Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

20silkcut wrote: »
    Michigan still has a lot of counting but trump well ahead I wonder is there big urban centres left to be counted there that could swing it to Biden.

I think it is largely mail in left to be counted. So it will swing Biden but that is a big swing to make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Christy42 wrote: »
    I think it is largely mail in left to be counted. So it will swing Biden but that is a big swing to make up.

And msnbc is saying that that mail in vote will come in in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There is no way even with who is on the Supreme Court they will stop counting. There is too much precedent to allow it to happen hell even the drive in case has said all those votes are valid. The best that Trump will get is a 2 week order to have counts done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And msnbc is saying that that mail in vote will come in in bulk.

Which states are left to still announce/count mail in votes?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He's ahead by 8% in Michigan with 73% counted, would want to be a very big swing back to Biden.

But this isn’t an even spread across the state. A large chunk of those votes are in urban areas.

Detroit has only returned 41% so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

VinLieger wrote: »
    Which states are left to still announce/count mail in votes?

Pennsylvania have 1.5million of them yet to count (60%+ of all mail in ballots cast)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Allegheny county in Pennsylvania has suspended scanning of mail in votes until 2pm our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,881 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pennsylvania has only counted 39% mail votes, 1.5 million left of 2.5 to count,

Philadelphia still a question mark, with bulk of population

Long long way go, can't sleep with only 3 hours I managed, work is going to be challenging today :)
    8-10 wrote: »
    Pennsylvania have 1.5million of them yet to count (60%+ of all mail in ballots cast)
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Allegheny county in Pennsylvania has suspended scanning of mail in votes until 2pm our time.

Can tell the CNN livestream is popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'll happily say I was wrong with my predictions. Fascinating few days ahead, this is just like 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

What's more important to you, librul tears or democracy in USA being dismantled by Trump in real time?

Vote counting won't be stopped because Trump said so.

Winner will be fair and square. Let's hope the other side accepts it for the sake of democracy in the USA like mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Faugheen wrote: »
    But this isn’t an even spread across the state. A large chunk of those votes are in urban areas.

Detroit has only returned 41% so far
    And the Detroit area is splitting roughly 60/40 for Biden. The margin there could make it very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Vote counting won't be stopped because Trump said so.

Winner will be fair and square. Let's hope the other side accepts it for the sake of democracy in the USA like mentioned

Trump has said if he loses its fixed

He isn’t going to just accept it now

His proud boys comments, with this context, are frightening. He has already fanned the flames of violence without reason. Now his supporters could feel cheated

yeah i am picking up Biden will just scrape it now, this is from established journalists on th epolitical scale. Trump does my head in but i have no real political interest, so was just wondering. I would be tempted to take that 2/1 bet on Biden ha

I still don't see Georgia going for Biden. Assuming Trump takes Georgia then whoever gets 2/3 of WI, PA, MI wins the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Flicking between fox, cnn and BBC, BBC doing interesting takes in context of UK politics which matters to us.

Indeed, we want Biden to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What's more important to you, librul tears or democracy in USA being dismantled by Trump in real time?

:D

It's not Trump who tried to fix the election, son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Trump has said if he loses its fixed

He isn’t going to just accept it now

His proud boys comments, with this context, are frightening. He has already fanned the flames of violence without reason. Now his supporters could feel cheated

It was Democrat supporters in Antifa and BLM who were causing the violence.

Surely even that was apparent to you through the laughable news outlets who called this disastrously wrong.

Bonniedog wrote: »

You saw him essentially play the ‘blow it up ref’ card right

And that it’s GOP legislators who prevented early counting of mail in votes

Trump and his party have very much tried to ‘fix’ this election

It was Democrat supporters in Antifa and BLM who were causing the violence.

Surely even that was apparent to you through the laughable news outlets who called this disastrously wrong.

He called for far right militia groups to stand by

But yes that’s not inciting violence
    Of course not 🀷*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sad but not surprising to see so many falling for Trump's lies and propaganda re: fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Does Trump himself believe the voter fraud line, do ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

elefant wrote: »
    Does Trump himself believe the voter fraud line, do ye think?
    Based on his personality where the only truth is what he said last no matter his own contradictions which he ignore; of course he does. It also goes with his general personality that if reality does not match his view then reality has to be wrong because as far as Trump is concerned everything he does is perfect all the time. The scary part is all the sycophants around him who keep agreeing with him that's how things work and if facts and reality does not match then clearly it's fake news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Regardless of how it all ends, 65m+ have voted for that utter charlatan.
    America is fcuked regardless of what happens, all that's left to decide is how banjaxed it wants to be. The bipartisanship seems too entrenched now to be fixed anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Trump to win, its a sad time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

To an extent, it doesn't really matter now if Biden manages to scrape in. The only way Trumpism could be defeated at the ballot box was to have a resounding win. Without a decisive victory, America will keep willingly lurching into a version of autocracy. Their system and a large portion of their people want this.
    The lesson for other democracies is that democracy is hard and can fall quite easily if people and systems aren't engaged and vigilant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Trump has now received more raw votes than he did in 2016, after a 4 year dumpster fire.
    The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Without going down a rabbithole, there needs to be an analysis of why people voted for him.

I suspect there are a multitude of reasons, but what is clear is his primary base are non-college educated white males.

It appears the educational system over there has failed to teach critical thinking. Fox, Twitter, Facebook create echo chambers and people need to form their own opinions.

It is a long road back, if they ever come back at all.

retalivity wrote: »
    Trump has now received more raw votes than he did in 2016, after a 4 year dumpster fire.
    The mind boggles.

When he talked about the American economy and the low unemployment rates Americans listened while the media focused on how he drinks a bottle of water or his spray tan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

retalivity wrote: »
    The mind boggles.

And you'd have to think if it wasn't for a global pandemic he'd be home and hosed already.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Without going down a rabbithole, there needs to be an analysis of why people voted for him.

I suspect there are a multitude of reasons, but what is clear is his primary base are non-college educated white males.

It appears the educational system over there has failed to teach critical thinking. Fox, Twitter, Facebook create echo chambers and people need to form their own opinions.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/03/907433511/trumps-base-is-shrinking-as-whites-without-a-college-degree-continue-to-decline?t=1604480026480

That base you talk about is shrinking year on year yet he won more votes than in 2016 so it must be something else I would imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭crushproof

everlast75 wrote: »

100%, I think there's no u turn on the road unfortunately. The mind set isn't going to change.
    It's the same on the opposite side, my own echo chamber indicated Biden would win by a significant margin. Very difficult to find a middle ground media wise or social media wise these days.

Advertisement