Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    If Biden squeaks in with just 270 electoral votes I can't see Trump ever conceding in any circumstance.

One of the reasons i despise the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

Brian? wrote: »
    I just threw on OAN for the craic, they are accepting a Trump loss and talking about him running again in 2024 with Nigel Farage. Bizarro world.

I'd like for that to happen just for the visual of Farage out meeting Detroit voters in flat cap and hunting jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,720 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is boards.ie very slow loading for anybody else ?

Not as slow as today's count though.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

AMKC wrote: »
    So Joe Bidden is now the most popular candidate in US history as he has won more votes than any candidate in US history so it's only right that he should become the 46th President of the USA.

I am looking forward to seeing what fresh ideas the young go getter can bring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Infini wrote: »
    Michican is pretry certain at this point for Biden but Pennsylvania is the key, if Biden can manage to flip it in his favour this contest is done without a doubt as thats one of the big catches.
    Not quite, with wisconsin done, if Biden takes Michigan he would only need the 6 EC votes from Nevada to win. Or Georgia's 16. Or North Carolinas 18 (I think it is?). Or indeed Pennsylvania.

If I'm right, Nevada is very strongly looking in Bidens favour since he's leading already with I believe almost entirely mail in voting (which he is dominating nationwide, with Trump dominating in person votes) remaining.

The last 12 hours have slowly been eroding at Trumps remaining chances. He's not done yet, but the window is very much closing on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,272 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I just threw on OAN for the craic, they are accepting a Trump loss and talking about him running again in 2024 with Nigel Farage. Bizarro world.

How do they expect to overturn the natural-born citizen and 14 year residency terms without the presidency or the House?

Or were they talking about it with Nigel Farage as in talking with Nigel Farage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not as slow as today's count though.

Well played sir. Take a bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Trump has ‘declared victory’ in Pennsylvania as the ‘legal votes’ have been counted.

L1011 wrote: »
    How do they expect to overturn the natural-born citizen and 14 year residency terms without the presidency or the House?

Or were they talking about it with Nigel Farage as in talking with Nigel Farage?

Does the constitution/or laws require the VP candidate to meet the same standard as a presidential candidate ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not quite, with wisconsin done, if Biden takes Michigan he would only need the 6 EC votes from Nevada to win. Or Georgia's 16. Or North Carolinas 18 (I think it is?). Or indeed Pennsylvania.

If I'm right, Nevada is very strongly looking in Bidens favour since he's leading already with I believe almost entirely mail in voting (which he is dominating nationwide, with Trump dominating in person votes) remaining.

The last 12 hours have slowly been eroding at Trumps remaining chances. He's not done yet, but the window is very much closing on him.

Exactly - There are 6 States still undeclared.

Biden needs 22 Votes , Trump needs 56

Alaska - 6 Votes - Definite Trump

Then you have the 5 that are in play to varying degrees

Nevada - 6 Votes - Currently looking likely for Biden
    Michigan - 16 Votes - Currently looking likely for Biden
    North Carolina - 15 Votes - Currently looking likely for Trump
    Georgia - 16 Votes - Trump currently leading , but Biden closing rapidly
    Pennsylvania - 20 Votes - Trump currently leading , but Biden closing rapidly

Biden can win with any combination of two of the five above , Trump needs at least three , unless one of them is Nevada then he needs four out of the five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,560 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

According to CNN these votes are mail in votes which could be good news for Biden

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Does the constitution/or laws require the VP candidate to meet the same standard as a presidential candidate ?

Yes - They have to be able to assume the Office of President if required so they have to meet the requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭eire4

Biden doesn't need PA. Which is good, because he won't win it IMO

It is starting to look that way although all still very tight and I think one way or another Pennsylvania will end up very close as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Patser

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Trump has ‘declared victory’ in Pennsylvania as the ‘legal votes’ have been counted.

From Sky News live text:

20:37

Trump campaign declares victory in Pennsylvania, despite results not complete

Donald Trump's campaign has claimed victory in Pennsylvania, despite the counting of votes there not being complete.

The 20 electoral college votes afforded to the state are still in competition.

He's into desperation now, and trying to muddy everything up and drag the whole process into the dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

His fall will surely be a glorious one for so many.

I see the situation in Detroit is looking is looking tense in the polling station with a lot of "monitors" trying to get in after some people have been removed for their behaviour. Attempted intimidation of poll workers is patriotic in some weird trumpland way obviously.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

GOP Arizona rep Paul Gosar has put out a call to Trump supporters to rally in front of Maricopa County election center :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Tbh sleepy Joe could be going for a permanent slumber slap bang in the middle of his term given his age and condition.

Biden's age certainly does count against him, but given the only other serious candidate is almost as old, it's a concern either way and is therefore just a reality of the race as it stands.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yes - They have to be able to assume the Office of President if required so they have to meet the requirements

I know that but I’d never seen where it talks about the VP like the president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭paul71

Headshot wrote: »
    According to CNN these votes are mail in votes which could be good news for Biden

And they are pretty much all in Los Vegas, safe enough for Biden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Exactly - There are 6 States still undeclared.

Biden needs 22 Votes , Trump needs 56

Alaska - 6 Votes - Definite Trump

Then you have the 5 that are in play to varying degrees

Nevada - 6 Votes - Currently looking likely for Biden
    Michigan - 16 Votes - Currently looking likely for Biden
    North Carolina - 15 Votes - Currently looking likely for Trump
    Georgia - 16 Votes - Trump currently leading , but Biden closing rapidly
    Pennsylvania - 20 Votes - Trump currently leading , but Biden closing rapidly

Biden can win with any combination of two of the five above , Trump needs at least three , unless one of them is Nevada then he needs four out of the five.

Alaska is 3 votes only not 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭eire4

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Biden has routes to take to win that do not include PA.

Overall I think it has turned out pretty well that Trump is trailing in a few states and hoping for late counts to turn things around. If it was just Biden chasing then I feel there would be more attempts to stop all voting.

Yes it looks that way now that Biden can win without Pennsylvania. Lets hope so although the fact this race is so close is pretty depressing enough as it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

L1011 wrote: »

Talking with Nigel Farage, about Trump running in 2024. Poorly phrased.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Any Trump fans here care to defend this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Patser wrote: »
    From Sky News live text:

Donald Trump's campaign has claimed victory in Pennsylvania, despite the counting of votes there not being complete.

He's into desperation now, and trying to muddy everything up and drag the whole process into the dirt

US TV has done a decent enough job so far not amplifying the worst of his nonsense, like they normally do by having 'both sides' on to discuss.

Problem however will be as things drag on past the initial few days and stations feel the need to juice ratings by adding 'conflict'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Nevada- Michigan- Wisconsin(in the bag)-Arizona

That’s is Biden’s most likely path and looked like this since early this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,272 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Talking with Nigel Farage, about Trump running in 2024. Poorly phrased.

It was horribly believable, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Foxtrol wrote: »
    US TV has done a decent enough job so far not amplifying the worst of his nonsense, like they normally do by having 'both sides' on to discuss.

Problem however will be as things drag on past the initial few days and stations feel the need to juice ratings by adding 'conflict'.

The campaign did this.

This isn’t the media. This is a authoritarian who doesn’t want to release power and wants to undermine an election

I can declare that Angelina jolie is in love with me except she doesn’t know it yet. People can say many things but just saying them doesn’t make it true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Patser wrote: »
    From Sky News live text:

It's smacking of desperation to me though, he clearly thought he'd win this morning and made declarations and accusations. Now he finds himself ironically in the position of Hillary as his leads dissapear and he finds himself and his campaign routed. If he was successful at one thing it was getting out the republican base. Thing though is that his antics and behaviour have energised the opposition as well and this is what is his ultimate undoing.

Im hoping Biden takes Pensylvania, I know right now he doesnt NEED it if he has Nevada and Arizona but taking it in addition to the others including Michican and that would give a decisive and commanding EC vote backed up by the popular vote. Would shut down Trump completely.

Question then becomes will he admit defeat or be dragged out kicking and screaming?

Advertisement