Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If you tell a narcissist they are person of the year, even for the wrong reasons, they will only see it as a positive for them.

Times Magazine was right to not feed the bad behaviour.

Adolf Hitler: Man of the Year, 1938 you won't believe what happened next.

He didn't win by 57%. He won with 57%. That's a critical distinction.

He got 57% of the vote. Trump got 62% so McConnell trailed him but he still got enough support to beat McGrath by 19.6% despite some split ticket Trump/McGrath voting.

The logical fallacy at play here is that people think just because McConnell is unpopular with Kentuckians that he should have lost. That didn't happen because his opponent was even more unpopular.
    In Scotland Nicola Sturgeon has an approval rating of 49%, Boris Johnson's is -58%

That's a difference of 107% , I'd love to see the US style spin on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Best for all involved really, Barr will be one of the few trump employees who won't hammer him in the next few years while in return an amicable break up means a political run if he is that way inclined won't be derailed by a bitter Trump.

Barr will go down in history as one of the most pernicious elements of the Trump era.

When he was appointed as the highest legal officer and most trusted leader of the country's legal administration, he prostituted himself to a Mafia Don Wannabee who had only his own interests at heart. Of all of the pathetic, execrable scabs that comprised this failed Presidency, apart from possibly Stephen Miller, Barr was the scabbiest of them all..

May he rot in his exit, and let no-one attempt to paint his resignation as anything other than King Rat jumping before all the lifeboats have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Great speech by Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sticking it to the GOP and Trump. Go Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Best for all involved really, Barr will be one of the few trump employees who won't hammer him in the next few years while in return an amicable break up means a political run if he is that way inclined won't be derailed by a bitter Trump.

A political run?! He belongs in prison along with Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,845 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Barr will never run politically. He has zero charisma and seemed to hate being on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

MadYaker wrote: »
    A political run?! He belongs in prison along with Trump.

My recollection of the St. john's Church Bible-waving stunt was that Barr brought forward the curfew by 15 minutes with the peaceful protestors not informed of the change. The ensuing seal cull was a deliberate act of violence against constitutionally-protected rights of citizens to demonstrate by the sitting AG and therefore, for this one action alone, he should be jailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting FB post from an old attorney friend who used to live in WI about the most recent failed lawsuit:

"So a friend of mine shared the link to the Wisconsin Supreme Court decision affirming the circuit court decision against Trump, Pence & the Trump Campaign regarding voter fraud. As I am reading the petitioner's complaint (4 points) I am struck on how totally unrealistic and illogical they are and thinking to myself how embarrassing it must have been to present these in oral arguments to the court. Having worked for a WI based law firm a number of years I scrolled back up to see which high-powered firm the cash rich Trump campaign hired to represent them. None. The firms, which I won't list here, are truly strip mall attorneys, and the attorney chosen to print the oral arguments is a divorce and personal injury attorney. Nothing wrong with that area of law as I know a few qualified and outstanding individuals that practice in that area. But I would have expected with literally hundreds of millions of dollars of donations to overturn the election results that the Trump campaign would have engaged a larger firm with vast resources and experience in election law. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Igotadose wrote: »
    Interesting FB post from an old attorney friend who used to live in WI about the most recent failed lawsuit:

"So a friend of mine shared the link to the Wisconsin Supreme Court decision affirming the circuit court decision against Trump, Pence & the Trump Campaign regarding voter fraud. As I am reading the petitioner's complaint (4 points) I am struck on how totally unrealistic and illogical they are ....."

and yet it only failed by a single vote - 3 of the sitting justices backed the Trump side.

The surprise victory by the Democratic backed candidate in the election to that court earlier this year made all the difference.

Wisconsin already has the most Gerrymandered legislature in the country. It's got a lot of institutional problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Trump needs to take his tablets along with many of his MAGA supporters with baseball caps and low loader trucks.

Worrying in a way that 70 or so million voted for this moron. Will the frenzy dissipate I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Igotadose wrote: »
    "But I would have expected with literally hundreds of millions of dollars of donations to overturn the election results that the Trump campaign would have engaged a larger firm with vast resources and experience in election law. "
    Whereas people who know Trump would expect him to do exactly what he is doing, while enriching himself and his family in the process.

Trump really doesn't expect the cases to succeed, which is why he is not spending big (donated) money on the best lawyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It's been said on here that Trump often accuses others of what he is guilty of himself.

Because he lost the election nobody is saying to dig in to his votes but for him to win 70 million maybe someone should turn the tables and start investigating voter fraud for Trump votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's been said on here that Trump often accuses others of what he is guilty of himself.

Because he lost the election nobody is saying to dig in to his votes but for him to win 70 million maybe someone should turn the tables and start investigating voter fraud for Trump votes.

Oh we are.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-supporter-arrested-requesting-absentee-234948543.html
    Robert R. Lynn has been charged with felony counts of forgery and interference with an election

A Pennsylvania man has been arrested after allegedly forging the signature of his dead mother on an application for an absentee ballot.

Robert R. Lynn, 67, of Luzerne County has been charged with felony counts of forgery and interference with an election, The Huffington Post reports.

Lynn, a Republican and Trump supporter, is accused of requesting an absentee ballot for his mother Marie P. Hannigan, who died in 2015. The application noted Hannigan’s reason for the request as “visiting great-grandkids Oct. 24-Nov. 10,” the complaint states, according to the report

The application was also flagged because the signature reportedly did not match the one on file for Hannigan in the database of voter information. Election officials notified county detectives of the suspicious application.

When questioned by investigators, Lynn initially tried to blame a relative before later confessing to his misdeeds.

This is the first case of alleged voter fraud in the county in three decades.

“There’s always going to be people out there who are trying to take advantage of the system or cheat the system, but most importantly, there’s people on the other side making sure that doesn’t happen,” Luzerne County Manager David Pedri said.

“I hope that this case really proves as an example to any individual who’s thinking that they can do anything with regards to this election. People are watching these things,” Pedri added.

In 2017, the secretary of state in Georgia, one Brian Kemp, oversaw the illegitimate purging of voters from polls in the state to the tune of 700K people. Most from disenfranchised communities.

The 2018 election for Governor in the state of Georgia saw the winner emerge by a margin of about 50K. That winner was Brian Kemp....

Republicans have long had an interest in the legitimacy of the Democratic process but that largely stopped at only being concerned that they be the only ones to benefit from it.

It's not for a microsecond surprising that this was attempted, Bernie Sanders gave a play by play account of how it might go down before we got anywhere near the 3rd of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Trump needs to take his tablets along with many of his MAGA supporters with baseball caps and low loader trucks.

Worrying in a way that 70 or so million voted for this moron. Will the frenzy dissipate I wonder.

No. There's a huge segment of the population that's been disinformed by unscrupulous types for decades. Gullibility is a huge problem over there. That crowd will blindly follow the next "cause" that the angry white-grievance media and personalities cook up for them.

They went whole hog for an incompetent shyster like Trump. The next one will be a lot smarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

When people find that their generation and the next one will be less well off than the previous one, they are open to be preyed upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone know how the George races are going at the moment? Be interesting to know do the Dems have any chance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Headshot wrote: »
    Anyone know how the George races are going at the moment? Be interesting to know do the Dems have any chance?

If you check 538, both Democrats are polling ahead of their rivals, albeit not by a huge amount. So whether that'll translate into votes is anyone's guess. Especially given Georgia appears to be a disaster for voter enfranchisement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Headshot wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1338848804553027586

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Water John wrote: »
    When people find that their generation and the next one will be less well off than the previous one, they are open to be preyed upon.

Also, I know it isn't at the forefront of people's minds, but the fact that life expectancy in the US is decreasing is another indicator of things not being right in society. A problem his ex-mate Vlad shares with Trump.

• Advertisement

hirondelle wrote: »
    Also, I know it isn't at the forefront of people's minds, but the fact that life expectancy in the US is decreasing is another indicator of things not being right in society. A problem his ex-mate Vlad shares with Trump.

A dreadful indictment of the failure of "The American Dream" to do much other than put its people to sleep permanently ever sooner. In fact, its a Mega-Capitalist's dream: use people, fatten them up on cheap **** masquerading as food, then hook them on 'pain-killers' so they'll die from obesity and opioid overdoses and obviate any need for State-supported health and social care into old age. Life expectancy reached a peak in 2014 and has been on the decline since, without ever considering the effect that Covid will have on the figures.

On the other end, infant mortality is one of the highest among rich/developed countries which must surely make all those right wing 'pro-lifers' very happy. Make sure the woman is forced to carry pregnancies to full term, and then do SFA to help them after birth.

This is a read thats worth a look:

https://ourworldindata.org/us-life-expectancy-low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

No. There's a huge segment of the population that's been disinformed by unscrupulous types for decades. Gullibility is a huge problem over there. That crowd will blindly follow the next "cause" that the angry white-grievance media and personalities cook up for them.

They went whole hog for an incompetent shyster like Trump. The next one will be a lot smarter.

That is what is scary about what is going on in the US as they lurch further and further to the right as a country. They already at best IMHO are an oligarchy that is leaning towards authoritarianism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

A question for all of you:
    Suppose Trump were found guilty of serious crimes and his defence pleaded insanity - would you accept the plea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭amandstu

feargale wrote: »
    Suppose Trump were found guilty of serious crimes and his defence pleaded insanity - would you accept the plea?

Isn't the consensus that he has a severe character disorder?

That is not insane .He is aware of his actions but his priority is himself .

Whether his apparent inability to measure his words and actions against the (as close as possible) objective truth is actually insane is more debatable, but I would say "bad not mad" most accurately describes him and if there is any worthwhile sanction going around (ie should he be made an example when there are so few in his mould?) he should be first in line.

Seems selfish but public entertainment value might be favourized when choosing how to deal with him post election.

I suspect he will have been defanged in very short order thereafter and will be fit for his true vocation of public amuser.

(Maybe he will slip into true madness for our benefit )

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

If he were found to be legally and medically insane, and placed with appropriate treatment, then sure!

I can't imagine a world where that would happen though, so I'm not sure what we're going to learn from the question :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Surely they would need someone to make that assessment of him at the time, and that would then mean that medical professional, and all the ones around him now, would then be up on charges for not having removed him from office when it mattered. As Trump wouldn't have the power to pardon any of them it would be a risky move by anyone in a position to make that assessment.

I'm afraid that I reject your premise: You have framed the question as a plea AFTER having been found guilty of the crimes. If the insanity defense were to have any effect, it would need to have been argued and proven as valid to a Court's satisfaction such that the verdict would result in a NG by reason of insanity or similar. If you're found guilty, then by definition any earlier insanity defense has been rejected.

Absolutely not. He also said he was a very stable genius and that he passed a cognitive test.

He's a narcissist and while that might be a mental condition, it doesn't nor shouldn't absolve him from his actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Accredited by which exactly doctor, bearing in mind his loose familiarity with the truth. Especially when it comes medical reports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

duploelabs wrote: »
    Accredited by which exactly doctor, bearing in mind his loose familiarity with the truth. Especially when it comes medical reports

And it depends which court; the rules on pleading insanity are a mish-mash, some courts don't accept it for many defenses.

Advertisement