Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Faugheen wrote: »
    There isn’t a snowballs chance in hell Trump wins Wisconsin.

There is literally zero scenarios where he wins there if Biden is picking up Georgia. If Biden wins Georgia, he’s winning Wisconsin by double digits and is picking up Pennsylvania, North Carolina and possibly Florida too.

The amount of people who just go out on a whim here astounds me.

Yea well Polls had Clinton winning Wisconsin, supposedly 83.5% Clinton. That didn't work out too well. People in the sticks don't take polls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Canice Picklington

droidus wrote: »
    It depends a lot on NPA's, how many Rep's break for Biden and total turnout, however Wasserman says that if Trump is 62% or lower at their 7pm reporting dump then he's probably lost Florida and therefore the election.

Live updates on Florida here if anyone wants the real numbers:

https://tqv.vrswebapps.com/?state=FL&county=pin
    I clicked into that link, it's Pinellas County, Florida, a big swing county on the west coast of Florida near Tampa.

In 2016 Trump won it 239k to 233k.

In 2012 Obama won it 239k to 213k.

It's currently at 72.30% turnout - 514k of an eligible 711k voters have voted.

Currently, Republican registered voters hold a very slender advantage over Democratic registered voters - 194k to 193k - just 762 of a gap in actual numbers.

118k registered independents have voted.

Just 58k of those 514k votes came today, though obviously there is half the day yet to go.

Of course a lot will depend on the independent voters - but based on those figures in a big swing county, I would be very cautiously optimistic for Biden?

Page is updating every ten minutes with new figures.

Thoughts?

Edit: For comparison: in 2016, 193k registered Republicans voted compared to 183k Democrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

MJohnston wrote: »
    FF are only left-wing in an American sense. FF are centre-right for most things and Leo has FG heading off to the far right.

Here's a good couple of maps for you:

Labor on the right?
    That discredits your entire post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I clicked into that link, it's Pinellas County, Florida, a big swing county on the west coast of Florida near Tampa.

In 2016 Trump won it 239k to 233k.

In 2012 Obama won it 239k to 213k.

It's currently at 72.30% turnout - 514k of an eligible 711k voters have voted.

Currently, Republican registered voters hold a very slender advantage over Democratic registered voters - 194k to 193k - just 762 of a gap in actual numbers.

118k registered independents have voted.

Just 58k of those 514k votes came today, though obviously there is half the day yet to go.

Of course a lot will depend on the independent voters - but based on those figures in a big swing county, I would be very cautiously optimistic for Biden?

Page is updating every ten minutes with new figures.

Thoughts?

I don't know enough about Florida partisan voting time distribution TBH. At this stage I would say its potentially good, but we'll have to wait until midnight to know for sure. Certainly the chimes of doom from trump supporters seem misguided at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Interesting decision by long suffering Judge Sullivan.

https://twitter.com/MMineiro_CNS/status/1323671683169984512?s=20

Hopefully it will result if more votes being counted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The above tweet suggest that they don't have Miami data in the figures - If I understand the * comments.

Miami is heavily Democrat is it not?

Within 10%. (55-45)

Clinton did much better than the average Democrat there, looking at the 2016 results for Senator, representative, etc. She got some 64% of the Presidential vote, but that was not typical for the rest of the balloting.

https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/FL/Dade/64620/184069/en/summary.html

Florida Hispanics tend to lean more Republican than those in other locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In the age of soundbite sized news segments, this is fantastic

https://twitter.com/OmarBaddar/status/1323488979619139585?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The American election system is flawed.

Voting allowed weeks before election day, counting postal ballots that are date stamped before Election Day.

Going through election rolls to disenfranchise voters.

It's a recipe for manipulation and fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

everlast75 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/OmarBaddar/status/1323488979619139585?s=20

Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ELM327 wrote: »
    Labor on the right?
    That discredits your entire post

Almost all of your posts are discredited for constantly referring to Biden and Harris as "leftists".

There's a complete lack of nuance in the understanding of the political spectrum in Ireland which is clearly affected by your absorption of American norms.

You have to remember that a thread on a politics board in Ireland is likely to have a majority of posters fron a social democratic bent, y'know, cos Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

everlast75 wrote: »

I got as far as "He praised Neo-Nazis in Charlottesville as fine people" - seems some will never accept that President Trump said "and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned totally".

Meanwhile, in PA, they've at least started to take down some of the signs:

https://twitter.com/MichaelCoudrey/status/1323650244970647557

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Canice Picklington

St. Pete polls released a poll of just Pinellas County, Florida yesterday - they're based in St. Petersburg, which is in the county - which put Biden 54-45 up.

Trump win it by 1-2% last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The above tweet suggest that they don't have Miami data in the figures - If I understand the * comments.

Miami is heavily Democrat is it not?

And one of the most populous areas in the state.

I got as far as "He praised Neo-Nazis in Charlottesville as fine people" - seems some will never accept that President Trump said "and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned totally".

That should make a huge difference.

You're making such a big deal about these signs. It's almost like they're the most heinous crime commited in this election thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You often see people pop up and say things like "I'm no fan of Trump but...." whilst giving a full-throated support of Trump, his policies or tearing Biden to bits often while regurgitating talking points that are circulating in the Trump media universe.

The thing I wonder is, are they:

(a) adopting the facade of a neutral observer in the belief that this will make their opinions more credible than if they were not to declare that they were not a fan of Trump

or

(b) simply deluding themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Apparently not illegal as it wasn't near the voting room (still stupid, but their election laws a complete mess).

You often see people pop up and say things like "I'm no fan of Trump but...." whilst giving a full-throated support of Trump, his policies or tearing Biden to bits often while regurgitating talking points that are circulating in the Trump media universe.

(a) adopting the facade of a neutral observer in the belief that this will make their opinions more credible than if they were not to declare that they were not a fan of Trump

or

After 4 years of this and looking at the boards residents, I'm gonna plump for the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

or

Ah no, they simply believe they can delude you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

or

(c) Driven by a hatred of all things liberal and don't care who the victor is, what they stand for as long as it isn't someone who conceivably could argue for people being treated fairly or there being a need for a change in environmental practices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yea well Polls had Clinton winning Wisconsin, supposedly 83.5% Clinton. That didn't work out too well. People in the sticks don't take polls.

It's not about the polls it about the correlation - There's no scenario where Biden takes Georgia but loses Wisconsin , the dynamics of it just make no sense.

If Biden has enough to take Georgia a far "redder" states than WI , he doesn't lose WI.

Either he wins both , loses both or just wins Wisconsin narrowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Haha Joe is done in the domain name

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So the system works?

Why aren't you upset about the GOP trying to invalidate 117,000 votes in Texas? Or a North Carolina Sheriff pepper spraying black people marching to the polls.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't think those numbers mean what you think they mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No, 118k more republicans have voted than democrats so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

LOL at the url, 100% trustworthy source I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This is a handy page where you can see what times polls close in different state. You can select to see the times in London GMT.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/politics/polls-close.html

Another handy one is 538's analysis of each state regarding the counting of early mail ballots
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-results-timing/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

circadian wrote: »
    LOL at the url, 100% trustworthy source I assume.

Figures look reasonable.

Assumptions that they tell us how people actually voted don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What about the 2.2m unaffiliated? Are you excluding them altogether.

Advertisement