Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

I'm glad Biden won, but I will Miss Donny for his entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Van Jones on CNN said, 'maybe 4 years ago we needed someone to shake up the soda bottle'.
    Talking about the US getting the right president at the right time.

Very happy here with Joe Biden's election success.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

breezy1985 wrote: »
    So if people voted for Trump because they believe that like them he is racist or sexist would that be a good reason. Should I then respect them and not think them idiots?

And if they voted for the billionaire who was against Obamacare from day one because he was the man who would look out for the working man then why not call them fools?
    Have you read Cruel Summers's post (#5319). Covers the same general area but much better articulated. Maybe because the poster is writing from first hand experience. In relation to your particular points - you're stereotyping all who voted for Trump. Not everyone who voted for Trump is 'racist and sexist'. Secondly, people have many reasons for voting in a particular way and maybe people voted for Trump because they believed that the Democrats were not listening to their fears. These US citizens are the Democrats natural base. They should not be vilified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I'm kind of lost here, Biden making a victory speech but Trump saying it isn't over?

Will Trump concede eventually and make a speech or will they have to force him out of office? When does he have to be 'out' technically?

Silly questions I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lovely to see families in Delaware, esp young girls. A day of change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

I'm kind of lost here, Biden making a victory speech but Trump saying it isn't over?

Will Trump concede eventually and make a speech or will they have to force him out of office? When does he have to be 'out' technically?

Silly questions I know.

A concession is not necessary. It has no systemic significance. It's merely a partisan gesture of acknowledging the other side won. It's akin to a metaphorical handshake after a sporting contest. Trump will never concede. The counting will finish and mid December the electoral college will cast their votes. The suits will ultimately amount to nothing and come noon on the 20th January he is no longer the President. I'm not sure if he has ever actually read the US Constitution but I'm sure someone in the inner circle will explain the machinations of it all to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    Lovely to see families in Delaware, esp young girls. A day of change.

And masks to beat the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

DM_2092 wrote: »
    I'm glad Biden won, but I will Miss Donny for his entertainment value.

I will not. And I look forward to him not being on Twitter when he eventually shoots himself in the foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

valoren wrote: »
    A concession is not necessary. It has no systemic significance. It's merely a partisan gesture of acknowledging the other side won. It's akin to a metaphorical handshake after a sporting contest. Trump will never concede. The counting will finish and mid December the electoral college will cast their votes. The suits will ultimately amount to nothing and come noon on the 21st January he is no longer the President. I'm not sure if he has ever actually read the US Constitution but I'm sure someone in the inner circle will explain the machinations of it all to him.

That pretty much explains it, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I will not. And I look forward to him not being on Twitter when he eventually shoots himself in the foot.

Yeah come 12:01pm on January 20th, 2021 the deference that Twitter have given the sitting American president will not apply so he can’t just rant like a mad man and say what he likes because unlike from 2017 to 2021 they won’t be protected.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if he has ever actually read the US Constitution

I doubt he can even spell it.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah come 12:01pm on January 20th, 2021 the deference that Twitter have given the sitting American president will not apply so he can’t just rant like a mad man and say what he likes because unlike from 2017 to 2021 they won’t be protected.

Yep. I'd say it'll follow the Katie Hopkins trajectory. Madness, incendiary nonsense and bullshït for a period before escalating and him being turfed off. And good riddance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    This reads as bitter ?

Maybe I'm taking it up wrong but definitely appears bitter ?

I recall a president slating the armed forces, slating their dead, slating the deads families and calling anyone caught a loser. Sure would be the guy that I'd defend if i was a member. He sounds tip top class...

Oh and taking zero action or saying anything about an enemy putting bounties on my men.

No, not bitter at all. Remember, I voted for the guy who won.

(And I've had a bounty on my head before. Apparently I was only worth about $20USD to an Iraqi.)

It's the hyperbole which I'm commenting upon. Go back four years, see what I was posting. Lots of folks are going "Oh my God, worst thing ever", and I'm saying "Meh. It's not that bad, he's limited by what Congress sends him."

My faith in the US system of government has been described on here as naive or misguided, and likely a couple other terms I cannot recall. Well, it goes both ways. Trump wins, I say "Well, that's the way the country works". Biden wins, I say "Well, that's the way the country works". Big deal. Bush Jr was elected to the horror of many, the US kept ticking over, regardless of how evil, idiotic, draft-dodging etc it was claimed he was. Obama was elected, most significant president ever, it proved that racism was a thing of the past, a milestone in US evolution. Well, we know how well that worked out.

Well, good for Biden. It'll be nice to have someone Presidential in the White House again, and I wish him luck. The man isn't the second coming of Christ and, last I checked, the US seems to have survived four years of Trump, who didn't do very much that Congress didn't send to him to sign. I strongly suspect it would have survived eight years as well.

At this rate, the "Battle for the Soul of the Country" is going to be succeeded by "The battle for the Heart and Soul both of the Country", and whatever else after that. It just keeps getting more and more dramatic. Meanwhile, the US system of government remains intact, as it has for the last century and a half.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Is this type of activity legal?

Sure, why wouldn't it be? It's lower-key than going door to door getting folks to sign up to vote in (insert political demographic of choice here). It just encourages people to vote. Is that a bad thing?
    If Starbucks gave hipsters free coffee for voting Fox News would melt down.

If you had to be a hipster to have the free coffee, maybe.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    To be fair, Manic drove tanks in Afghanistan. That's pretty exposed in the political winds department.

I drove tanks in Iraq. In Afghanistan, I rode in a HMMWV or MRAP. :)

And, yes, it does mean that I am at least affected by foreign policy. On the other hand, it doesn't mean I'm always going to vote for the person who won't send me to war. There are times that going overseas is done for meritorious reasons, one has to trust in the civil leadership that this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Good to some some mail in voters show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,938 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

No, not bitter at all. Remember, I voted for the guy who won.

(And I've had a bounty on my head before. Apparently I was only worth about $20USD to an Iraqi.)

It's the hyperbole which I'm commenting upon. Go back four years, see what I was posting. Lots of folks are going "Oh my God, worst thing ever", and I'm saying "Meh. It's not that bad, he's limited by what Congress sends him."

My faith in the US system of government has been described on here as naive or misguided, and likely a couple other terms I cannot recall. Well, it goes both ways. Trump wins, I say "Well, that's the way the country works". Biden wins, I say "Well, that's the way the country works". Big deal. Bush Jr was elected to the horror of many, the US kept ticking over, regardless of how evil, idiotic, draft-dodging etc it was claimed he was. Obama was elected, most significant president ever, it proved that racism was a thing of the past. Well, we know how well that worked out.

Well, good for Biden. It'll be nice to have someone Presidential in the White House again, and I wish him luck. The man isn't the second coming of Christ and, last I checked, the US seems to have survived four years of Trump, who didn't do very much that Congress didn't send to him to sign. I strongly suspect it would have survived eight years as well.

At this rate, the "Battle for the Soul of the Country" is going to be succeeded by "The battle for the Heart and Soul both of the Country", and whatever else after that. It just keeps getting more and more dramatic. Meanwhile, the US system of government remains intact, as it has for the last century and a half.

You appear to be downplaying the stresses and strains placed on the system of government.

Yes, it held. But at what cost?

The litany of Trump egregious abuses are too long to list. If it wasn't for astute politics of Pelosi, Trump may have shut down the government for far longer. That was down to her, not the inherent system.

The impeachment process was a debacle. The system failed the people.

The investigation was hamstrung by the system.

Whether you like to admit it or not, Trump got away with far more than he should of. He exposed those "norms" taken for granted.

The OLC memo.

The pardon mechanism.

He stressed tested "the system" and it was exposed for its weaknesses, which should be remedied immediately.

Just because the US survived, it doesn't mean "things are rosy" with the branches government.

Ignore the need for change at your peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Is there going to be a massive covid outbreak after this?

timeToLive wrote: »

Most are wearing masks it seems but there are certainly swathes without.

I would say that unfortunately cases are going to rise significantly after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,938 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

timeToLive wrote: »

At the rate Trump has people infected, apart from the 230,000 dead, they're probably immune.

Anyhoo, Court news in Arizona...

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1325220331758505984?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

To listen to articulate and intelligent statements is so utterly refreshing.

To listen to articulate and intelligent statements is so utterly refreshing.

It really is. The positivity is so nice to hear for a change.

Massive challenges ahead of course but it's so refreshing as you say to have a speech not founded on lies, anger, hate or boasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Aspersions have been cast on his cognitive abilities. I hope to God I have a fraction of his when I reach his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I think we can put the 'Sleepy Joe' moniker to bed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

The world will now be able to trust America again after the Trump debacle. His betrayal of the Kurds was appalling, the Peshmerga lost 10,000 soldiers in the fight against ISIS only to have Trump withdraw USA troops fighting ISIS alongside them to allow the Kurds to be invaded by Turkey.
    It was a disgusting chapter in American history.

It's great that Anthony Fauci will finally get the support, platform and resources he deserves to address and combat the coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think we can put the 'Sleepy Joe' moniker to bed now.

Powerful speech so far - and he ran out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Some speech.

Very confident and assertive.

To me it's like the country saying that's enough of the crap of the last 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

That speech is the difference between someone who reads Seamus Heaney and a previous president who reads Donald Duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭letowski

Great speech by Biden!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,818 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Such a refreshingly excellent speech from what passed for "speeches" before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Great to see the mask wearing message being sent out but they don't seem to have grasped social distancing.

Advertisement