Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Wisconsin and Michigan are enough for Biden.

Georgia/NC/PA wont matter..

I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We could be getting a Nevada result soon

https://twitter.com/nvelect/status/1323931489503830017?s=21

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What can Trump's play be in court - challenge the legitimacy of the mail in numbers, claim fraud somewhere? Will he need to have evidence of that (and will he have it)?

Sorry, just curious as to what happens with the threat of the Supreme Court from Trump.

It will be a combination of all those things.

In Pennsylvania it will be focused on the recent ruling that said that any ballot post marked by election but received afterwards (up to 3 days later I think it was) can be counted. He'll be looking to have that overturned.

In WI it was about a bunch of ballots that had been found to have admin errors (typos and the like) , but that were "corrected" and then allowed to be included.

They'll also be doing the usual stuff like poring over each and every ballot trying to find technical breaches that they can get them tossed for - If you're old enough to remember Florida 2000 , think of the "hanging chads" issues there.

Trumps hope is that if the local level courts find against him that he can a kick the appeal up to the SCOTUS and that his freshly minted Justice will do him a solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Even "if"Biden wins, we will have at least 2 more years of Mitch sitting on his bruised hands when it comes to crucial Bills to be passed.

It really is the hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Biden needs 2 out of the 4 from Wisconson Pennsylvania Georgia and Michigan. Trump says he will go to court if he loses, he's a Fascist that doesn't respect democracy. If Trump happens to win he should be impeached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Looks like PA will be out of reach, so Biden has to win Wisconsin, Nevada and Michigan to squeak through with 270.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

and that with Wisconsin is Biden in the white house(Assuming NV is blue, which it should be)

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I really want Biden to win, or really anyone but Trump but I had a feeling yesterday this wasn't going to be so easy as some people thought it would be for Biden.

Winning a second term and knowing he can do what ever the hell he wants is actually scarier prospect than Trumps first term.

I think America will descend even further in to civil division.

I think, if he wins, he will be a one term president and step aside for Kamala in 24. She will then be challenged in the primary, and they may eventually find a good candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I really want Biden to win, or really anyone but Trump but I had a feeling yesterday this wasn't going to be so easy as some people thought it would be for Biden.

Winning a second term and knowing he can do what ever the hell he wants is actually scarier prospect than Trumps first term.

That being said Dem's control congress and are likely to maintain control, even if Trump edges out victory 2 of those year's he'd be limited what he can do. Senate as of this post is 47/47. If Dem's can get at least 50+ Biden victory it's enough to at least restore a working goverment over there but it's gonna be a tight race.

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »

I think?

Yes. Hopefully he'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭crushproof

Paddy Power current has them both at 10/11.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think?

Any combination of two from the remaining States would be enough for Biden - Assuming he takes Nevada , he needs 26 EC votes to get to 270.

Brian? wrote: »
    20pt delta? What are you talking about?

I still think Trump is looking likely, but it’s matter of one or 2 states.

Was gonna say I thought Biden was favourite, he's just gone favourite with the bookies again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And some Irish-based posters see this as preferable because they get to "own the libs".

The cesspool of bigotry and hate that Trump has unleashed on this planet by legitimising the ugliness of some aspects of humanity has been his legacy. There's no way we can have another 4 years of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Larbre34 wrote: »
    WI: Trump is +100k, but there are 700k votes still to count
    PA: Trump is +700k, but 1.8m to count
    MI: Trump is +300k, but 1.8m to count
    NC: Trump is +77k, but 300k to count
    GA: Trump is +100k, but 450k to count

Keep in mind, those are mostly early/mail votes that favour Biden.

So Biden need 2/3 of the votes or close to in these. Is that likely?

Biden now 8/11 favourite again with the bookies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭josip

kilns wrote: »
    The rest of the world can laugh from afar but America is really being shown up for its lack of educated people

I think Biden will still win but this shouldnt have been even close. The buck stops with the democratic party, they are a disaster

Are you saying that the Democratic Party are responsible for the lack of educated people in the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

crushproof wrote: »
    So what?
    Paddy Power have no information on the election.

They're moving a market that's dictated by people reacting to what's happening`on TV.

There's no insight or experts there.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Even "if"Biden wins, we will have at least 2 more years of Mitch sitting on his bruised hands when it comes to crucial Bills to be passed.

I'll take that over the current situation.

• Advertisement

crushproof wrote: »

Biden is favourite again. I backed him when he was favourite before the count and before Trump went favourite.:pac: Trump was 1/7 at one point last night. Doesn't matter about the bet so long as Biden wins. Fingers crossed.

snailsong wrote: »
    So Biden need 2/3 of the votes or close to in these. Is that likely?

He picked up over 80% of a bunch of votes that came in in one go in Wisconsin. I wouldn't have thought it possible til I saw that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

josip wrote: »
    Are you saying that the Democratic Party are responsible for the lack of educated people in the US?

He's saying that it's Democratic Party's fault for picking Biden. Let's be fair, he's probably a safe pair of hands but he's not a very inspiring candidate.

And endless Senate investigations into Hunter and Ukraine.

Although some might say turnabout is fair game on that front...

He's saying that it's Democratic Party's fault for picking Biden. Let's be fair, he's probably a safe pair of hands but he's not a very inspiring candidate.

The US needs a safe pair of hands after 4 years of Trump.

Cmon Wisconsin!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Regardless of how these counts end up, this has been a shocking election overall. The Senate races went pathetically for the Dems and a Biden presidency is severely constrained by Senate Majority Leader the self proclaimed Grim Reaper. The GOP can block everything for the next few years until a more polished Trump comes along (Cotton, Hawley etc).

If the Dems didn’t retake the Senate this time with weak incumbents (Tillis) unliveable incumbents (Collins, Graham, Sullivan) or stronger red state candidates (Bullock), it’s difficult to see a path to them ever retaking it at this stage. They can’t win back the Senate relying on blue states to return 2 Senators across the board. After this election, they have five senators across purple or red states (WI, PA, WV, MT, OH). The Senate will be split across party lines based on State voting. It’s effectively paralysed.

I dont see who the Trump supporters can in any way claim victory at this stage?

It's just pure trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Trump has drifted to 1/1 from 1/5 on paddy power over night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭jasonb

The way I see it, assuming that Biden gets Nevada (which is looking probable) and gets the last EV from Maine (also looking probable), that leaves him on 245, and he needs 25 to hit 270.

There will be 5 states left (Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennslyvania, North Carolina and Georgia) - if he takes any two of them, he wins. If Trump takes any four of them, he wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The Senate maybe an interesting one if no party has an overall majority the others may have a part to play which may see Mitch out

Advertisement