Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    And Anti-Semites....

Quite so. That was naive of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

The first two issues that need to be sorted are covid-19 and the big fracture between the two sides. BLM is next and urgent too.
    These issues will get the country behind you.

After that repairing relations with other countries is hugely important. You need to fix your house first though.

Gabriel Sterling gently eviscerating Trump in his live presser at the moment.

He is forthrightly answering all journalists questions of complaints of fraud with methodical, evidence based dismissal of those allegations.

He's an admirable chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Quite so. That was naive of me.

On the whole, it's an amazing development that a Black man and a Jewish man will represent the Peach State in the Senate, each being a first. Even 4 years ago, I would NEVER have considered such a possibility..

So, while we bemoan the state of politics in the Trump-infected USA, such a result must surely be seen as hopeful that it is not entirely rotten in the Deep South. Indeed, the way Georgia has taken such a seismic shift into the 21st Century and out of ante-bellum/Jim Crow thinking is a joy to behold, with notable fine doings across both parties.. People like Abrams and Raffensberger give me so much hope of actually working together. Excision of people like Loeffler and Perdue from the political ruling class allows me to think that, perhaps, the future of states like Georgia lies in the hands of the 90% rather than the 10%.

And, once the dying wasp that is Trump MAGA is consigned to the far right fringes, perhaps a very bright future exists for the whole country.
    I.Love.What.I.Am.Seeing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Quin_Dub wrote: »

You have to wonder looking at the different results in the two races - Who in hell voted for Warnock AND Perdue?

Utterly bizarre.

Not that bizarre.

Perdue was always going to do a little better with the supposed moderates who in turn would find the incredibly fake MAGA persona Loeffer has adopted absurd and voted for Warnock who also is man of the church lets not forget.

50/50 in the senate with Biden as president is not the end of the world for the GOP and Mitch would have taken it back in October. Their will be gridlock and the likes of Manchin and Sinema will vote against Biden now and then.

However the problem is how the hell do you unite the GOP?

The Zombie Reganism beloved by the Neocons is not the way but neither is Trumpism.

We are going to get a lot of primaries from Trumpers against supposed traitors, the MAGA mob will win the primaries and get smashed in the main election.

Example? 2022 ,,,Kemp will lose to Collins in the Primary who will preach about MAGA and then will get trounced by Abrams in the main race.

Going to be a brutal few years for them.

Ah well. **** happens.

• Advertisement

Agreed, I think righteous Americans are beginning to wake up and realise they all have to first make a choice between rule of law and the preeminence of the Constitution over transient party issues. Theres a long way to go but that can only be a good thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Gabriel Sterling gently eviscerating Trump in his live presser at the moment.

He is forthrightly answering all journalists questions of complaints of fraud with methodical, evidence based dismissal of those allegations.

He's an admirable chap.

Well......

He still voted for Trump and Perdue and Loeffler and would do so again if given the opportunity.

All that we can say about Sterling , along with Kemp and Raffensberger that at least they actually have a line that they won't cross , unlike Trump.

They are all still OK with voting for him and with doing the standard issue GOP voter suppression and/or gerrymandering stuff , but at least they won't commit actual fraud. It's something I guess.

But, we shouldn't be lauding them for not being criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Does this look like a billion people to anyone?

https://twitter.com/MilionMagaMarch/status/1346698839034634240

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Anyone else watch Schumer’s press conference? He was asked if Trump helped the Dems win in Georgia and couldn’t keep a straight face when answering.

It’s killing him to be a good winner.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Counting is not really a strong suit for them. We’ve seen that over the last few months.

• Advertisement

I demand a re-count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well......
    He still voted for Trump and Perdue and Loeffler and would do so again if given the opportunity.

All that we can say about Sterling , along with Kemp and Raffensberger that at least they actually have a line that they won't cross, unlike Trump.

They are all still OK with voting for him and with doing the standard issue GOP voter suppression and/or gerrymandering stuff , but at least they won't commit actual fraud. It's something I guess.

Well that and the backbone to push back when pressed. And not just unlike Trump, but a lot of other politicians like Rubio, Cruz, Graham... the list is endless of the spineless sycophants who couldn't u-turn quick enough or sell their morals fast enough.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's enough to worry about them carrying COVID back home with them in massive numbers =/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

salmocab wrote: »
    Counting is not really a strong suit for them. We’ve seen that over the last few months.

Math doesn't add up for Trump, in crowd numbers or in Election, no matter how many times he screams

I won a math's debate!
    I won a math's debate!
    I won a math's debate!
    I won a math's debate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Never mind a billion - it's also nowhere near a million! Looks maaaybe about 50 to 100,000 - or in recognisable visual terms, about one Slane castle concert. Which is impressive enough in fairness, until you go claiming it's 10 times bigger. But I guess they reeeeally wanted the alliteration...

Watching his speech live.
    Disastrous, rambling, conspiracy nonsense. Highlight is using the phrase 'BS' leading to the crowd chanting it back.

He sounds like a drunk in a bar talking about how wronged he has been at his job, by his wife and life in general.

Contradicting himself within the same sentences, tried to mock Mitt Romney through mimicry.

Surely the lowest point in the history of the office of the President of the United States of America in terms of diplomacy and imagery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

100,000 is more than enough to be worrying if a subset has a hankering for violence. The likes of Antifa would do well to sit this one out because violent Trump supporters wouldn't know what to do if they didn't have Antifa to justify their actions. But because Antifa is a decentralised organisation (and I use that term loosely), I'm sure the 'black bloc' will be along to bait the other side. It's basically America's equivalent of football hooliganism at this stage, except that, AFAIK, football firms weren't so big on guns.

Well......

All that we can say about Sterling , along with Kemp and Raffensberger that at least they actually have a line that they won't cross , unlike Trump.

I think you're being a bit unfair.

No one is saying they shouldn't be and vote as the Republicans that they are. And by the way, we have no idea how they voted. We know for instance that many registered Republicans voted for Biden nationwide.

What all those three people are doing however, is telling truth to power under tremendous pressure from an unhinged and tyrannical White House of their own party, while seeing their families and themselves being subjected to terrifying personal abuse and threats to their safety, from fascist subversive groups across America.

Thats how bad things are. Thats what I'm lauding them for doing.

PS, just look at Trumps remarks in the last few moments. Frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Ending his presidency how he started it, lying about the number of people that showed up in DC

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Ending his presidency how he started it, lying about the number of people that showed up in DC

Literally.
    In his speech, going on now, he said he wished they'd turn the cameras around to show the hundreds of thousands of people who are there all the way back to behind the Washington Monument. You can hear individual voices from the crowd when they cheer.

Worlds biggest loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Did I hear Trump correctly there when he said he will lead the protest down to where the EC vote is going to take place?

The entire population of Continental North and South America, i.e 35 nations from the tip of Arctic Canada to Cape Horn, including the Caribbean islands, is 1.001 billion. Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

Did I hear Trump correctly there when he said he will lead the protest down to where the EC vote is going to take place?

Trump says a lot of things. He said he was going to put Hillary in jail, but then went, "Nah...", afterward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Arizona objected, of course.

This will take all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Kiith wrote: »
    Arizona objected, of course.

This will take all night.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

There's gonna be a lot of pointless walking back and forth and debate. Such unnecessary drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

what an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

This will take days to finish

This will take days to finish

At least, both Pence and McConnell are holding fast to the Constitution which is a relief...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    At least, both Pence and McConnell are holding fast to the Constitution which is a relief...

They are in extreme damage control mode, they can see the trump fallout destroying the GOP

Advertisement