Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Rudi's performances on/post- 9/11 were an aberration. He was always a goon, whose prosecutor/SDNY days were described thus:

"What's the most dangerous place on Earth? Being between Rudi Giuliani and a microphone! "

Ok, maybe my memory is fading just remember him being quite empathetic immediately after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The amount of memes from this will keep people busy for years, from the hair dye running, the look on his face and your one behind him.

Add the rubbish they are coming out with, it'll be comedy gold as you say.

What's mad is I'm absolutely certain if that were some democrat lawyer, the QAnon nuts (like Trump himself) would be claiming its proof that they are using doppelganger, or cloning humans to amass more votes, or something along those lines.

Im not saying that as a joke either, this is where a good 30-40% of that country are at, at present.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Karl Rove isn’t convinced on Fox News. He’s politely reaming the Trump legal team for making such serious accusations

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Blowfish wrote: »
    So this is pretty amazingly pointing out the competence of Giuliani. Basically, the Trump campaign are withdrawing their litigation to prevent the election being certified in Michigan because they say that Wayne Co. have declined to certify the result, hence they gained the result they want. This is despite the fact that Wayne co. reversed the decision and have actually certified. The Trump campaign are claiming they won out of court....even though they lost:

https://twitter.com/johnkruzel/status/1329443846422454275

At this stage Trump is aggressively interfering in the election process which includes the certification process. I wonder what threats were levied against these 2 Republicans in Michigan to have a change of heart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Exactly.

FB on the other hand have openly been enabling this madness and division. They've done this in a number of places to the point the Myanmar/Rohingya genocides of recent years have in part been attributed to them. They have been selling off user data to Cambridge Analytica without consent. They have played a central role in enabling foreign influence of other nations' elections (a reference beyond just Trump/Russia stuff). They have been the epicenter of anti mask/lockdown/5g lunacy, and if many far left and far right extremists in the US over the last several years, but the last 10-12 months more than ever.

I don't think Zuckerberg is pushing any particular ideology to be clear, he just wants more influence and comes over as an outright sociopathic narcissist (in silicon valley? Who would have thought! :pac: ).

Of course it won't happen, but ideally Facebook should just be shut down for good. They're a prime example of why these large social media companies need to regulate their content, and a very cautionary taken of what happens when you indulge the "free speech" brigade that actually give zero fcuks about free speech at all for anyone that isn't them.

There's no two ways about it, FB are nothing short of evil.

Well we know how Zuckerberg started and how he screwed over people left right and centre.

The thing that scares him is Section 230 being altered and it is about time it was.
    Both the Democrats and the Republicans want to limit the stuff posted on social media platforms, but for different reasons at the moment.

I wonder does he ever think of giving a few quid to Jordan Belfort because without him he would have had jack **** because he would have had his ass sued out of existence for the stuff he has allowed be posted in Facefook.

And he and the company have declared in court in California that they are a publisher when it suited them.
    So which is it, a platform or a publisher ?
    Wasn't she also the wan who said that people should "miss a meal" and donate the money saved to her campaign?

Yep that was her indeed.
    And much like Trump and his bleach comment she later claimed it was a joke when it went down like a lead balloon.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Whatever about the US election, would any of you guys be comfortable with mail in voting here? I wouldn't. I think going down to the booth and posting your ballot is the safest and most tried and trusted method there is.

You know that you can vote by mail here don't you, if you meet specific requirements?

What's mad is I'm absolutely certain if that were some democrat lawyer, the QAnon nuts (like Trump himself) would be claiming its proof that they are using doppelganger, or cloning humans to amass more votes, or something along those lines.

Im not saying that as a joke either, this is where a good 30-40% of that country are at, at present.

Everything relative I suppose, no yanks I know would be that way, but in fairness they are educated been outside of the U.S.traveling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Whatever about the US election, would any of you guys be comfortable with mail in voting here? I wouldn't. I think going down to the booth and posting your ballot is the safest and most tried and trusted method there is.

Probably not so much in the midst of a pandemic. Also, if I was voting in areas that had very high queues, I would opt to mail my vote every time, if there were an option. Not sure why anybody wouldn't (unless advised against doing so by the president).

^^
    Good points there. Its just from a layman's perspective I'd imagine mail in would be more vulnerable to fraud than in person. But its interesting you say in Canada it seemed just as secure.

Not sure about that either, to be honest. At one point, I was registered in three places to vote - I was still registered in one place despite many times trying to get my name of their list (I probably still am). And judging from the last time I voted (no ID check, and while they asked for my polling card, they were fine when I said that I didn't have it) I'm pretty sure I could have voted in the three places had I been so inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

One thing I don't get about the electoral college system is, who are the electors? I keep reading that Trump will try to put his own electors forward but surely they already know who they are?

OhHiMark wrote: »
    One thing I don't get about the electoral college system is, who are the electors? I keep reading that Trump will try to put his own electors forward but surely they already know who they are?

He is suing individuals who are apparently

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-campaign-sues-homeless-nevada-presidential-elector-challenge-results-1548307

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/KaraScannell/status/1329532192792469504?s=19

And another one bites the dust...

What's that now...1-30?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

murpho999 wrote: »
    He claims USA is greatest democracy is greatest in the world, but :

It's completely open to fraud.
    FBI is on it.
    Democrats have been doing it for years.
    Dominion machines are manipulated.
    People went into count room in middle of the night and gave Joe Biden 196,000 votes.
    Violence threatened against witnesses
    Cities and counties have been corrupt for decades.

Mayors held back votes to get Kennedy elected in 1960
    Clintons involved and they made up 2016 Russian collusion
    They have evidence but they cannot reveal yet
    Media is involved as they censor information

Really ridiculous stuff

The one not struckthru above is probably true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Rudey, who is now Donald's lead legal resource for post-election challenges, was in full flight on Fox News this morning with his last-ditch effort to get the Courts to throw out the results in multiple States. The focus is now the Smartmatic voting machines.

Let's hope this ****e gets brought into Court immediately, so that Rudey can get his Ass handed to him by a judge. As it stands, the Courts have thrown out 19 of the 20 cases brought so far. I eagerly await No. 20.

So, another day… another Rudey ****show..

This time, his sweaty scheme is buttressed by a clearly delusional Sidney Powell, who received her evidence via tinfoil-hat thought transference from a long-dead Hugo Chavez, he formerly of Venezuela and nowadays of a more eternal place. Sidney is aided by the smirking Jenna Ellis who pouted her way through much of the presser.

Now, here's the thing: I suffered through the entirety of yesterday's hearing, where Rudey argued in front of Judge Brann, the remnants of the allegations against the Secretary of State. In that hearing, he specifically stated- repeatedly- that it was NOT a fraud case. However, today, not long after withdrawing the PA complaint in full, he repeated the exact same arguments at the presser. So, he blatantly lied in public, having failed to progress his allegations in Court, where he knew his lies wouldn't fly and for which he would have been sanctioned.

Powell's absolutely lunatic assertions are so crazy as to not even merit discussion…

This is still proceeding in accordance with the Trump Plan B I referred to a fortnight ago. Its all part of the ongoing attempt to get slates of electors agreed by States that reject the actual election result in those States. They've pressurised the SoS of Georgia. Graham got caught blatantly interfering with GA results. Trump has called the 2 Reps who had initially refused to certify results in Wayne county, then relented and signed. Following Trump's intervention, they've now tried to recant their signatures, but appear to have lost their chance. Trump has invited the Senate Majority Leader and House Speaker (both Reps) of Michigan to the White House for 'discussions'. Imagine what that's about!

Hopefully, Plan B will not work. The danger is, as we progress to certification, this ****e is still being progressed and hasn't been totally shut down by the so-called 'adults in the room'. They're clearly not offering any serious arguments in lower courts. The SCOTUS is their ultimate legal target. The purpose of all this is to try to give GOP States cover to implement Plan B at their level, supported by a SCOTUS decision that will hand it all back to State Assemblies to make decisions as to how States' electors will vote in the Electoral College. The Plan requires the EC to end in enough chaos that Pence will not accept the EC outcome and will put it to the House to finally decide. In that case, Trump will be elected President by a vote of 26 to 24.

It appears that this scenario gets little traction here and is quickly dismissed. I understand why people dismiss it. On a logical basis and using 'normal' rules of process in a healthy democracy, it is far-fetched. I agree! However, the US is no longer a 'normal democracy'. This is now Trumpland! Nothing is far-fetched any more. It is firmly in the Twilight Zone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

OhHiMark wrote: »

Normally they are a group of nominees put forward by the relevant political party before the election. When you cast your vote as a voter, you are actually voting for the group of nominees from that State who have been selected by the party of the presidential nominee whose name you are selecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rudi's performances on/post- 9/11 were an aberration. He was always a goon, whose prosecutor/SDNY days were described thus:

"What's the most dangerous place on Earth? Being between Rudi Giuliani and a microphone! "

The same has been said about Chuck Schumer in the past. In a weird way 9/11 made New Yorkers forget how bad of a mayor he was prior to that awful event and yes in fairness he did handle that situation well but as you say it’s one time period in a sea of crap.

I didn’t see the press conference but its gone beyond a farce at this stage. It’s very sad actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Momentum is really building now in camp Trump and you sense the Biden side are getting anxious

Gonna be difficult for Biden to claw this back

This angry lady at the Giuliani press conference is hitting all the lunatic talking points:
    • George Soros
    • Hugo Chavez
    • "Injecting" ballots
    • Communists funding the left

She looked like she was on the verge of bringing up an international pedophile ring but that would have been a little too on the nose

Hugo Chavez ? Sure he’s dead a few years so how is he involved ?

Momentum is really building now in camp Trump and you sense the Biden side are getting anxious

Gonna be difficult for Biden to claw this back

Claw what back? Biden won the election. It’ll be certified soon, then he electoral college will vote him in and he’ll be inaugurated in January.

What have Trumps campaign done that will slow this down, never mind stop it.

they/them/theirs

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Hugo Chavez ? Sure he’s dead a few years so how is he involved ?

I couldn’t believe what I was watching earlier. It was absolute madness

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Brian? wrote: »
    Claw what back? Biden won the election. It’ll be certified soon, then he electoral college will vote him in and he’ll be inaugurated in January.

What have Trumps campaign done that will slow this down, never mind stop it.

The problem is its hard to work out what is humour and what's delusion anymore. I think this was humour maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I think Mick meant to post that on 3am election night but it got delayed 2 weeks

Brian? wrote: »
    Karl Rove isn’t convinced on Fox News. He’s politely reaming the Trump legal team for making such serious accusations

I never thought I'd see the day that Ham Rove would be the voice of reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

CNN didn't show the Rudy show. Briana Keller said this was because it was full of BS. Love it when she talks dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Water John wrote: »
    CNN didn't show the Rudy show. Briana Keller said this was because it was full of BS. Love it when she talks dirty.

If Brianna talked dirty to me and called BS, I'd immediately jump in the shower! Brianna doesn't do small-talk. Her questions are laser-focused and as sharp as a rapier. She is one of the best interviewers for cutting through BS and eliciting the truth in an interview.

While CNN didn't show it, OANN and Newsmax will be running it for days (sans a melting Rudey) and the 70+million Trump voters will be lapping it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The story goes that when Hilary was giving her first interview on running for POTUS, one of her staff asked CNN for Bianna (Golodryga) but it was misunderstood as Brianna (Keller). Clinton got a grilling rather than the soft interview expected.
    Brianna is very deceptive, very laid back voice but carries a scalpel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

Normally they are a group of nominees put forward by the relevant political party before the election. When you cast your vote as a voter, you are actually voting for the group of nominees from that State who have been selected by the party of the presidential nominee whose name you are selecting.

Exactly, one of the electors in New York is Hillary Clinton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Eh?No. There's not. Cmon.

No, there's never been a photo on my polling card. First I heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I have no idea about the process and am genuinely curious (alarmed) if Trump has a path to victory here?

I'm seeing a lot of people assuring us that Trump has no path to victor. But is that authoritative or are they just from people who have a bit too much blind faith in the system? Like when we thought he'd never win the Republican Primary, or the presidential election, or has been allowed to do so many of the outrageous things he's already done.

Is the plan just to delay, delay delay and then... something something supreme court?

Or if enough Republican electors cave to MAGA pressure can the election be overturned?

I'm generally of the opinion that this is all for show so Trump has an excuse for losing but am curious if people (who know much about these things) think he has much of a shot.

Water John wrote: »

I was just watching the clip on CNN’s YouTube page. That Jenna... I’ve forgotten her surname but she seems to have caught the same thing Lindsay graham has come down with these past four years. But yeah Brianna is excellent and she has never raises her voice but she takes no BS or waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

I have no idea about the process and am genuinely curious (alarmed) if Trump has a path to victory here?

I'm seeing a lot of people assuring us that Trump has no path to victor. But is that authoritative or are they just from people who have a bit too much blind faith in the system? Like when we thought he'd never win the Republican Primary, or the presidential election, or has been allowed to do so many of the outrageous things he's already done.

Is the plan just to delay, delay delay and then... something something supreme court?

Or if enough Republican electors cave to MAGA pressure can the election be overturned?

I'm generally of the opinion that this is all for show so Trump has an excuse for losing but am curious if people (who know much about these things) think he has much of a shot.

Thats not how it works. The electors names are put forward by each party (or candidate) before the election.

The vote is actually for the electors not the candidates. So for instance Georgia voted democrat and this is the list of the Electors put forward by the Democratic party.

Stacey Abrams
    Nikema Williams
    Bob Trammell
    Steve Henson
    Calvin Smyre
    Van R. Johnson
    Wendy Davis
    Gloria Butler
    Deborah Gonzalez
    Bobby Fuse
    Sachin Varghese
    Fenika Miller
    Pedro Marin
    Rachel Paule
    Cathy Woolard
    Ben Myers

Each of them has a vote in the electoral college and the republicans get no votes because they lost the state of Georgia.

Advertisement