Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

John must be gone for a nap, this new guy isn't a patch on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

elefant wrote: »
    And you'd have to think if it wasn't for a global pandemic he'd be home and hosed already.

Really early on the Exit Poll from CNN had the economy far above coronavirus in people's preferences for what matters most.

I'd have expected that from a Fox or conservative exit poll but when CNN said that was the split I was surprised. They also had 'has the pandemic been handled well?' as a 50-50 between yes and no.

It's the economy stupid

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Reminder of yesterday's mod warning

If you're just interested in trolling or abusing other people, open a Twitter account.
    Mod Note

Alright, I know it's election day and people are a bit excited, but please do read the charter and heed it. We don't want to have to issue any more sanctions.

Remember, this is a discussion and debate forum. Don't post if your post consists solely or mostly of:
    • Insults to other users or groups of users
    • Abuse of public figures
    • Tweets, links, videos
    • One liners or jokes

As a rule of thumb, unless your post consist of at least one paragraph of your own contribution, think twice before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Four more years of trump and then ivanka runs for office, he has already mentioned the idea so nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

everlast75 wrote: »
    I suspect there are a multitude of reasons, but what is clear is his primary base are non-college educated white males.

It appears the educational system over there has failed to teach critical thinking. Fox, Twitter, Facebook create echo chambers and people need to form their own opinions.

They did form their own opinions, they were just different to yours.

Third level education, particularly in the humanities, is an echo chamber far more powerful than Twitter and Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bonniedog wrote: »
    :D

It's not Trump who tried to fix the election, son.
    How so?

I only saw one side trying to get hundreds of thousands of ballots thrown out.
    One side had Louis Dejoy who pretty much did his best to slow down and dismantle the postal vote system.
    One side which tried to purposefully limit access to polling stations. Especially in traditional democratic leaning areas, leading to people queueing for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

harr wrote: »
    Four more years of trump and then ivanka runs for office, he has already mentioned the idea so nothing would surprise me.
    I think donald trump jr is more likely tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

America loves a Dynasty, I think it'll be Don Jnr not ivanka.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This is taken on the status in the battlegrounds in terms of when we can expect results/things being called from 538; looks like we got a long day ahead of us f5ing for updates.
    Here’s a look at what we know about the outstanding vote in each battleground state:

Arizona: While some outlets, such as the Associated Press, have projected Arizona for Biden, ABC News has not. Before the election, officials did warn that any super-close races might not be resolved until the last votes are counted on Thursday or Friday. However, the race isn’t that close right now (Biden 52 percent, Trump 47 percent), so we might see a projection sooner.

Wisconsin: 81 percent of the expected vote is already reporting here, and the rest should trickle in over the next few hours. Earlier tonight, Milwaukee County (expected to be among the last places to finish counting) said to expect semi-final results around 6 a.m. Eastern.

Georgia: The big holdup here is Fulton County, which as of 2 a.m. was home to most of the outstanding ballots. The count there was delayed by a burst pipe (no ballots were damaged), and election officials told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution their goal was to go into Wednesday with just 20,000 ballots left to count. However, the secretary of state estimated those results would not be released until the afternoon.

Michigan: There are still hundreds of thousands of absentee ballots to be counted here, and it’s unclear if counting will continue throughout the night. Election officials did say earlier on Tuesday that they expected counting to wrap up by Wednesday night.

Pennsylvania: Major counties such as Philadelphia and Allegheny have reported their last ballots of the night (although Philadelphia will continue to count around the clock). Going into the election, many county and state election officials predicted that results wouldn’t approach completion until Friday.

North Carolina: 95 percent of the expected vote has already been counted here, so it seems quite possible that all we’re waiting on are late-arriving mail-in ballots, which have until Nov. 12 to arrive. That means we could be waiting over a week for a call here.

Maine: Honestly, this is anyone’s guess. Election officials are taking much longer here than they originally expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

The biggest recruiter for Trump over the last 4 years are the people who cry "far-right racists!" whenever someone expresses concerns over that is happening in society unless it completely aligns with social media. I once asked something deemed unpopular on twitter and my employer was tagged and I was called a transphobe :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Without going down a rabbithole, there needs to be an analysis of why people voted for him.

I suspect there are a multitude of reasons, but what is clear is his primary base are non-college educated white males.

It appears the educational system over there has failed to teach critical thinking. Fox, Twitter, Facebook create echo chambers and people need to form their own opinions.

It is a long road back, if they ever come back at all.

“The uneducated....I lovvvve the uneducated”
    That statement of his stays with me forever. Explains everything.

Access to an equal level of education is as foundation of our democracy and we should cherish it. Never allow a two tier system like they did stateside, crowd management vs the well (privately) educated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fcukin hell. Went to bed late last night thinking Trump had this in the bag, now while you'd still fancy Trump, it's not over yet. Looking at Wisconsin and Michigan, the gaps that Biden is facing are really, really big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The rest of the world can laugh from afar but America is really being shown up for its lack of educated people

I think Biden will still win but this shouldnt have been even close. The buck stops with the democratic party, they are a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

The betting is moving again in Trumps favour.

Trump will get over the line and watching the dems cry for the next 4 years will be a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

kilns wrote: »
    The rest of the world can laugh from afar but America is really being shown up for its lack of educated people

I think Biden will still win but this shouldnt have been even close. The buck stops with the democratic party, they are a disaster

Regardless what way the election goes the Dems need to get rid of Pelosi and Schumer from the leadership both are awful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

shocksy wrote: »
    The betting is moving again in Trumps favour.

Trump will get over the line and watching the dems cry for the next 4 years will be a joy to watch.

This is it. The Dems have been talking about solutions to problems, the Reps seem to be only interested in seeing other people be sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is there a reason why msnbc haven’t called Arizona for Biden when others have called it for Biden. Did the others go too early ?

Bunch of Wisconsin votes just added. Trump 51.1% - 47.4% Biden. 94% counted. It's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Trump tightening his grip

Looks increasingly likely Biden is toast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Bunch of Wisconsin votes just added. Trump 51.1% - 47.4% Biden. 94% counted. It's over.

Has it been called yet ?

Edit: Milwaukee county still has mail in ballots to report.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Has it been called yet ?

Edit: Milwaukee county still has mail in ballots to report.

Milwaukee 99% reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

Without going down a rabbithole, there needs to be an analysis of why people voted for him.

It is a long road back, if they ever come back at all.
    Primarily, social media imho. Social media and its influence on US life was the greatest Trojan Horse from the perspective of those wanted to see the end of the US as a global power, since well the original Trojan Horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Christy42 wrote: »
    This is it. The Dems have been talking about solutions to problems, the Reps seem to be only interested in seeing other people be sad.

Its just an indication that a large portion the US just don't want democracy. They may want the trappings. The Sideshow Bob quote about what America really want rings true "you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalise criminals and rule you like a king!" They want this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

America to remain great Go trump !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,196 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not called yet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kilns wrote: »

I'd disagree; the buck always stop at the voter as that's the whole point of a democracy after all. The democratic party run a bland but stable candidate that there honestly was no real reason to hate (one of the often repeated reasons stated for 2016 that "Clinton was worse") by comparison to Trump; yet the electorate in a higher number decided to vote for Trump. That's either fanboi style "Party over reason" approach which is simply stupid no matter the side you cheer for or voters honestly believed Trump which is up to them to fact check that (i.e. if you wanted conservative judges above all else that's a valid reason to vote Trump while if you wanted the wall built along the border to Mexico paid by Mexico then yea, you've been fooled).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It looks as good as Over now , democrats only themselves to blame for this and it embarrassing for the party that they hadn’t someone decent to run against trump. They had 4 years and best they could come up with was Joe . This election shouldn’t have been even close to trump taking a second term.

Wisconsin is gone. Biden needs to win 80-20 to win Michigan. It's feckin done. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Paddy Power currently have Trump at 1/3 and Biden at 9/4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It looks as good as Over now , democrats only themselves to blame for this and it embarrassing for the party that they hadn’t someone decent to run against trump. They had 4 years and best they could come up with was Joe . This election shouldn’t have been even close to trump taking a second term.

Why are people saying its over, isnt there literally millions of postal votes to be counted, which could be carry Biden over the line (barely)

But yeah either way, its not a great show for the Democrats in what should have been an easy win.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Advertisement