Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Keano wrote: »
    Really??

No.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Trumps lead is enough to call it, they know he can't lose .

It Trumps lead was enough to call it, FOX news would have called it.

You're factually wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It really isn't though.

He could well have won it, but eh, it isn't close enough to do so.

If you're taking that logic you may as well call AZ, WI and MI for Biden. You won't do that of course.

Do you think they should declare States that haven't counted their substantial urban areas?

Seems a bit premature.

States dont really declare until much later, the get called based on the fact that there is no path to victory in that state for the individual who is trailing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

His lead is not enough to call it.

• Advertisement

What lead? Where?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

circadian wrote: »
    One of the initiatives that will have an interesting outcome in the next few years is in Virginia. If you look at the electoral map it's been gerrymandered so much it makes absolutely no sense.

"Virginia Question 1. Establish Redistricting Commission
    Moves the drawing of the state's congressional and legislative districts from the state legislature to a redistricting commission composed of state legislators and citizens."

Passed by a landslide.

To me it’s utterly insane that this isn’t the case nationally. I mean I know *why* that is, but the gerrymandering situation combined with the ridiculous Senate seat-population, and the undemocratic Electoral College really underscore an ugly truth about Republicans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Trumps little accusational speech earlier really seals it for me, they know, Biden has to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭McFly85

What lead? He’s behind in called electoral votes and the popular vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭This is it

People are dreaming, CNN trying to not declare anything, lets just squeeze another few hours, another few minutes with this dream of winning. Tears in their eyes. It's done, Trump won, and got more votes than last time.

There were far more votes cast so you'd expect him to get more than last time, but more than last time doesn't mean a win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm only thinking out loud here but with Trump going to courts etc. would this be considered a good thing as he (and his staff) would be focused on court cases they are likely to lose instead of burning the land around them in preparation of Biden coming in so to speak?

States dont really declare until much later, the get called based on the fact that there is no path to victory in that state for the individual who is trailing

Are You asking me or telling me?

Read what I was responding to.

Pennsylvania starting to tighten.

they/them/theirs

Nody wrote: »
    I'm only thinking out loud here but with Trump going to courts etc. would this be considered a good thing as he (and his staff) would be focused on court cases they are likely to lose instead of burning the land around them in preparation of Biden coming in so to speak?

I theory, but the courts are so stacked from a GOP standpoint you couldn't guarantee their impartiality atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

MJohnston wrote: »
    To me it’s utterly insane that this isn’t the case nationally. I mean I know *why* that is, but the gerrymandering situation combined with the ridiculous Senate seat-population, and the undemocratic Electoral College really underscore an ugly truth about Republicans

The Senate isn't ridiculous. Dems used to win seats in rural states but then they decided to swing left and lose all of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Keano wrote: »
    Really??
    Not even slightly.

It's not the landslide it really should have been. But Biden has it by a small margin.

Unfortunately, because it was close, the result will undoubtedly be contested. But going into 2021 it looks like America will be able to relax somewhat and take a break. Hopefully the democratic party will use the opportunity they have now to really invest in education and spend the next eight years ensuring their public gets every benefit from their leadership. But whether that will happen very much remains to be seen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I really want Biden to win, or really anyone but Trump
    No you don't.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/1104/1175817-kanye-west/

Are You asking me or telling me?

Read what I was responding to.

Was responding to the conversation on the suggestion states declare while still counting

Brian? wrote: »

That's a serious drop for a half hour. Wow.

It's still on.

Only 56% of Philly reported.

The Senate isn't ridiculous. Dems used to win seats in rural states but then they decided to swing left and lose all of it.

I don’t think you really read what I wrote. I’m saying the Senate seat to state population ratio is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Reposting this mod warning for the third time

Mod Note

Reminder of yesterday's mod warning

If you're just interested in trolling or abusing other people, open a Twitter account.
    Mod Note

Alright, I know it's election day and people are a bit excited, but please do read the charter and heed it. We don't want to have to issue any more sanctions.

Remember, this is a discussion and debate forum. Don't post if your post consists solely or mostly of:
    • Insults to other users or groups of users
    • Abuse of public figures
    • Tweets, links, videos
    • One liners or jokes

As a rule of thumb, unless your post consist of at least one paragraph of your own contribution, think twice before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It’s getting interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,286 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kiith wrote: »
    It Trumps lead was enough to call it, FOX news would have called it.

You're factually wrong.

I'm just saying it's done, same way the polls had Trump far far behind in PA, MH,OH.

His path is so much easier right now, while yesterday Biden had 400 paths, and Trump has 3. Exaggerated , but you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

circadian wrote: »
    I think if Trump wins but Biden has a massive majority of popular vote then there'll be people on the streets, everyone is already so wound up. Not to mention Trump is not a gracious winner by any means so he'll happily stoke that fire.
    I doubt it. That side of the aisle just don't have that in them.

Trump lost 2016 by nearly 3m votes and there was barely a whimper. Trump could lose by 10m votes, take the electoral college and Democrats would say, "Our system is a farce, but I'm still going to respect the outcome because it's our system".

If the Supreme Court stopped the count and Trump secured the White House using military force, the Democrats would eventually make some noises about accepting the outcome of the courts and moving on.

On the other side of the aisle, if Biden took the White House despite losing the popular vote by a few thousand votes, there'd be armed lunatics in the streets claiming fraud, claiming the election had been stolen and claiming that it's a coup by the Democrats.

This is functionally the problem. One side continually takes the "play by the rules, stand by your principles" stance, the other lies, cheats and steals every chance it can get.

You cannot win a game when you're the only person playing by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm just saying it's done, same way the polls had Trump far far behind in PA, MH,OH.

His path is so much easier right now, while yesterday Biden had 400 paths, and Trump has 3. Exaggerated , but you get me.

Nobody gets you, this is all nonsense. Are you trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Trumps little accusational speech earlier really seals it for me, they know, Biden has to have it

Yep, looks like he was covering his ass so that he can go to court in case he didn't win. Ultimately he doesn't respect democracy. He's a fascist. Hopefully a losing fascist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,286 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

elefant wrote: »
    Nobody gets you, this is all nonsense. Are you trolling?

No not trolling. I just feel there are so many ''red'' counties to be counted, hard to see them going for Biden regardless of mailed voted.

seamus wrote: »

Trump lost 2016 by nearly 3m votes and there was barely a whimper. Trump could lose by 10m votes, take the electoral college and Democrats would say, "Our system is a farce, but I'm still going to respect the outcome because it's our system".

If the Supreme Court stopped the count and Trump secured the White House using military force, the Democrats would eventually make some noises about accepting the outcome of the courts and moving on.

On the other side of the aisle, if Biden took the White House despite losing the popular vote by a few thousand votes, there'd be armed lunatics in the streets claiming fraud, claiming the election had been stolen and claiming that it's a coup by the Democrats.

This is functionally the problem. One side continually takes the "play by the rules, stand by your principles" stance, the other lies, cheats and steals every chance it can get.

Look at all the calls for bipartisanship when it looked like Biden would win in a landslide and the Dems would take the senate. It's the classic GOP play.

And the Dems fall for it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Where are you seeing that? I thought they were done counting for the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

seamus wrote: »

There was repeated marches across the country for a few weeks. Didn't achieve much but wouldn't call it a whimper.

Advertisement