Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

The Lincoln Project announced that they would continue to support the Democrats for the upcoming runoff elections in Georgia. I thought that was odd considering that their motus operandi was chiefly to oust Trump.

Now I suppose they did have a few ads that were bashing the Senate Republicans so if one were to be charitable you could say that they want the modern iteration of the Republican party to be razed to the ground in order that it can be rebuilt again in their preferred image.

I think to be fair that may have more to do with who the 2 Republican candidates are in Purdue and Loeffler. Two utterly corrupt politicians who were very much to the fore in enabling the president over the past few years.

That's just adding a needless extra ;layer.

The small state already have their over-weighted representation in the senate and as such they have an over-weighted sector of the EC.

Just go to a popular vote and be damned.

They always talk about treh flyover states being ignored but as it stands, it's only right that Wyoming and Iowa and the Dakotas get less attentions to Cali and NY and Texas.

As someone on Twitter said on Wednesday, "Yet again the 55million people on the West coast don't matter in the Presidential election." That is insane!

It reminds me of the GAA listening to peoples' complaints about the provincial championships, only to go ahead and adjust the provinces. Completely ignoring that the fact that there are provincial competitions at all is the problem.

The EC is the problem. Just get rid, and be done with it. tinkering around the edges is pointless.

Totally agree. The electoral college needs to go end of story. It is utterly undemocratic. The smaller states already have plenty of power with how the senate is set up.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What odds would you get for Trump holding a rally on the same day as the Inauguration?

The Biden even will definitely be a much reduced affair in keeping with the approach on Social Distance etc.

Would not shock me at all. I think now it is done and dusted at least in everyone eyes except the soon to be ex president we will see him now begin the scorched earth policy on the way out the door. What that will look like exactly I have no idea but there is no way he is leaving without doing as much damage as he can on the way out to make things as hard as possible for Biden. Plus he no doubt has a lot to cover up before he leaves as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Paul I'd never heard of this O'Keefee until you mentioned his name to me. I put up a link I seen regarding a postman claiming fraud. Might be nothing. Postman may have a vendetta against his employers for all I know. Its up to the GOP to prove any falsehoods in court.

All of course. Would you not like to know if dead folk are still out voting?

James O'Keefe was the source of that story, the "organisation" he runs is called Project Veritas. It is a complete bed of lies and some of the things it has done are truly disgusting.

In 1 "operation" in 2010 he organised a sting on a non profit homeless assistance program in California. He posed as a homeless pimp with underage girl and went looking for help from that organisation. He asked if they would help him bring in underage girls from abroad to prostitute as part of his effort "expose them in his sting".

The low paid employee of that organisation played along and when O'Keefe left that employee called the Police to report on the incident. O'Keefe released the video of the incident on the internet. It almost destroyed the life of the man who acted with the upmost of integrity.

THAT is why you check the source of the links you post. The "free social media" which you lauded on several occasions is full of bottom feeders like O'Keefe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Let's start with Florida and Texas shall we?

Any word on the missing 300,000 ballots in Florida? Trumpsters don't seem too interested in that particular scandal even though they're so keen to have all the "legal" votes counted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They tried to impeach him. How'd that go?

They did impeach him. Just because he wasn’t removed from office doesn’t mean he wasn't impeached. Impeachment is the job of the House of Representatives, removal falls to the senate. He will go down in history as the third president even impeached regardless of how he tries to spin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,619 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They tried to impeach him. How'd that go?

He was impeached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So Mitch McConnell has come out, with his first speech after the election and is rowing in behind Trump.

Well, that was a nice bit of normalcy for a couple of days.
    NY Times wrote:
    Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the top Republican in Congress, on Monday threw his support behind President Trump’s refusal to concede the election, declining to recognize President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory as he argued Mr. Trump was “100 percent within his rights” to challenge the outcome.

Even as he celebrated the success of incumbent Republican senators who won re-election and the winnowing of Democrats’ House majority, Mr. McConnell, the majority leader, treated the outcome of the presidential election as uncertain, and hammered Democrats for calling on Mr. Trump to accept the results.

“President Trump is 100 percent within his rights to look into allegations of irregularities and weigh his legal options,” the Kentucky Republican said, delivering his first comments since Mr. Biden was declared the winner. “Let’s not have any lectures about how the president should immediately, cheerfully accept preliminary election results from the same characters who just spent four years refusing to accept the validity of the last election.”

Mr. McConnell did not contradict Mr. Trump’s false claims that the election was stolen from him, instead endorsing the president’s vow to pursue a bevy of lawsuits in key swing states aimed at handing him a victory. He said that “this process will reach its resolution” and that the nation’s legal and political system “will resolve any recounts or litigation.”

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/09/us/joe-biden-trump/declining-to-recognize-bidens-victory-mcconnell-says-trump-is-100-percent-entitled-to-challenge-it

If this doesn't further underscore the need for the Dems to do EVERYTHING they can to bring out the vote in Georgia, then nothing will.

This man needs to be taken down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

So Mitch McConnell has come out, with his first speech after the election and is rowing in behind Trump.

I read earlier that Bill Barr had paid him a visit.

Things are moving along within the grand plot to nullify the Presidential election result.

I posted about this some days ago, (on 5th Nov), but given recent developments, its worth repeating:

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Levin is now moving the narrative on to the next step in Trump's plan to stay in power despite election results.

The Trump team plan is to now use confusion and chaos to undermine certification of results and to prevent States' results from being translated into a slate of electors. He has already claimed victory. He has claimed PA. He has sown the seeds of voter fraud. Remember, he asked supporters to double-vote, allegedly to 'test the system'. He can now 'prove' that voter fraud happened, thereby giving State GOP Secretary of State grounds for failing to certify the Dem/Biden result, in which case the GOP will send it OWN slate of electors to the Electoral College.

Read this Atlantic article, and listen to this Seth Abramson podcast, and then ask yourself if this is possible. I see Levin's tweet as 'following the plan' and Woods' tweet as providing the violent threats to facilitate that.

For me, PA and GA are two such 'dangerous' GOP controlled states who could easily flip a Biden win into a GOP slate. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm watching closely.

I really want to see Biden take both AZ and NV so that 270 will be reached without PA and/or GA proving me right or wrong.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

https://youtu.be/ANhCTNPMv60

In Georgia, BOTH GOP Senate candidates have called on the Secretary of State (R) to resign. This came just after the SOS said that NO evidence of voter fraud had been presented to his office, and he stood by the elections process. The GOP Senate in PA called for the resignation of their SOS (D) last week.

This is all following the pattern as described in Abramson's Oct 10 podcast and alluded to in the earlier Atlantic article.

It ain't over folks. Whether the plot succeeds will be a huge test of the process and how Constitutional law is bent to support the losing side's arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,693 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Was anyone just watching the Kayleigh McEnany press briefing? An endless stream of pure, fact free nonsense.

Apparently Fox cut away (I was watching it on Packman) and said they would broadcast it when there were some facts.

Edit, link https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/kayleigh-mcenany-press-conference-today-fox-news-trump-b1720003.html

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-live-stream-of-kayleigh-mcenany-at-trump-campaign-press-conference/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/09/us/joe-biden-trump/declining-to-recognize-bidens-victory-mcconnell-says-trump-is-100-percent-entitled-to-challenge-it

If this doesn't further underscore the need for the Dems to do EVERYTHING they can to bring out the vote in Georgia, then nothing will.

When they write the history of this period and try to figure out who was the worst of the worst it will take a lot to beat Mitch McConnell.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am sorry, but you are not reading between the lines there.

McConnell has just spouted the mindless platitudes that only legitimate ballots should be counted, and that Trump (notice he didn't say the Republican party either) is entitled to to investigate any irregularities. He didn't pledge any personal support, nor the support of the Republican party.

It's pretty clear that he's in between a rock and a hard place. He can't trash Trump because half the Republican party will lose their sh1t. He can't endorse Biden, for the same reason. The safe strategy is to let Trump have his day in the courts. Once Trump's case is thrown out by the court and the election is certified, the issue goes away with a Republican needing to come out publicly against Trump. I don't think he doubts for a second that Trump has any chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

McConnell has two Senate seats to fight for in Georgia. That is his focus. Without winning those two, Mitch is history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

“this process will reach its resolution” and that the nation’s legal and political system “will resolve any recounts or litigation.”
    I smell a rat. Barr was in to meet McConnell before this statement was made. Barr was quiet for some time. Too quiet. There's more skullduggery afoot.

McConnell has just spouted the mindless platitudes that only legitimate ballots should be counted, and that Trump (notice he didn't say the Republican party either) is entitled to to investigate any irregularities. He didn't pledge any personal support, nor the support of the Republican party.

It's pretty clear that he's in between a rock and a hard place. He can't trash Trump because half the Republican party will lose their sh1t. He can't endorse Biden, for the same reason. The safe strategy is to let Trump have his day in the courts. Once Trump's case is thrown out by the court and the election is certified, the issue goes away with a Republican needing to come out publicly against Trump. I don't think he doubts for a second that Trump has any chance.

There are no lines to read between.

Have you missed the last 6 years of Mitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He is not in a rock and a hard place, he took an oath to the Constitution. He serves the American people. There is no 6 in one and half a dozen in the other here or big dilemma beyond his own bull****. If he had any decency in him he would show some leadership of his party at this moment and take away the protection (finally) that trump receives from the Republican Congress regardless of what he does. It isn't some game, they are supposed to actually care about the country and do their goddamn jobs now and then.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Things are moving along within the grand plot to nullify the Presidential election result.

I posted about this some days ago, (on 5th Nov), but given recent developments, its worth repeating:

In Georgia, BOTH GOP Senate candidates have called on the Secretary of State (R) to resign. This came just after the SOS said that NO evidence of voter fraud had been presented to his office, and he stood by the elections process. The GOP Senate in PA called for the resignation of their SOS (D) last week.

This is all following the pattern as described in Abramson's Oct 10 podcast and alluded to in the earlier Atlantic article.

It ain't over folks. Whether the plot succeeds will be a huge test of the process and how Constitutional law is bent to support the losing side's arguments.

The GA SoS is elected and he is not going anywhere

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1325912113668296710

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Trolling posts and responses deleted. V8 Interceptor will be taking a short break.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

exactly, ****e reporting, mconnell said nothing of note and will say nothing .
    Probably has been on the phone to Biden already, both know whats what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There are no lines to read between.

Have you missed the last 6 years of Mitch?
    You said he came out in support of Trump. I listened to his statement, he clearly did nothing of the sort.

You said he came out in support of Trump. I listened to his statement, he clearly did nothing of the sort.

He "clearly" did nothing of the sort?

Read it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mod: Trolling posts and responses deleted. V8 Interceptor will be taking a short break.

Sorry about my part in those replies.

everlast75 wrote: »
    This is Biden's response to the vaccine.

No one can, with any credibility, see the difference between Trump's incompetence and this.

Night and ****ing day.

https://twitter.com/Transition46/status/1325816759690129412?s=09

I expect that trump supporters will be taking issue with the timing of the news from Pfizer, despite numerous statements from them stating that they would not have news until after the election, and their rebuttal of trumps claims that his administration had anything to do with their work.

Edit, sorry hadn't seen your earlier post showing that the pup was already on about it.
    everlast75 wrote: »
    Donny Jnr smells a rat

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1325791542490050561?s=19

For those who metaphorically spat in the face of science, they sure are salty when they can't claim credit for it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He’s not going to concede, is he? I was deluded enough to think he would by now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    He’s not going to concede, is he? I was deluded enough to think he would by now.

I don't think its delusion on your part. I think most of us hope that, even with worst case examples, they will eventually do 'the right thing', and/or that they will listen to their 'better angels'. So, using mores and norms that have existed since the 1890s, you rightly could hope that he would have conceded by now.

But, this is simply not a normal human person that you're dealing with. He is a transactional, psychopathic narcissist. In his head, he hasn't lost. He simply KNOWS that he has actually won the election, and will now only exit IF there's something in it for him, UNLESS those around him can convince him that what he KNOWS is simply not real. And that's gonna be a tough task, while all the hangers-on keep him convinced that some 'THEY' are trying to steal the election from him.

This.Is.Nowhere.Near.Over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Looks like scorched earth policy.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The GA SoS is elected and he is not going anywhere

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1325912113668296710

I'm delighted with this refusal by the GA SoS to simply roll over. If he's being honest and is not playing a role, he's going to come under massive pressure to refuse to certify the results in the next month, AND to retain the legal right to certify the results.

Water John wrote: »
    Looks like scorched earth policy.

I foresee scorched earth/burn it down policies followed by poisoning the wells before a Biden Presidency takes over to spend the 1st year simply trying to get stuff functioning again, UNLESS the GOP take control and remove the levers of power from the hands of Trump and his coterie.

Mc Connell MUST act! He MUST get Senators to the White House and tell Trump It Is Over..

But, he/they won't!

• Advertisement

I foresee scorched earth/burn it down policies followed by poisoning the wells before a Biden Presidency takes over to spend the 1st year simply trying to get stuff functioning again, UNLESS the GOP take control and remove the levers of power from the hands of Trump and his coterie.

Mc Connell MUST act! He MUST get Senators to the White House and tell Trump It Is Over..

But, he/they won't!

The first part of what you say I think your going to be spot on correct. The second part no chance it will happen. Why? Because McConnell cares only about remaining in power and he will want to keep the soon to be ex president on board for the 2 up coming senate runoffs in Georgia.

Advertisement