Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well yes they make it easier to vote in areas they control..... they cant do anything in areas they don't. Do you think there's a problem with making it easier to vote?

I find it highly curious you seem to be equating both voter suppression with easier voting access as being nefarious political tools?

How do they suppress the vote? Someone linked up a couple of Guardian articles earlier claiming the GOP admitted doing it but they didn't.

The argument re the Dems was that they ballot harvest in areas where they're likely to be voted for, ie like you say making it easier to vote, but they don't in areas where they're less likely to get votes making it somewhat unfair.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    You know that you can vote by mail here don't you, if you meet specific requirements?

I do indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No, there's never been a photo on my polling card. First I heard of it.

I know.

I said that above.

It was a facetious comment made in the face of your ludicrous claims about voter fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭paul71

How do they suppress the vote? Someone linked up a couple of Guardian articles earlier claiming the GOP admitted doing it but they didn't.

The argument re the Dems was that they ballot harvest in areas where they're likely to be voted for, ie like you say making it easier to vote, but they don't in areas where they're less likely to get votes making it somewhat unfair.

I do indeed.

By striking off 750,000 voters from the register a month before State governors election in predominately Black areas of Georgia for no reason.

https://www.economist.com/democracy-in-america/2018/10/22/georgia-and-the-right-to-vote

If that had been done in Ireland there would rightly be cival war.

paul71 wrote: »
    By striking off 750,000 voters from the register a month before State governors election in predominately Black areas of Georgia for no reason.

https://www.economist.com/democracy-in-america/2018/10/22/georgia-and-the-right-to-vote

If that had been done in Ireland there would rightly be cival war.

40 days? That seems like a reasonable time to correct any irregularities. Our electoral register in Ireland some say is in a mess. Perhaps some such scrutiny in our own land wouldn't go amiss in cleaning it up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

40 days? That seems like a reasonable time to correct any irregularities. Our electoral register in Ireland some say is in a mess. Perhaps some such scrutiny in our own land wouldn't go amiss in cleaning it up a bit?
    Anything to say about the racial imbalance of the clean up process? The Republicans sure are selective when it comes to cleaning up "irregularities." But I'm sure it's just coincidental.

"black applicants were eight times more likely than whites—and Latinos and Asian-Americans six times more likely—to be rejected"

• Advertisement

Why are these folks so much less likely to have their applications in order?

Yes, why once again is it black people who are in focus here? Why are they 6 times more likely than Latinos and Asians not to have their applications in order?

They were not applications, they were registered voters struck off for no reason, massive voter suppression which would not be tolerated anywhere except in the armed police state that is the US.

It is to the immense credit of Stacey Abrams the candidate who lost in that election due to the criminal and immoral suppression of the Republican governor of Georgia that she has since then in 1 year organised the registration of 800,000 voters in Georgia and helped restore a semblance of democracy in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

The "these folks" bit... yikes. Is your suggestion that black americans are eight times more likely to be unable to fill out applications than their white counterparts?

University IDs removed from the list of documents accepted as IDs and Gun licenses added, it is the cumulative effect of thousands of of deliberate discriminatory laws, designed by racists and bigots against "these folks" that suppress votes.

The "these folks" bit... yikes. Is your suggestion that black americans are eight times more likely to be unable to fill out applications than their white counterparts?

Yes a very revealing comment indeed.

• Advertisement

They were not applications, they were registered voters struck off for no reason, massive voter suppression which would not be tolerated anywhere except in the armed police state that is the US.

It is to the immense credit of Stacey Abrams the candidate who lost in that election due to the criminal and immoral suppression of the Republican governor of Georgia that she has since then in 1 year organised the registration of 800,000 voters in Georgia and helped restore a semblance of democracy in that state.
    I edited my post as I'd incorrectly read the Stats.

It says applications in your link Sir. Yes that Georgia case appears rather strange. If she did as she claims perhaps that's why Georgia has, recount pending, gone blue this time round?

Is your suggestion that black americans are eight times more likely to be unable to fill out applications than their white counterparts?
    I asked the question so I was kinda hoping for an answer.
    University IDs removed from the list of documents accepted as IDs and Gun licenses added, it is the cumulative effect of thousands of of deliberate discriminatory laws, designed by racists and bigots against "these folks" that suppress votes.
    Thank you.

Gun licences added and Uni ID's deleted sounds strange. Just curious though, are minorities more likely to go to Uni than whites?
    The "these folks" bit... yikes.
    Yes a very revealing comment indeed.
    "these folks"
    Sorry lads you'll have to explain that one.

I edited my post as I'd incorrectly read the Stats.

It says applications in your link Sir. Yes that Georgia case appears rather strange. If she did as she claims perhaps that's why Georgia has, recount pending, gone blue this time round?

Read it again, they were registrations not applications. The Governor required everyone in black majority areas ONLY to re-register for no reason. Most people were not made aware that they had to re-register.

Most of the 750,000 struck off did not even know they had been.

It was a deliberate racist voter suppression policy and 1 example of thousands across the US including the one in Texas removing university id as an accepted document while adding gun licences, the closing of polling stations in native American reservation areas and thousands of other laws in other states.

New Hampshire a State with high student population blocking out of state driving licenses, deliberately at students because many them are from other states.

Across the country, one in 13 Black Americans cannot vote due to disenfranchisement laws.

I asked the question so I was kinda hoping for an answer.

Thank you.

Gun licences added and Uni ID's deleted sounds strange. Just curious though, are minorities more likely to go to Uni than whites?

Sorry lads you'll have to explain that one.

You know exactly what you were saying with the "these folks" comment.

Read it again, they were registrations not applications.
    I have done and it repeatedly says applications. Anyway it doesn't matter.
    You know exactly what you were saying with the "these folks" comment.

What???

I'd normally not make a deal out of something but you've gotten a "like" for that and in the past this kind of shrouded accusation of something (that I'm clueless about) has gotten me in trouble with moderation. I don't want that to happen again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Gun licenses tend to be government issued identification. In my case, both my driver's license and my gun license are issued by the Tx. Department of Public Safety. In one case (the gun license), I had to have my identity and eligibility verified by background check with fingerprints taken. If a driver's license is good enough to vote here, a firearms license is damned well good enough to vote.

The question of whether university ID should be considered good enough to vote is more difficult. According to https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/texas/ , "There are 170 colleges and universities in Texas enrolling 1,572,375 students."

For Georgia, it says "There are 114 colleges and universities in Georgia enrolling 530,360 students."

Presuming most have their own IDs, there is no way to expect a poll worker to know if he's looking at a real one or not. Further, the standard is hardly unique: Good luck trying to get on an airplane, for example, with a university ID, even if it's one from as famous as Harvard.

In the case of Georgia specifically, those evil Republicans who control the legislature also changed to law just before the 2016 election to automatically register to vote anyone who is eligible and has a driver's license. A bit like California, actually. Except the system enrolled more people in Georgia than in California, it seems. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-happened-when-2-2-million-people-were-automatically-registered-to-vote/

Or
    https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/automatic-registration-leads-surge-new-georgia-voters/97PMHrv8anlB66TfKdlUtK/
    With little fanfare, Georgia started automatically signing up voters in droves three years ago when they got their driver’s licenses.

That quiet change made a loud impact: more than 681,000 newly registered voters, pushing the state's total number of voters to a record high of 7 million.

Amid heated battles over voting rights, Georgia has emerged as an unlikely national leader in automatic voter registration, according to a study this month by the Brennan Center for Justice. The study estimated that 94% more voters registered in Georgia than if the state hadn't implemented automatic voter registration in September 2016.

Which seems more than 35,000 removed for inaccurate form-filling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I seriously doubt it. His entire presidency has been characterised by inaction camouflaged by empty rhetoric. It's quite the stretch to think that, even if he wanted to, he'd be able to manage something as consequential as starting a war.

(l’état - avec un accent aigu - c’est nous)

Is voter turnout of 65% generally par for the course for a democracy? Probably about right I suppose. But if either of the parties could motivate even 10% of the 35% it could swing a state or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,833 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

swiwi_ wrote: »
    (l’état - avec un accent aigu - c’est nous)

Is voter turnout of 65% generally par for the course for a democracy? Probably about right I suppose. But if either of the parties could motivate even 10% of the 35% it could swing a state or two.

Turnout this year was highest in 120 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Turnout this year was highest in 120 years.

One good thing you could say about Trump is that he got people to vote, although for the wrong reasons. Hopefully that’s a trend that continues in future state and presidential elections. Democracies tend to work better if everyone votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

MadYaker wrote: »
    One good thing you could say about Trump is that he got people to vote, although for the wrong reasons. Hopefully that’s a trend that continues in future state and presidential elections. Democracies tend to work better if everyone votes.
    Couldn't agree more. Dead people voting gives me real hope for the afterlife.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Nope! Banned for 1 month. Other posters please dont reply to V8 Interceptors comments dueing that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Couldn't agree more. Dead people voting gives me real hope for the afterlife.

Wasn't the only cases of people using dead names to vote a couple of blokes trying to vote for Trump?

stoneill wrote: »
    Wasn't the only cases of people using dead names to vote a couple of blokes trying to vote for Trump?
    Oh they voted for Trump? That's fine then. Election fraud is totally a myth in that case. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Judging by last night's TV networks and comments on Twitter, it looks like the Trump campaign attempt to have the election results overthrown is finally being seen for what it is- a 'soft-coup'... shoddy, mis-managed, cack-handed, but a coup attempt nonetheless! Trump's Plan B attempt MUST BE shut down by Mitch Mc Connell and his Senate GOP colleagues NOW, to avoid a schism in US society that will take decades to heal.

The 70+ million Trump voters are being increasingly wound up by baseless allegations being made in public that totally undermine the electoral process and spread lies made up on the far-right fringes of Q-land. Many of these people being wound up may not unwind themselves gracefully when the coup attempt fails, as it must. Trump and his so-called 'legal team' are playing with fire, and lobbing petrol bombs!

GA will certify the result today. Michigan will do so on Monday. PA, WI, MN, AZ and NV are all still being targeted by the crackpot fraud claims made outside of a court setting. This, despite the same/related Trump team lawyers losing every attempt at alleging fraud in cases, or stipulating in court that NO fraud is being alleged. This madness has to stop before the tipping point into violence is reached!

What an absolute ****show of sedition and treachery, on a day when the official (but likely under-estimated) Covid death toll went over 250,000 souls. And there's simply no functioning national government, apart from a recalcitrant failed administration poisoning wells and setting fires that the incoming administration will take a year or more to put out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Judging by last night's TV networks and comments on Twitter, it looks like the Trump campaign attempt to have the election results overthrown is finally being seen for what it is- a 'soft-coup'... shoddy, mis-managed, cack-handed, but a coup attempt nonetheless! Trump's Plan B attempt MUST BE shut down by Mitch Mc Connell and his Senate GOP colleagues NOW, to avoid a schism in US society that will take decades to heal.

The 70+ million Trump voters are being increasingly wound up by baseless allegations being made in public that totally undermine the electoral process and spread lies made up on the far-right fringes of Q-land. Many of these people being wound up may not unwind themselves gracefully when the coup attempt fails, as it must. Trump and his so-called 'legal team' are playing with fire, and lobbing petrol bombs!

GA will certify the result today. Michigan will do so on Monday. PA, WI, MN, AZ and NV are all still being targeted by the crackpot fraud claims made outside of a court setting. This, despite the same/related Trump team lawyers losing every attempt at alleging fraud in cases, or stipulating in court that NO fraud is being alleged. This madness has to stop before the tipping point into violence is reached!

What an absolute ****show of sedition and treachery, on a day when the official (but likely under-estimated) Covid death toll went over 250,000 souls. And there's simply no functioning national government, apart from a recalcitrant failed administration poisoning wells and setting fires that the incoming administration will take a year or more to put out.

I think the official GOP Twitter account tweeting out Rudy's press conference yesterday without comment hasn't helped either. It sounds like they have endorsed all the crazy claims made by the lawyers.

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1329490975266398210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Field east

Normally they are a group of nominees put forward by the relevant political party before the election. When you cast your vote as a voter, you are actually voting for the group of nominees from that State who have been selected by the party of the presidential nominee whose na€ me you are selecting.

Is it not the case that the presidential candidate gets all the EC votes in a state if he/she wins that state. ? What have these nominees got to do with overseeing this apart from formally agreeing that the winner takes all and recording the decision in the ‘minutes of the meeting’ . I understand that a few states divvy up the College votes in another way.
    And who decides on the number of nominees per canditate? What happens if , say ,Biden wins a state by a landslide and Trump has the majority of the nominees, can the Trump nominees refuse to agree that Biden gets all the votes.

And why is Trump thinking of replacing ‘his’ nominees with another group of them? Is it because the original selection will not do his bidding. .
    Would appreciate if some boardie out there would clear this up for me.
    It may be of interest to know because we could be going down this track

Roanmore wrote: »
    It sounds like they have endorsed all the crazy claims made by the lawyers.
    It'll be up to the courts to decide whether these claims are crazy, not the biased news networks who pushed the baseless Russia-collusion narrative from 2016. All we can do is wait and see.

Here's the full press conference for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8LiGZhK-bg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,619 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It'll be up to the courts to decide whether these claims are crazy, not the biased news networks who pushed the baseless Russia-collusion narrative from 2016. All we can do is wait and see.

Here's the full press conference for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8LiGZhK-bg

It wasn't a press conference, it was an hour of liar after liar standing in front of a microphone making baseless claims without showing a shred of evidence.

It was a circus for the Trump believers, the head clown even had his hair dye running down the side of his face. 32 cases laughed out of various courts now and still there are Trump zealots who believe in this "voter fraud" conspiracy and that their man will overturn results in the states he lost and be re-elected.

Trump made the office of the president of the United States into a laughing stock around the world, Now he is showing why he is not and never was fit to hold that office in the first place.

If anyone had told me 20 or even 10 years ago that the transition of power from one president to another would go like this I would have called the men in white coats to take them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Deludedone

Field east wrote: »
    Is it not the case that the presidential candidate gets all the EC votes in a state if he/she wins that state. ? What have these nominees got to do with overseeing this apart from formally agreeing that the winner takes all and recording the decision in the ‘minutes of the meeting’ . I understand that a few states divvy up the College votes in another way.
    And who decides on the number of nominees per canditate? What happens if , say ,Biden wins a state by a landslide and Trump has the majority of the nominees, can the Trump nominees refuse to agree that Biden gets all the votes.

And why is Trump thinking of replacing ‘his’ nominees with another group of them? Is it because the original selection will not do his bidding. .
    Would appreciate if some boardie out there would clear this up for me.
    It may be of interest to know because we could be going down this track

I'm not sure if this article answers your specific question but it may offer some insight as to what is possibly at play at the moment. Since I'm a new user I can't post the full link.
    dailyposter.com/p/trump-is-staging-a-coup-why-are-dems

• Advertisement

It wasn't a press conference
    Even CNN was there... it was a press conference, sorry.
    it was an hour of liar after liar standing in front of a microphone making baseless claims without showing a shred of evidence.
    Try actually watching the full video. These are opening statements, that outline what will be proven... not a presentation of evidence.
    the head clown even had his hair dye running down the side of his face
    Which isn't going to matter in court, no more than Trump's weird hair, spotty face-tan, small hands, or any number of other low-information-voter ad-hominem talking points.
    32 cases laughed out of various courts now
    Try sitting all the way through the video. This "32 cases" conspiracy-theory is thoroughly debunked in the video.
    If anyone had told me 20 or even 10 years ago that the transition of power from one president to another would go like this I would have called the men in white coats to take them away.
    Yes, it's a shít-show... I think everyone can agree with that. But on one side you have mad-man Hitler Trump attempting a coup, or corrupt democrat true-believers thinking they have the right to circumvent democracy because they know better. And with the attitude from leftists from the past 4 years, I know which conspiracy theory is sounding more credible to me.

Advertisement