK. I'll bear that in mind in a couple of years. Shame no discount on shotguns.

Anyway, I guess the next important event is January and those run-offs for the senate.

This reads as bitter ?

Maybe I'm taking it up wrong but definitely appears bitter ?

I recall a president slating the armed forces, slating their dead, slating the deads families and calling anyone caught a loser. Sure would be the guy that I'd defend if i was a member. He sounds tip top class...

Oh and taking zero action or saying anything about an enemy putting bounties on my men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,781 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Which reminds me has Trump published any policies yet? Beside 4 more years.

It's incredible that we had a presidential candidate run without any policy documents in sight, we have become so desensitised by his crazy carry on

Ya he also had "lock her up"

They aren’t, he set his stall out early.

Time will tell.

Time will tell.

Time has told. Biden made zero promises about the green new deal or defunding the police or Medicare for all. They weren’t his policies and he’s now POTUS.

People voted for Joe Biden and his policies, he’s beholden to no one. You can’t say “time will tell” in an attempt to appear clever, there’s no evidence for your speculation.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

My last evening in John King’s company. I’m feeling nostalgic already. See you in 2022 John.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,085 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is this type of activity legal?

If Starbucks gave hipsters free coffee for voting Fox News would melt down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,781 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Time has told. Biden made zero promises about the green new deal or defunding the police or Medicare for all. They weren’t his policies and he’s now POTUS.

People voted for Joe Biden and his policies, he’s beholden to no one. You can’t say “time will tell” in an attempt to appear clever, there’s no evidence for your speculation.

" no evidence for your speculation" is a term that Trump fans need to get used to.
    I love how the attacks are starting and acting like we were all screaming about Biden as a messiah despite the fact most of us here are pretty lukewarm on Biden and happy to admit it but just see him as better than Trump. The people on here supporting Biden are not the indoctrinated loons that the Trump fans are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I can't help but wish Biden was even 10 years younger. The stress of this campaign must have been enormous. I hope he's looking after himself! And that he takes a few days off between now and January.

I'm talking about the radical fringes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/what-will-biden-s-plan-to-bring-investment-back-to-us-mean-for-ireland-1.4401099?mode=amp

Worth remembering that Biden campaigned on bringing home overseas giants who manufacture abroad and then sell to Us markets. Trump of course had the same policy but wasn't successful.

Will be interesting to see how committed he is to potentially upsetting Ireland's golden goose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Well, you see, the radical fringes are never happy, that's why they are on the fringe and considered radical.

trump gave it a good go don't get me wrong but even he wasn't radical enough for his own radical fringes. It's not big news \0/

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I mean, this is just science... it's fairly firmly established that it does makea huge difference. Especially in addition to being outside.

I’m not disputing that wearing masks is no better then not wearing masks. I was on the COVID thread at the start of February following it extensively, so I understand more then most the importance of masks and measures to reduce the spread.

Any sort of mass crowd gatherings in a country whose numbers are up there with the worst in the world, is bad for the virus spread whether you are wearing a mask or not.

I know you are. They only have influence in your head.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Giuliani ranting and raving on Sky News. He sounds completely deranged. Why are they even airing this complete drivel. It's an insult to their viewers and I hope that Trump's loss motivates the media to be far more fact-driven and cut off people who tell complete lies to gullible idiots.

Advertisement