Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

It was like the longest Irish wedding ever here today with the car horns! Great day really as you could feel the relief and the superb weather really added to it.

Uplifting is an apt word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

paul71 wrote: »
    https://joebiden.com/joes-vision/

His entire election manifesto is in there. (Oddly Trump did not have one)

Trump did actually have one.... It was a direct copy and paste job of his 2016 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Only two American presidents have been catholic - JFK and Biden, both of Irish descent.

Maybe the Italian's haven't been sending their best?

Over half the Presidents are Irish American. There has never been Italian American President or latino American President or Asian American or Jewish American President there has 2 German American President and 1 African American. There has been 23 Irish American President

1 President Andrew Jackson Parents from Carrigfergus County Antrim his mothers name was McDonagh
    2 President James Buchannon Father came from Donegal
    3 President Ulysses Grant Family Great grandfather from Ballygawley in Co. Tyrone his name was John Simpson
    4 President James Polk Family from Coleraine County Derry
    5 President Andrew Johnson Grandfather from Mounthill from Co Antrim
    6 President Arthur Family from Dreen in County Antrim
    7 President Cleveland Family from County Antrim
    8 President William McKinley Father came from Ballymoney in County Antrim
    9 President Bejamin Harrisson Both great grandparents from Ulster
    10 President William Taft Family came from County Louth
    11 President Theodore Roosevelt His Mothers family came from Glencoe in County Antrim
    12 President Woodrow Wilson His grandparents came from Strabane in County Tyrone
    13 Harry Truman Has Irish ancestors also
    14 President Lydon Johnson Family came from Ulster
    15 President John Fitzgerald Great grandfather from New Ross County Wexford. Also family from Cavan and Cork.
    16 President Richard Nixon Family from Timahoe in County kildare
    17 President Jimmy Carter Family from County Antrim
    18 President Ronald Reagan Great grandfather from Ballypooreen in County Tippearey. His grandfathers and fathers surname was O'Reagan
    19 & 20 President Geogre Bush Jnr anr Snr Has Irish Ancestors. A famous Irish Ancestor Richard De Clare or also known as Strongbow. Another Irish ancestor is Diarmaid McMurrough.
    21 President Bill Clinton Part of Family can be traced back to County Tyrone
    22 President Barack Obama Three time great Grandfather from.Moneygall in County Offaly
    23 President Joe Biden Great great grandfather Blewitt from Ballina County Mayo and Finnegans from County louth

The county with most Presidents is Antrim
    The only countries American Presidents ancestors and families come from are Ireland, Britian, German( 2), Dutch, French and kenyan.

Many of them are from Ulster. This migration impacted America socially as well. There was huge migration from Ulster, the migration from Ulster in 19th century. They settled in areas like Ohio then moved into areas such as Texas and Mississippi. Famous example of son of these migrats Davy Croket. Many of the new emigats would work in the hills and mines during the day and head to town in the.evening. Their necks were sunburnt and they soon got the nickname "rednecks". They were also known as followers of King William or King Billy so they also got the nickname "hillbillies". They also brought a love of Irish music, Ulster Scots, and this would develop into Country music. So thats were the term redneck and hillbilly comes from.

First ever catholic to run for President was Irish American Al Smith in 1928. His mother was born in Ireland. The next Irish catholic to be run and win was JFK. We think of the Democrats as Irish American. They are but so are many republicans.

Reagan Democrats are Irish Americans. Reagan Democrats were democrats who supported kennedy and Democrats in 60s but moved to Reagan in 80s. Many of Trumps teams are Irish American whose families were Democrats under JFK but became republican under Reagan. Examples are Sean Spicer, Steve Bannon, Kelly Anne Conway, General kelly, General Flynn kaleigh McElaney.

Many of the republicans senators are Irish American eg Mitch McConnell , Bill Cassidy, Susan Collins, John kennedy, Dan Sullivan, Jerry Moran, Pat Toomey. The speaker of the House before Nancy Pelosi was republican Paul Ryan. Paul Ryan has a kilkenny Jersey and hurley in his Office his great grandfather was from kilkenny. The town he grew up in was Janeville nickname was known as home of tbe Irish Mafia because the town was full of Fitzgeralds, Ryans, Cullens.
    The one thing democrats and republican agree on is Ireland.

Irelands link is not just cultural. You could say Ireland is closest thing to 51st state. No countries economy in Western Europe has been transformed more then Ireland, Why? US multinationals. US multinationals have invested more into Ireland then into China, Russia, Brazil and India put together. US multinationals have invested 450 billion dollars into Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sonny678 wrote:
    Irelands link is not just cultural. You could say Ireland is closest thing to 51st state. No countries economy in Western Europe has been transformed more then Ireland, Why? US multinationals. US multinationals have invested more into Ireland then into China, Russia, Brazil and India put together. US multinationals have invested 450 billion dollars into Ireland.

Very true, we could still do with them spreading a little more of the wealth, we helped them to make, around here though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,781 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its be taking a fair few of those Irish ancestors with a pince of salt. Especially any of the ones who cant give specifics or the ones who go back as far as strongbow.

And same goes for the 51st state. Ireland is educated, English speaking and full of tax loopholes which is all those companies care about and Ireland is only special to them as long as they make money off us and I wouldnt be fooled into thinking they care about us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,938 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Good morning folks!

I awake to see that the snide remarks on the day off the election by Trump supporters claiming victory have been updated to bring salty remarks about masks and court judges.

Nice to see his supporters copy his grace in defeat!

Anyhoo, according to two reported sources Jared has tried to get trump to accept it is over.

I'm happy for Trump to drag it out. He looks more and more pathetic on the world stage day by day. It cements his place in history as a coward and a terrible loser. It also embarrasses the GOP more and more as it goes on and on.
    Take your time donny!!!

Also, grifters gonna grift. Trump continues to show contempt for his followers, and they continue not to care.

https://twitter.com/BioTurboNick/status/1325279627636518913?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://joebiden.com/joes-vision/

His entire election manifesto is in there. (Oddly Trump did not have one)
    I don't think that's what faugheen was alluding to, exactly
    Faugheen wrote: »
    A lot of people are going to be mesmerized by this because the Trump campaign set such a low bar for him.

Anyone with any interest in American politics outside of the Trump circus knows what Biden is capable of and what he stands for.
    What is he capable of, what does he stand for, in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its be taking a fair few of those Irish ancestors with a pince of salt. Especially any of the ones who cant give specifics or the ones who go back as far as strongbow.

And same goes for the 51st state. Ireland is educated, English speaking and full of tax loopholes which is all those companies care about and Ireland is only special to them as long as they make money off us and I wouldnt be fooled into thinking they care about us
    Most presidents of Irish extraction would be from Ulster protestant extraction too rather than Irish catholic.

Actually I remember seeing on a tv series about Irish America once with as stat that most Irish American's trace their roots back to Ulster Scots than Irish catholic.

Even Obama's ancestor was a former provost of Trinity College Dublin.

Hardly starving coffin ship stuff that the folklore of much of Irish America is made up of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

I don't think that's what faugheen was alluding to, exactly

What is he capable of, what does he stand for, in your opinion?

I was responding to someone else who seemed to be dismissive of any substance to Biden.

Most presidents of Irish extraction would be from Ulster protestant extraction too rather than Irish catholic.

Actually I remember seeing on a tv series about Irish America once with as stat that most Irish American's trace their roots back to Ulster Scots than Irish catholic.

Even Obama's ancestor was a former provost of Trinity College Dublin.

Hardly starving coffin ship stuff that the folklore of much of Irish America is made up of.

I listened to an interesting documentary about Irish immigrants in the 1800s who left for America for a better life only to get there and face discrimination and exploitation from the same landed protestant Irish the tried escape from.
    There were quite a few high profile Pinkerton's who were upper class Irish and one in particular was involved in creating the myth of the Molly Maguire's to legitimise the brutal attacks on working class Irish union members in Pennsylvania

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

A great doc on YouTube is Scotland and the klan it goes into some details on Ulster Scots and how the division between protestants and Catholics in Scotland and Ireland spilled over into the USA.
    Looking at early US Presidents a lot were came from Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

What are the projected breakdowns for the remaining areas of arizona which are reporting votes? It looks like this could be very close, but it's hard to find up to date analysis for it at the moment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

timeToLive wrote: »
    Is there going to be a massive covid outbreak after this?

Between the amount of voter turnout in election day on the GOP end, the protests, again on the trump supporters end which have not ended yet and of course the jubilant celebrations of Bidens victory I'd say the cases there will shoot up unfortunately.

We even have it here at home sure with a lot of people out and about celebrating in ballina in particular.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

moon2 wrote: »
    What are the projected breakdowns for the remaining areas of arizona which are reporting votes? It looks like this could be very close, but it's hard to find up to date analysis for it at the moment :)
    According to DDHQ, the only areas that are less than 99% in are La Paz (about 6.6k in at 90-99%) and Apache (about 66k and also 90-99%). La Paz is breaking roughly 70/30 Trump and Apache 65/30 Biden. No idea how accurate those figures are, but an indication anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

What age are you? Eight? Still reading fairy stories?

Your childish response says more about you than the op. The days of childish insults and snarky remarks have passed, grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Four Seasons Total Landscaping trending on Twitter, the owners will be forever grateful to the Trump campaign for the publicity.

https://twitter.com/PackASuitcase/status/1325186251247415296

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

signostic wrote: »
    Four Seasons Total Landscaping trending on Twitter, the owners will be forever grateful to the Trump campaign for the publicity.

Saw a comment yesterday: the "Lawn and Order" president :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not only did they book a landscape Company instead of the hotel, but it was next door to a sex shop and across the street from the local crematorium. I’m sure there’s a joke there but I can’t see it.

It seems that Trump tweeted that there would be a lawyers press conference at the Four Seasons Philadelphia at 11:00am. Ten minutes later, that tweet was deleted and a subsequent tweet said the presser would be at the Four Seasons Total Landscaping at 11:30am. Clearly the Four Seasons Hotel either couldn't or wouldn't host the press conference and rather than find another hotel and admit the mistake, they went looking for another 'Four Seasons'. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Looks like the Russian bots are in overdrive today, their new programmed line is
    That’s it! That seals the deal. I’ve been an american citizen for 54 years and in ALL my time of being one I’ve never seen an election this BAD! I’ve had ENOUGH of it! Until you fix this country, I’ll be packing my bags to England where they ACTUALLY know how to run a country!!!

Just look at the sheer number of bots tweeting this:
    https://twitter.com/search?q=%22That%E2%80%99s%20it.%20That%20seals%20the%20deal.%20I%E2%80%99ve%20been%20an%20american%20citizen%20for%2054%20years%22&src=typed_query&f=live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭weemcd

devnull wrote: »
    Looks like the Russian bots are in overdrive today, their new programmed line is

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22That%E2%80%99s%20it.%20That%20seals%20the%20deal.%20I%E2%80%99ve%20been%20an%20american%20citizen%20for%2054%20years%22&src=typed_query&f=live

Oh! I actually saw this the other day, right. That makes a lot of sense actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

I wonder if he’s going to try to turn electoral college voters as alluded to here?

I certainly wouldn’t put it past him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1325169074981142529

devnull wrote: »

The English lads who voted Brexit to save their jobs from the immigints won't be happy to find out they are gonna lose their jobs to automation when all these bots come over

Panrich wrote: »
    I wonder if he’s going to try to turn electoral college voters as alluded to here?

I certainly wouldn’t put it past him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1325169074981142529
    Would need an awful lot of them. Funny note is that Hillary Clinton is one of the electors for NY. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I was responding to someone else who seemed to be dismissive of any substance to Biden.

You didn't know what you were responding to...

What’s the best site to keep an eye on count numbers now that it’s not top story on CNN , any major update since yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

harr wrote: »
    What’s the best site to keep an eye on count numbers now that it’s not top story on CNN , any major update since yesterday?

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

Or just google "us election results" as Google have a built in tracker to their results page for this search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

So who does everyone think will be the next president in 2024, Biden will be 82 then, probably too old to run again, Harris as VP would be the natural successor, that's if she hasn't already become president in the next 4 years if anything happens to Biden. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump goes again. Any other candidates people think will run in 2024.
    Someone who seems to have gotten a huge groundswell of support is AOC, 2024 probably a bit early for her, but, definitely see her running in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,569 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Trump had no dog(s) right? He doesn't seem to be like type capable of any love for human or animals

I think he loved his daughter a bit to much

• Advertisement

Girly Gal wrote: »
    So who does everyone think will be the next president in 2024, Biden will be 82 then, probably too old to run again, Harris as VP would be the natural successor, that's if she hasn't already become president in the next 4 years if anything happens to Biden. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump goes again. Any other candidates people think will run in 2024.
    Someone who seems to have gotten a huge groundswell of support is AOC, 2024 probably a bit early for her, but, definitely see her running in the future.

I think Harris will run , as you said probably a little early for AOC ... not sure if republicans will go with trump again but they will probably throw everything at it.
    I think Biden is a definitely a one term president.

Advertisement