Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If the Democrats don't win those 2 races in Georgia in January it'll be difficult for Biden to do anything major on climate change legislation. He can rejoin the Paris Climate Change agreement but when it comes to passing new laws or spending major money he'll need Congress to play ball.

Well it’ll be easier if they can win those two seats but it was said on MSNBC earlier that there is an interview from 2016 from Mitch McConnell where he says that he was able to work with joe Biden during the Obama presidency to get things done. So we will have to see and given his years in Washington and the senate, if joe Biden can’t work with republicans and try to get things done then Washington really is broken as many Americans seem to claim.

Edit: I just checked the current make up of the senate and one one democratic senator comes close to him as when he first was elected to the senate and that’s Patrick Leahy of Vermont.

Edit:2 so I’ve gone through all 538 members of the 116th congress and one person was there before joe Biden got to the senate.

If the Democrats don't win those 2 races in Georgia in January it'll be difficult for Biden to do anything major on climate change legislation. He can rejoin the Paris Climate Change agreement but when it comes to passing new laws or spending major money he'll need Congress to play ball.

I don't see the Dems winning either of those seats.
    I still find it so strange that Biden could win Georgia but lose Ohio and for PA to be so close. I'll be interested to see the state-swings from 2016 to this year and if Biden did comparatively better in the GOP strongholds in the South. If so it would make me think that solid GOP people down there rejected Trump while further North his voters turned out for him rather than the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Is there any word on how Arizona count is going or when more results are expected there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, it's pretty clear you're speaking from a privileged position here as you're an Irish immigrant living in the US, which suggests you're on a decent salary and I'd assume you're a white male.

So, of course you'd be blasé about the outcome! I'm not trying to attack here, I just genuinely mean that you're in the demographic that is always least effected by political winds.
    To be fair, Manic drove tanks in Afghanistan. That's pretty exposed in the political winds department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I'm just quoting his policies and promises.

Yeah and he will never follow through with it, why go after your biggest donors and powerful lobbying groups like pharma, tech. Sure look at the biden website below and follow the link on the word encouraged. It takes you to an article about Ireland. It means nothing.

https://joebiden.com/supplychains/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭jackboy

As far as the Paris Climate accord goes, can Biden at the very least make it so that a future president alone can't take them out again without Congress etc. going with it?
    Once the next fews days/weeks of relief pass the Realpolitik of being able to rely on the US going forward will return.

That accord was just a PR stunt. It will achieve almost nothing for the environment. He would be better off being honest, stay out of it and try some real action to improve the environment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Not surprisingly John Bolton is laying into Trump.

https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1325188180249767938?s=20

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Ok one less thing to worry about, now back to worrying about Brexit and Covid-19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,938 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Brian? wrote: »
    Not surprisingly John Bolton is laying into Trump.

https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1325188180249767938?s=20

Brave man now.

He had the chance to give evidence at the impeachment trial and chose instead to sell his book.

Another little coward in the GOP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Brave man now.

He had the chance to give evidence at the impeachment trial and chose instead to sell his book.

Another little coward in the GOP.

Completely agree

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

John Bolton causing a deep, sarcastic eye roll. The performative Road to Damascus begins with the GOP and its adherents; I "look forward" to all these declarations that, of course, they always knew Trump was a bad egg ...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Far left want to defund the police! That statement makes zero sense.

Every communist nation last 100 years have all been police states...

Democrats are not. This is lies that Republicans and right wing media (and many msn are getting behind) would have you believe. Its been going on 40 years now and they have managed to convince some folk for sure.

Republicans might continually say 'Democrats no longer care about working class but we do' but you only have to look at both parties voting records to see only one care about the ordinary working folk https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/2pwhvt/the_differences_between_the_democratic_party_and/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body
    The Democrats might view themselves as the ‘party of the people’ but millions of the white working class voted for Trump. Many believe that the Democratic Party has lost touch with their values. Just because they voted for Trump and believe in ‘America First’ shouldn’t mean that they are viewed as ‘deplorables’. Their priorities include decent jobs, trade union representation, universal health insurance, education and a welfare safety net. I think it's quite possible that Trump might well have won if it hadn't had Biden as the opposing Democrat. The Democrats need to get their message out there that they understand and respect the concerns of their natural support base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's really relevent to the types of US corporation jobs that are in Ireland though...

I think a lot of the jobs he wants to bring back are those that are more being outsources for cost-cutting. Less than 10% of US clothing sold in the US, by US companies, are made in the US. Same goes for manufacturing of parts, where they're designed in the US, outsourced for manufacturing, and reimported to the US for assembly or sale.

The bulk of jobs in Ireland by contrast are logistical, taking place in the European Headquarters of those companies, where you need people on the ground within the market - or manufacturing jobs like at Apple, where they're manufacturing for sale within the European market. Or pharma manufacturing, where obviously it's best practice to have hubs around the world for consistent distribution of vital medications.

That's a fair point. He might be focusing on outsourcing to cut costs companies. It would make more sense for sure.

So not conceding then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I don't think I've laughed at anything more this year than the Trump campaign booking a landscaping company in a sh*ithole neighborhood on the outskirts of Philly for Rudy's press conference when they meant to book the Four Seasons hotel and just went with it.

It could be right out of Veep

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I don't think I've laughed at anything more this year than the Trump campaign booking a landscaping company in a sh*ithole neighborhood on the outskirts of Philly for Rudy's press conference when they meant to book the Four Seasons hotel and just went with it.

It could be right out of Veep

Don't forget the part that it was beside a shop called "Fantasy Island Adult Books" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So not conceding then?

At what stage do Twitter suspend his account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

At what stage do Twitter suspend his account?

Not until he's no longer president, they're official records untill then.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Don't dump memes here please.

Don't forget the part that it was beside a shop called "Fantasy Island Adult Books" :D
    And across the road from a crematorium. So many metaphors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

They don't even have a website :mad:

(had to wait for the wife to leave the room before I checked)

I think Marco Rubio was posting here earlier. We are not worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

We've seen a ton of evidence that his supporters do not critically analyze even his most outlandish statements. From mindlessly regurgitating his talking points in Vox-Pops to pestering their doctors and pharmacists for hydroxy-choloroquine for example.

I have no doubt that if he says the election has been stolen that hundreds of thousands of his supporters will believe it. Some fraction of those will, no doubt, decide to take matters into their own hands. How bad it gets is anyone's guess.

I don't think it matters what he does or says, his followers will look beyond it. They've done it for four years.

What I find truly vile is that he has the audacity to try and ruin this moment for Biden by throwing around baseless lies.

How he even got one person to vote for him is staggering, let alone millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭letowski

While its good for the Democrats to enjoy getting their guy in the White House, they cannot over look the fact that they had many losses this week across America.

Leaving aside the presidential race which Biden one relatively narrowly, Trump made gains across many minority groups, especially in Democratic stronghold like Miami-Dade and the Rio Grande Valley. Youngstown in eastern Ohio was one by Trump, only 8 years ago Obama was winning there by +27 points. Biden made gains among the white male vote, but the GOP will back themselves to win that back in 2024 and potentially hold the Trump minority numbers with a less racist president.

In the senate races, the Democrats missed a massive opportunity to take control. Maybe it was the faulty polls again, but losing in Maine, Iowa and North Carolina was most disappointing. Questions must be asked about the decision to pump $200m into long shot senate races in Kentucky and South Carolina.

In the House, the GOP made huge gains leaving the Democrats with its slimmest majority in twenty years. Make no mistake, the House will be up for grabs in 2022, and the Dems will have to pull themselves together. The Dems did not even win one state legislator position this week either.

I think leadership at the top isn't working. The GOP will look to charter a course of holding the senate, winning the House in 2022 and go for the trifecta in 2024 against an 82 year old incumbent president (potentially). Fair enough, the GOP are too in an internal crisis with what direction they need to take in a post Trump era, but leaders at the top will have reason for optimism. As I've said, the Democratic party should enjoy today, but there needs to be a full review of where they are going as a political party in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,781 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Democrats might view themselves as the ‘party of the people’ but millions of the white working class voted for Trump. Many believe that the Democratic Party has lost touch with their values. Just because they voted for Trump and believe in ‘America First’ shouldn’t mean that they are viewed as ‘deplorables’. Their priorities include decent jobs, trade union representation, universal health insurance, education and a welfare safety net. I think it's quite possible that Trump might well have won if it hadn't had Biden as the opposing Democrat. The Democrats need to get their message out there that they understand and respect the concerns of their natural support base.

Millions of white working class people voted for Biden too so whats your point.If "their priorities include decent jobs, trade union representation, universal health insurance, education and a welfare safety net" and they voted Trump and the Reps. then they are idiots.

Im a white working class man from a poor neighbourhood and I am sick to death of rick fools like Trump and Farage using me to promote racism or paint all white working class people as the "Workington man" who just want closed borders and a plain life down the pub and the mines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

letowski wrote: »
    While its good for the Democrats to enjoy getting their guy in the White House, they cannot over look the fact that they had many losses this week across America.

Leaving aside the presidential race which Biden one relatively narrowly, Trump made gains across many minority groups, especially in Democratic stronghold like Miami-Dade and the Rio Grande Valley. Youngstown in eastern Ohio was one by Trump, only 8 years ago Obama was winning there by +27 points. Biden made gains among the white male vote, but the GOP will back themselves to win that back in 2024 and potentially hold the Trump minority numbers with a less racist president.

In the senate races, the Democrats missed a massive opportunity to take control. Maybe it was the faulty polls again, but losing in Maine, Iowa and North Carolina was most disappointing. Questions must be asked about the decision to pump $200m into long shot senate races in Kentucky and South Carolina.

In the House, the GOP made huge gains leaving the Democrats with its slimmest majority in twenty years. Make no mistake, the House will be up for grabs in 2022, and the Dems will have to pull themselves together. The Dems did not even win one state legislator position this week either.

I think leadership at the top isn't working. The GOP will look to charter a course of holding the senate, winning the House in 2022 and go for the trifecta in 2024 against an 82 year old incumbent president (potentially). Fair enough, the GOP are too in an internal crisis with what direction they need to take in a post Trump era, but leaders at the top will have reason for optimism. As I've said, the Democratic party should enjoy today, but there needs to be a full review of where they are going as a political party in the US.

Trump is a goner, accept that and move on

letowski wrote: »

Yeah the presidency win while obviously good for Biden and democrats does kind of gloss over the lack lustre performance in the congressional elections. As you say the house is very much in play and the democrats have two years to get their house(pun not intended) in order and be ready. If they fail to do that then they deserve to lose. The senate is still technically in play for the democrats with the two Georgia seats, which is a big uphill battle but it’s possible.

The GOP have their own problems to deal with in 2021 because the question will have to be asked, if the trump vote and GOP vote are the same because I don't think they are one and same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭letowski

I'm absolutely delighted, I'm a leftie that concerned about the gain the GOP made in the House this week and in deep blue districts in the presidential race. Did you actually read my post?

Well that post wasn’t wrong. It made some good points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

In fairness he has solid points though, Dem's do need to look at where they fell down, Trump is gone but his enablers are still around and Biden may be limited at least for the first half of his term in what he can do if they cant take the senate. They also had some setbacks on the House of Representatives though still maintained control. 2022 would be the next chance Biden would have to retake the Senate while trying to hold the house of representatives and he would need this in order to be able to govern far more effectively rather than let Mitch McConnell block and stall things for the next few years.

That being said right now Joe might still have a chance Georgia has 2 runoff senate elections that if the Dem's win they'd be able to make 50 seats and with the Presidency Kamala becomes the tiebreaker meaning they win. They normally would have a tough run being a republican state normally but that woman who managed to sign up 800k voters in 2 years could yet change things for them.

That being said right now there's nothing like looking at all the posts and revelling in the celebration that President Troll is getting his long over due comeuppance for all the shít hes caused. Pure 2020 treatment couldnt have happened to a nice guy! :P

Advertisement