Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm not sure if it's trolling or just plain delusion, but folks calling Trump as the winner on here should ignore CNN and the other major media outlets and stick with a trusted source. I'm following The Associated Press (via Google) amongst others. https://www.google.com/search?q=us+presidential+election+2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The story unfolding has been, to be fair, fascinating. I woke at 3am last night, Biden was well ahead. Woke again (neither wake was intentional!) at 5.30am and awake since. At that stage, Trump was steaming ahead and I really thought Biden was a goner.

Cut to 11am and its reversed for the candidates, looking like Trump will struggle over the line if he's to make it. And his speech last night is absolutely his backup plan in case Biden edges it. It reeked of desperation and poor-me, even more than his usual speeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

MJohnston wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that? I thought they were done counting for the day

Just popped up on CNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

We have a whole thread devoted to Trump that's in its 12th iteration and he's done so much good that you've never darkened its door to tell us all about it.

Amazing how the rats have suddenly returned to the ship in the last couple of hours.

Christ Bonnie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do we have any idea of when the swing states will have the vote by mail done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,818 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

People are dreaming, CNN trying to not declare anything, lets just squeeze another few hours, another few minutes with this dream of winning. Tears in their eyes. It's done, Trump won, and got more votes than last time.

Christ Toby... and I thought your Liverpool posts were nuts! :pac:

So far from done right now, and if I had to pick a winner from what where are are currently, it’d be Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trumps little accusational speech earlier really seals it for me, they know, Biden has to have it
    That's what I'm thinking.

The Republican number-crunchers are either calling it for Biden or calling it way to close to call.

If they had any confidence that Trump had it in the bag, he wouldn't have tried to claim that the count needs to stop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm just saying it's done, same way the polls had Trump far far behind in PA, MH,OH.

His path is so much easier right now, while yesterday Biden had 400 paths, and Trump has 3. Exaggerated , but you get me.

Trump has one path. Win all the states in the rust belt.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TP_CM wrote: »
    Christ Bonnie!

Apologies. It's in its 8th iteration.

The Senate isn't ridiculous. Dems used to win seats in rural states but then they decided to swing left and lose all of it.

Republicans have an in built advantage in the senate. Overall if every state was to run Senate elections on the same night, ,they would probably need to win at least 53-47 on national basis to win a majority of seats. The fact that this advantage was once in favour of the Democrats is irrelevant, its bad for democracy. A simple step could be taken to correct it however - Statehood for DC and Puerto Rico. No way the republicans would allow this however, disenfranchising large numbers of US citizens is one of their key values at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Went to bed for 4 hours and it looks like the only state to be called in the intervening time was Maine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,720 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Michigan numbers are looking good for Biden, Detroit is in and Trump's advantage down to just 1.5, more votes likely to swing Democrat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Republicans have an in built advantage in the senate. Overall if every state was to run Senate elections on the same night, ,they would probably need to win at least 53-47 on national basis to win a majority of seats. The fact that this advantage was once in favour of the Democrats is irrelevant, its bad for democracy. A simple step could be taken to correct it however - Statehood for DC and Puerto Rico. No way the republicans would allow this however, disenfranchising large numbers of US citizens is one of their key values at this stage

Statehood for DC is stupid. Dems should just figure out how to win in rural states again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Over 210,000 postal votes still to be counted in Philly, and a decent chunk of those are expected to be for Biden.

Probably still not enough though.

Statehood for DC is stupid. Dems should just figure out how to win in rural states again.

Why do citizens of DC not get to elect Senators, and what about Puerto Rico?

Because they would vote blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Give DC senators. Reps should figure out how to win big cities.

I get Republicans seem to not like Democrats voting but it is weird that there are US citizens not at all represented in the senate.

DC is a federal district. Puerto Rico is a territory and they have apply for statehood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kiith wrote: »
    Because they would vote blue.

Pretty much. It's horrifying that so many people are content with suppresing the votes of people they disagree with.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Christy42 wrote: »
    Give DC senators. Reps should figure out how to win big cities.

I get Republicans seem to not like Democrats voting but it is weird that there are US citizens not at all represented in the senate.

Reps don't need to win in big cities if they have the suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Brian? wrote: »
    Anyone with this level of certainty has no clue what they’re talking about.

It can go either way.

Honest question here, I honestly don't have a clue nor do I pretend to, how can it go either way, from what I can see Trump is leading in most of the larger remaining electoral votes states, will that not be enough to push him over the line?

I can only see Biden ahead in NV, WI, AZ, which are low enough electoral votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I don't usually follow the entire results of US elections but I've been flicking through all the stations to get a feel for what the left and right wing stations are saying, and keeping it on in the background since the very start.
    It's really startling how little if any coverage is being given to the Congress elections, even as filler content.

Is the level of interest in filling of congress seats always this low or is this a side effect of the Trump show?

Loughc wrote: »
    Honest question here, I honestly don't have a clue nor do I pretend to, how can it go either way, from what I can see Trump is leading in most of the larger remaining electoral votes states, will that not be enough to push him over the line?

The only real question now is how many of the uncounted votes are mail in votes, which heavily favour Biden. Mail in votes are counted last in many areas.

Those may push him ahead in some key areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People are dreaming, CNN trying to not declare anything, lets just squeeze another few hours, another few minutes with this dream of winning. Tears in their eyes. It's done, Trump won, and got more votes than last time.

You're skewing info.

Biden so far has gotten more votes than Clinton in 2016.

He has 68.7m compared to Clinton's 65.8 and there's lots more to come.

Trump's vote now at 66.5m compared to 62.9 in 2016.

It reflects higher turnout more than anything and Biden is going to win the irrelevant popular vote.

Michigan is close now. Detroit just reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Loughc wrote: »

He has chances in Michigan and Georgia as votes from large urban Democratic strongholds and postal votes which are supposed to be mostly for Democrats are still to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Trump is only 64 thousand ahead in Michigan, so Biden is catching up

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Michigan is close now. Detroit just reported.

Is it enough? Could be just about enough.

Michigan+Wi+NV+Az= President Biden

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Trump is only 60k ahead in Michigan.

Advertisement