Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

It's fantastic to see this man's presidency ripped from him. He has treated the populous of the US as a whole with distain and viewed the presidency as something for HIM.

It's over, it's done - Legacy? Single handedly presided over the worst volume in deaths in the United States since WWII on its home turf and actively engaged in conspiracy’s that killed many more American's than ever should have. He actively exploited racial divide to heat up a base and partook in it.

The man is disgusting he has never held credibility, a liar and racist to his core.

The challenge for Biden is immense, Health and COVID containment, the economy and ultimately a divide Trump promoted and the GOP cheerleaded. I pray, in the Senate run-off's Dem's take control, they have the House and the Presidency.

This brought a serious smile to my face.

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1325146638835306502?s=20

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/what-will-biden-s-plan-to-bring-investment-back-to-us-mean-for-ireland-1.4401099?mode=amp

Worth remembering that Biden campaigned on bringing home overseas giants who manufacture abroad and then sell to Us markets. Trump of course had the same policy but wasn't successful.

Will be interesting to see how committed he is to potentially upsetting Ireland's golden goose.

What jobs do you think will leave Ireland to go to the US?

I know the answer

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Brian? wrote: »
    What jobs do you think will leave Ireland to go to the US?

I know the answer

These are Bidens campaign policies and promises. If you are already writing him off that's your opinion

Like I said it will be interesting to see how committed he is to these particular issues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Biden fans clutching to the idea that he might still win this.

Cmon people it’s over. Trump has done it again and you know it.
    This election is over he has done it again.

Some great posts earlier in this thread on the night of the count :pac:

Brilliant result. What a relief to be rid of that lying arsehole Trump. A bit of good news at last for 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

These are Bidens campaign policies and promises. If you are already writing him off that's your opinion

Like I said it will be interesting to see how committed he is to these particular issues

He'll probably have enough on his hands in other areas tbh. A one term president who has to deal with a pandemic and a tanking economy will do well enough to try and climb out of the hole the incumbent will be leaving for him, and then to have to battle that archaic Mitch in the senate. Only so much one can do I'm afraid, I would doubt he will get through every one of his policy aspirations, do you know a president who has? Sure we might get lucky and he might be out of office before he manages to get down the list to taking all of the jobs back by some magic.

Hell, maybe he just lied to his voters to get himself what he wanted - could make him more appealing to trump fans who need a new politician to latch on to?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What jobs do you think will leave Ireland? You were the one who brought it up.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

He'll probably have enough on his hands in other areas tbh. A one term president who has to deal with a pandemic and a tanking economy will do well enough to try and climb out of the hole the incumbent will be leaving for him, and then to have to battle that archaic Mitch in the senate. Only so much one can do I'm afraid, I would doubt he will get through every one of his policy aspirations, do you know a president who has? Sure we might get lucky and he might be out of office before he manages to get down the list to taking all of the jobs back by some magic.

Very true. He has an unenviable task ahead of him. And one term of course. There would be bi partisan support for attempting to lure the companies home though and at a time of a tanking economy like you mentioned it could potentially mean high paying jobs and much needed injection of corporation taxes.

If he could pull it off it would benefit both Republican and Democrat voters, cities and states and the economy.

But there might not be time and there are other more pressing issues for sure

Brian? wrote: »
    What jobs do you think will leave Ireland? You were the one who brought it up.

Iv no interest in speculating which jobs. That's not the foundation of my post.

These are the campaign policies of the new president of the United states. I'm just trying to discuss them. They are part of his plans.

Very true. He has an unenviable task ahead of him. And one term of course. There would be bi partisan support for attempting to lure the companies home though and at a time of a tanking economy like you mentioned it could potentially mean high paying jobs and much needed injection of corporation taxes.

If he could pull it off it would benefit both Republican and Democrat voters, cities and states and the economy.

But there might not be time and there are other more pressing issues for sure

No there wouldn't.
    Firstly because the GOP are about free markets and profit.
    Secondly because the GOP have no interest is supporting anything the other party want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Also does anyone else find it really odd and worrying that it's 22 degrees in NYC, Phildelphia, DC etc- in November.

Get back in Paris Agreement ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Far left want to defund the police! That statement makes zero sense.

Every communist nation last 100 years have all been police states...

Biden is seen as a traditional Democrat and i'm happy he won the Presidency. He is the right man to connect with the American white working class. However, the Democratic party are slowly moving away from their roots. Maybe it's a reflection of changing US demographics but this group of people do not deserve to be labelled out of touch traditionalists.

Democrats are not. This is lies that Republicans and right wing media (and many msn are getting behind) would have you believe. Its been going on 40 years now and they have managed to convince some folk for sure.

Republicans might continually say 'Democrats no longer care about working class but we do' but you only have to look at both parties voting records to see only one care about the ordinary working folk https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/2pwhvt/the_differences_between_the_democratic_party_and/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

No there wouldn't.
    Firstly because the GOP are about free markets and profit.
    Secondly because the GOP have no interest is supporting anything the other party want to do.

Iv fact checked my own comment that you highlighted. There doesn't seem to be unified GOP support to bring home the multinational. It appears it was a Trump policy and also a Biden policy.

Biden will offer a tax credit to companies who "come home"

https://www.ft.com/content/3b44ca93-e17e-4134-b96d-f44b93e1acaa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I thought biden was going to up tax rate and i doubt dems will go after two of his biggest donors pharma and tech. It wouldn't help stocks so politicians won't be in favour of it.

I thought biden was going to up tax rate and i doubt dems will go after two of his biggest donors pharma and tech. It wouldn't help stocks so politicians won't be in favour of it.

I'm just quoting his policies and promises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Shelga wrote: »
    Also does anyone else find it really odd and worrying that it's 22 degrees in NYC, Phildelphia, DC etc- in November.

Get back in Paris Agreement ASAP.
    Biden has already said he will be rejoining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Iv no interest in speculating which jobs. That's not the foundation of my post.

These are the campaign policies of the new president of the United states. I'm just trying to discuss them. They are part of his plans.

I'm not sure it's really relevent to the types of US corporation jobs that are in Ireland though...

I think a lot of the jobs he wants to bring back are those that are more being outsources for cost-cutting. Less than 10% of US clothing sold in the US, by US companies, are made in the US. Same goes for manufacturing of parts, where they're designed in the US, outsourced for manufacturing, and reimported to the US for assembly or sale.

The bulk of jobs in Ireland by contrast are logistical, taking place in the European Headquarters of those companies, where you need people on the ground within the market - or manufacturing jobs like at Apple, where they're manufacturing for sale within the European market. Or pharma manufacturing, where obviously it's best practice to have hubs around the world for consistent distribution of vital medications.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

And here's me thinking "we had an election, a winner seems to have come from it, and the country continues to tick along". Maybe I'm getting blasee after decades of sequential incidents of "the most important/significant/critical election in American history".

In fairness, it's pretty clear you're speaking from a privileged position here as you're an Irish immigrant living in the US, which suggests you're on a decent salary and I'd assume you're a white male.

So, of course you'd be blasé about the outcome! I'm not trying to attack here, I just genuinely mean that you're in the demographic that is always least effected by political winds.

Even here in Ireland, we're more affected by US politics than someone white and middle class living in the US!
    That he was elected as senator in 1972 is half-damning. Credit to his service and appeal, but that's five decades of not relating to the non-poilitical class?

I'm not sure I follow? He was senator from 1973 until he became Vice President - that suggests to me that he's able to relate just fine to the people of Delaware. His previous runs for President ended in the primaries, which generally do not attract the "non-political class" to vote.

So 2008, 2012, and 2020 are the only times he's been seeking election from the national non-political class, and he's 3 for 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I make it that Wisconsin is currently the Tipping Point state (coincidentally it was also the TP State in 2016). However, the remainder of the votes will likely shift the ordering about so there's a fair bit yet to go until we can say for certain:

G1r5e62.png

If I was responsible for running the primaries I would have these states as the first ones in the calendar rather then Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

shocksy wrote: »
    The betting is moving again in Trumps favour.

Trump will get over the line and watching the dems cry for the next 4 years will be a joy to watch.

Some absolute gold to be found in these posts. Gold.

So, what time will the President elect be speaking tonight?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Take the betting stuff to the gambling forum please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Some absolute gold to be found in these posts. Gold.

So, what time will the President elect be speaking tonight?

1am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Trump supporters on Twitter really turning on Fox News now. Calling it the Judas channel, etc.
    Strange to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Feels like hope has returned to the world, going to be a nice to see a president who has a vocabulary greater than a 6 year old.

Can see Trump slink off and move to Russia.

Hopefully the world will forget about him, let him fall in to obscurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,569 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That is a great sign on CNN at the moment

"We grabbed him by the ballots"

As far as the Paris Climate accord goes, can Biden at the very least make it so that a future president alone can't take them out again without Congress etc. going with it?
    Once the next fews days/weeks of relief pass the Realpolitik of being able to rely on the US going forward will return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Feels like hope has returned to the world, going to be a nice to see a president who has a vocabulary greater than a 6 year old.

Can see Trump slink off and move to Russia.

Hopefully the world will forget about him, let him fall in to obscurity.

And hopefully the republicans cut all ties with him as well , I can see a lot of them distancing themselves from him now and wanting to regroup.
    You will still have the hard core who will stay by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm glad Biden won. An early faller in the democrat race (name escapes me)put it best in proclaiming as a selling point that you wouldn't see him every day if he got elected.

One thing that astounds me in one way but not really in another, is how self inflicted Trump's coronavirus damage was. He chose, and continues to adopt the most extreme position regarding the virus; to just do nothing whatsoever, claim every few days that they've rounded a corner and it's going away, and has actually undermined and criticised the public health authorities' efforts to combat it.

His base lap this up, citing the economy, freedom etc. but it can only have contributed to the loss of some more moderate voters who would otherwise have voted for him. But he is effectively a God to millions of Americans. They change their beliefs to align with what he does, and he can do no wrong. Their driving force is their hatred for the portion of of America they see as liberals/woke/leftists etc. and Trump is the antithesis of that, so they love him.

I can't help but feel that a slightly more moderate or proactive stance from Trump on coronavirus wouldn't have been so much tolerated as embraced by his base. He can do no wrong after all. It needn't have been total lockdown, but anything other than the total dereliction of duty that they got would probably have tipped a lot of moderates his way thinking "Well, the economy is doing OK, and at least he's trying to fight the virus" and voted for him. He would have lost no votes with his base, but gained many more moderates.

But instead all they got was a blanket denial that the virus even mattered, and few token efforts to combat it in ineffective ways. It wasn't the only reason for his loss, but it must have contributed.

As far as the Paris Climate accord goes, can Biden at the very least make it so that a future president alone can't take them out again without Congress etc. going with it?
    Once the next fews days/weeks of relief pass the Realpolitik of being able to rely on the US going forward will return.

If the Democrats don't win those 2 races in Georgia in January it'll be difficult for Biden to do anything major on climate change legislation. He can rejoin the Paris Climate Change agreement but when it comes to passing new laws or spending major money he'll need Congress to play ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And in a shock to no one CNN are reporting that president trump has not conceded or phoned joe Biden. Now it’s not a requirement to make a concession phone call, but it does seem to be a courtesy that is extended but as we know president trump isn’t known for his adherence to norms and customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

So I think the most important thing in terms of climate politics will not be what Biden does, but what he doesn't do.

America may be a bunch of separate states, but they are a single consumer market. That means that products, like cars, created for any state have to comply with regulations for all states (unless they want to go to a lot of expense having separate production lines for different regulation levels).

And while on a federal level the US has been rolling back emission standards and stuff like that, states like California have been pressing on and progressing anyway. And that means that they're essentially setting the standards for the entire country.

The problem under Trump was that he was making legal challenges to try and prevent California from doing so: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/climate/trump-california-emissions-waiver.html

Now with Biden in the White House, he can reverse what Trump has done, he can reset EPA standards, he can let California set their own stronger standards (and therefore not have to deal with the Senate for federal regulation) which will ripple outwards.

Advertisement