Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Infini wrote: »
    That's pretty interesting, if the 3rd party candidate is a fake candidate would that not be illegal or something as they're there purely to manipulate the vote and are not a legitimate candidate?

What really gets to me is how a fake candidate gets any votes at all, let alone close on 3% of the total vote. That seems incredible in my mind.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That fake candidate story is similar to the plot of the Distinguished Gentleman. Eddie Murphy is a conman who runs for and gets elected to Congress because he has the same name as a recently deceased long-term congressman. Its set in Florida, too.

It wouldn't surprise if that was where they got the idea from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What really gets to me is how a fake candidate gets any votes at all, let alone close on 3% of the total vote. That seems incredible in my mind.

Because it worked exactly how it was intended, he had the same second name as the democratic candidate and people dont pay alot of attention when picking down ballot candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

US ballots can be a complete mess, where you vote from everyone from the US President to the local dog catcher on the same sheet of paper. The fake candidate in Florida had the same last name as a popular incumbent in a different race so could easily recongnise the surname and vote for the wrong candidate.

As for Minneapolis, the GOP backers apparently funded pro drug legalization candidates, taking votes from the dems (being pro-legalization themselves). Given the fact the GOP are anti-legalization, those votes thrown away to 3rd candidates really end up hurting the cause they think they are supporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'd say it was the surname. Just caused enough confusion to take in enough votes.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    US ballots can be a complete mess, where you vote from everyone from the US President to the local dog catcher on the same sheet of paper. The fake candidate in Florida had the same last name as a popular incumbent in a different race so could easily recongnise the surname and vote for the wrong candidate.

As for Minneapolis, the GOP backers apparently funded pro drug legalization candidates, taking votes from the dems (being pro-legalization themselves). Given the fact the GOP are anti-legalization, those votes thrown away to 3rd candidates really end up hurting the cause they think they are supporting.

When you see how ballots have the same people on it twice, ie. Like how Biden and Harris were nominated by the "Working Families Party [sic]" you realise how much if a nightmare it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

306-232

From 2016
    original.png

"How the turntables"

Poetic Justice really that President Troll won 306 votes in 2016 and still lost the popular vote but Joe Biden wins the exact same amount AND the Popular vote.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUoTddld1S4&ab_channel=DavidPakmanShow

Trump just finished talking. He almost conceded at one point by accident.

Finished with "we'll see what happens in the future, who knows, who knows"

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Trump hasn't dyed his hair. It actually looks grey.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

A weird thing to comment on but the grey looks good, maybe I'm just saying that cause that's the way I'm currently headed lol.

• Advertisement

A weird thing to comment on but the grey looks good, maybe I'm just saying that cause that's the way I'm currently headed lol.

It definitely looks better than the weird colour it was before.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

Brian? wrote: »
    Is it too much to hope for that he's coming out to concede and start a tidy and peaceful transition?

Yes way too much. There is no chance of either happening. Nor will he show up at Biden's inauguration either IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,011 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I find it goes well with the oul' tango'd skin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    You know well Ireland is a country in its own right , in a membership of customers and trade relationships. You know full well. This post reads a bit smug and is comparing Texas as its own country for someone in the armed forces it's a bizarre statement to make when your pay comes from federal money of the united states of America.

No disrespect, but I submit that it is you who do not truly understand the level of independence that a State has from the other States and of control that it has within its own borders. It's down to the level that you can't even transfer a barber's license from one State to another unless that state has made a provision in law to allow it. It's why Rittenhouse had to go through an extradition procedure in the courts to be sent across the state line from Illinois to Wisconsin, just as you would have to do the same to extradite someone from Dundalk to Belfast.

And, yes, my pay does come from the Feds.
    This one's doesn't, though.
    ca23339e-f879-4d21-a669-c9b61d2a21da-texasstateguardofficialphoto_606.jpg?1436460335487

Nor this one.
    10710420_705434412895853_5186376784617833036_o%20(2).jpg

Note the Texas and Mississippi flags where I would wear a US one. They say "Texas" and "Mississippi" where my uniform says "US Army".

From Texas law. Sec. 437.002. COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF. (a) The governor is the commander-in-chief of the Texas military forces, except any portion of those forces in the service of the United States. The governor has full control and authority over all matters relating to the Texas military forces, including organization, equipment, and discipline.

Can Munster raise its own army? Scotland? Can any county in Ireland tell the Taoiseach or President that "This isn't your lane, you get no say in this" as we have seen happen in the US over the last few months? Have any Irish national laws been invalidated in Ireland because the highest court in the land has said "Sorry, legislature, you have no authority here, a county legislature has to deal with it?" (Or even saying to the EU "you have no authority to make this law", the Irish have to do it?). Who runs elections in the US vs Ireland?

The reality is that the US states have the ability to control any functions which a typical nation is expected to have, with the one exception of foreign relations which is explicitly forbidden, and the question of citizenship (Free movement of people). No Ireland-Texas treaties, for example, no Texas passports. For the functions of daily government, the States control it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

No disrespect, but I submit that it is you who do not truly understand the level of independence that a State has from the other States and of control that it has within its own borders. It's down to the level that you can't even transfer a barber's license from one State to another unless that state has made a provision in law to allow it. It's why Rittenhouse had to go through an extradition procedure in the courts to be sent across the state line from Illinois to Wisconsin, just as you would have to do the same to extradite someone from Dundalk to Belfast.

Nor this one.
    Note the Texas and Mississippi flags where I would wear a US one. They say "Texas" and "Mississippi" where my uniform says "US Army".

From Texas law. Sec. 437.002. COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF. (a) The governor is the commander-in-chief of the Texas military forces, except any portion of those forces in the service of the United States. The governor has full control and authority over all matters relating to the Texas military forces, including organization, equipment, and discipline.

Can Munster raise its own army? Scotland? Can any county in Ireland tell the Taoiseach or President that "This isn't your lane, you get no say in this" as we have seen happen in the US over the last few months? Have any Irish national laws been invalidated in Ireland because the highest court in the land has said "Sorry, legislature, you have no authority here, a county legislature has to deal with it?" (Or even saying to the EU "you have no authority to make this law", the Irish have to do it?).

The reality is that the US states have the ability to control any functions which a typical nation is expected to have, with the one exception of foreign relations which is explicitly forbidden, and the question of citizenship (Free movement of people). No Ireland-Texas treaties, for example, no Texas passports. For the functions of daily government, the States control it.

At this stage, a US Presidential Election 2020 thread is being brought down a rabbit hole. It's all very academically interesting, but really its not adding a whole lot to the question of how the Election process is playing out. And I'm not having a pop at you; many of us have taken steps down the rabbit hole along with you.

Just sayin'!

So, in tandem with the fact that AZ, GA and NC have now all been called, the entirely spurious/frivolous legal stunts that have plagued various courts since the election seem to be running out of any sense of credibility. Of particular note is the boyo in AZ who got his Ass handed to him in court yesterday in relation to Sharpiegate 2.

Not only did this ludramawn put his own business partner up as a credible 'independent' witness, he admitted that he had zero evidence to support his claims of fraud, having relied on Captchas to validate the veracity of his web-sourced affidavits. I truly hope this legal moron gets sanctioned by the bench for his time-wasting, process-polluting actions. After all, (and you couldn't make this up even if you were on LSD) he does have form in Snowflake territories:

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/trump-campaigns-arizona-lawyer-once-had-to-pay-town-of-snowflake-after-filing-frivolous-lawsuit/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Phew! I was really worried for a while there!!

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/13/us/joe-biden-trump/trump-puts-giuliani-in-charge-of-his-lawsuits-challenging-the-election-results

EDIT: Sry folks. Can't get links to resolve from my phone

EDIT 2: Feck lockdown!!! I'm heading out tomorrow to buy a truckload of Popcorn! The next few weeks is gonna be REEEAL!!! And the great thing is... Now that Rudey is in charge, there's no longer any downside!!

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Phew! I was really worried for a while there!!

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/13/us/joe-biden-trump/trump-puts-giuliani-in-charge-of-his-lawsuits-challenging-the-election-results

EDIT: Sry folks. Can't get links to resolve from my phone

What could possibly go wrong?

*That should solve your link issue to boot.

What could possibly go wrong?

*That should solve your link issue to boot.

Grassy Ass Senor/Senora/Senorita (we can't presume, dontcha kno)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

ca23339e-f879-4d21-a669-c9b61d2a21da-texasstateguardofficialphoto_606.jpg?1436460335487

Nor this one.
    10710420_705434412895853_5186376784617833036_o%20(2).jpg

Can Munster raise its own army? Scotland? Can any county in Ireland tell the Taoiseach or President that "This isn't your lane, you get no say in this" as we have seen happen in the US over the last few months? Have any Irish national laws been invalidated in Ireland because the highest court in the land has said "Sorry, legislature, you have no authority here, a county legislature has to deal with it?" (Or even saying to the EU "you have no authority to make this law", the Irish have to do it?). Who runs elections in the US vs Ireland?

To support MM on this, have any of you who have traveled the interstates of the US ever taken note of the ports of entry as you pass from one state to the other - you know the ones that look like customs posts. The first time I ever really noticed this was traveling west on the I-40 into California from Kingman to Barstow many years ago. There is a real Customs post aka port of entry to Cali at a place called Needles. There is/was a list of proscribed substances on the interstate signs approaching it. This is the simplest way of realizing you are moving from one state/country to another - it is akin to the travel from one western European country to another, traveling through the mostly abandoned customs posts which were important up to 1992.

Every state is effectively a separate country (state) with its own laws, rules etc organized as part of a federal union into a superstate which then operates internationally. Texas operated as an independent country before joining the USA but gave up SFA independence in doing that (at the time). The USA is structured politically very differently to Ireland or the UK. Canada and Australia have vaguely similar structures to the USA.

• Advertisement

mikewest wrote: »
    To support MM on this, have any of you who have traveled the interstates of the US ever taken note of the ports of entry as you pass from one state to the other - you know the ones that look like customs posts. The first time I ever really noticed this was traveling west on the I-40 into California from Kingman to Barstow many years ago. There is a real Customs post aka port of entry to Cali at a place called Needles. There is/was a list of proscribed substances on the interstate signs approaching it. This is the simplest way of realizing you are moving from one state/country to another - it is akin to the travel from one western European country to another, traveling through the mostly abandoned customs posts which were important up to 1992.

Every state is effectively a separate country (state) with its own laws, rules etc organized as part of a federal union into a superstate which then operates internationally. Texas operated as an independent country before joining the USA but gave up SFA independence in doing that (at the time). The USA is structured politically very differently to Ireland or the UK. Canada and Australia have vaguely similar structures to the USA.

Ah, C'mon lads! This is getting ridiculous!

As it stands, the USA is a country, one of 195 Sovereign Nation States according to the United Nations.

There are 50 States and some territories that, taken together, comprise the single sovereign nation state that is the USA.

Can we just accept that fact and move on!

This is not about being "in support of MM" or otherwise! To the extent that it is even loosely relevant to this discussion, can it at least be factually accurate!!! The last time I passed through Needles, it was ENTIRELY about a CBS inspection. That relates to CDFA (Food & Ag) controls. Indeed, the kind man took my 2 Walmart oranges (of unknown oranges -see what I did there?) And gave 2 local oranges instead. His crack'em up joke was "Yer TooLare to buy more oranges tonight, so here's some of ours". I later found out that Tulare County is a major producer of oranges in Cali. The 'inspection' wasn't remotely like a CBP inspection (a different beast entirely and waaaay more traumatic) and was nothing akin to inter-country transition, international customs or such!

I love E..75's "There's always a Tweet" contributions over the past four years. They have been sobering, informative, gut-curdling and have outed a universe of sheer hypocrisy I simply never knew existed!

In that same spirit, and as it relates to the current en-masse emigration of the GOP/Trump 'alliance' to a place on the right bank of DeNile, here's some commentary from well-known figures on the current situation:

The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) tweeted at 0:02 am on Tue, Nov 10, 2020:
    Meanwhile in 2018... https://t.co/13QoRgPReM
    (https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1325951831667699712?s=02)

Aaaaaaand, there's more....

The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) tweeted at 8:03 pm on Tue, Nov 10, 2020:
    But wait, there's more! https://t.co/OWgnkDtICo
    (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

At this stage, a US Presidential Election 2020 thread is being brought down a rabbit hole. It's all very academically interesting, but really its not adding a whole lot to the question of how the Election process is playing out. And I'm not having a pop at you; many of us have taken steps down the rabbit hole along with you.

Just sayin'!

Speaking of tangents here is another one. Look again at that Mississippi state flag on the sleeve of that solider. Yes that one with the racist confederate flag in it. Says it all about Mississippi that that is still their state flag in 2020.

eire4 wrote: »
    Speaking of tangents here is another one. Look again at that Mississippi state flag on the sleeve of that solider. Yes that one with the racist confederate flag in it. Says it all about Mississippi that that is still their state flag in 2020.

Fair comment in terms of the photo.

However, and I am truly in awe of this fact, the flag you mention has been retired as the State flag since June of this year.

The new flag, a much more beautiful symbol of Statehood is described here:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mississippi&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwj30cmWnoHtAhVSXMAKHZ-qCjMQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw170R7u51Egl_CTST-oUtvO

All it needs is State legislature passing it into law.

Frankly, that simple move fills me with hope! In times of despair, this should fill us with so much joy, and gratitude for/to those who

1. fought so long to make it happen, and
    2. those on the other side who finally relented.

Mississippi Abú!!!

So, here we have a beaten President, a one-termer, who is determined to take his anger and disappointment out on the people he was elected in 2016 to faithfully represent!

As the daily Covid case numbers exceed 150,000 and daily deaths move towards 1,500, here's the POTUS strategy as of today:

“Ideally we won’t go to a lockdown,” the president told reporters in the White House Rose Garden. “I will not go – this administration will not be going to a lockdown. Hopefully the – whatever happens in the future, who knows which administration will be.”

Trump added: “I guess time will tell. But I can tell you this administration will not go to a lockdown.”

So, there we are... EVERYBODY sees a fire is raging... Let's just all treat the burn victims, and bury the ones who the 1st responders don't save! But don't dare talk about damping down all the tinder that surrounds us... Bar-B-Q the **** away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,663 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Trump acknowledging that maybe his administration won't be in charge in Jan.

It's all becoming real for Don :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Fair comment in terms of the photo.

However, and I am truly in awe of this fact, the flag you mention has been retired as the State flag since June of this year.

The new flag, a much more beautiful symbol of Statehood is described here:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mississippi&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwj30cmWnoHtAhVSXMAKHZ-qCjMQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw170R7u51Egl_CTST-oUtvO

All it needs is State legislature passing it into law.

Frankly, that simple move fills me with hope! In times of despair, this should fill us with so much joy, and gratitude for/to those who

1. fought so long to make it happen, and
    2. those on the other side who finally relented.

Mississippi Abú!!!

Indeed, the referendum to approve it was passed on the same day as the election:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Mississippi_flag_referendum

So, here we have a beaten President, a one-termer, who is determined to take his anger and disappointment out on the people he was elected in 2016 to faithfully represent!

As the daily Covid case numbers exceed 150,000 and daily deaths move towards 1,500, here's the POTUS strategy as of today:

“Ideally we won’t go to a lockdown,” the president told reporters in the White House Rose Garden. “I will not go – this administration will not be going to a lockdown. Hopefully the – whatever happens in the future, who knows which administration will be.”

Trump added: “I guess time will tell. But I can tell you this administration will not go to a lockdown.”

So, there we are... EVERYBODY sees a fire is raging... Let's just all treat the burn victims, and bury the ones who the 1st responders don't save! But don't dare talk about damping down all the tinder that surrounds us... Bar-B-Q the **** away!!

Whether there’s a lockdown is absolutely nothing to do with the Federal government, thankfully, the states decide that. I’m still not sure if Trump knows that.

Obviously a responsible POTUS would be asking states to lockdown now, but it isn’t his call.

they/them/theirs

Indeed, the referendum to approve it was passed on the same day as the election:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Mississippi_flag_referendum

I seem to remember a legal challenge is ready to go. There’s an objection to the words “In God we Trust”, it infringes On the separation of church and state.

The satanic church wants to add Satan to the flag as well, in the name of fairness. They are pure mischief.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,939 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Brian? wrote: »
    Whether there’s a lockdown is absolutely nothing to do with the Federal government, thankfully, the states decide that. I’m still not sure if Trump knows that.

Obviously a responsible POTUS would be asking states to lockdown now, but it isn’t his call.

If he does not have the power to tell the states to do something about the pandemic, why is it the GOP ran states are echoing his stance on COVID?

Whilst he doesn't officially have the power to tell them what to do, it's clear to me that he has it anyway

Advertisement