Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looking increasingly tight in Pennsylvania.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1324112093545639941

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,139 ✭✭✭✭briany

moon2 wrote: »
    Generally speaking they have enough people looking at the stats to accurately predict the final tally. It doesn't *mean* anytihng, but it gives the ordinary person a somewhat informed/accurate estimate of the final outcome.

It's kind of useful for states which have a trump lead yet are predicted to go biden based on info/patterns they've gathered, or vice versa. The average person couldn't make that leap.

Being the first to call a race would have certain benefits for a news channel beyond bragging rights, especially in the days of social media because you quickly get the buzz going around that the BBC or SKY or CNN or Fox calls a particular race and people tune in and then you've got higher ratings for that channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    AZ will up date voting two times tonight 9 pm and 12 am ET.

I’ll be asleep as I can’t stay up that late two nights in a row. 12am ET is 5am our time isn’t it ? It might make morning Ireland then.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Looks like he'll win GA, NC, and PA. Only needs Nevada, and it's close there.

Gap has closed in PA, but he's still so far ahead.

The lies, and deliberate ignorance have been really annoying for four years.

Now it's just funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭This is it

briany wrote: »
    Being the first to call a race would have certain benefits for a news channel beyond bragging rights, especially in the days of social media because you quickly get the buzz going around that the BBC or SKY or CNN or Fox calls a particular race and people tune in and then you've got higher ratings for that channel.

The issue for them is getting it wrong, most know better this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Water John wrote: »
    Why is Trump chasing AZ if it's not in play?

It is imo. Or at least more in play than Nevada given a lot of Republican votes in the next set of mail ins. Biden still pretty favoured but the potential of a race is there.

As for PA, hopefully that goes for Biden as well. I want as much redundancy in the system as possible till it is official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,514 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

moon2 wrote: »
    Generally speaking they have enough people looking at the stats to accurately predict the final tally. It doesn't *mean* anytihng, but it gives the ordinary person a somewhat informed/accurate estimate of the final outcome.

It's kind of useful for states which have a trump lead yet are predicted to go biden based on info/patterns they've gathered, or vice versa. The average person couldn't make that leap.

No new outlet has called any state based on patterns of votes for a candidate who is behind . It's universally when they are ahead with an gap that can't be closesd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What’s this we have claimed talk from trump about ? Claimed ? It’s a presidential election not a pet who went missing and is found.

The guy is nuts, pure nutsville stuff. Giuliani is not much better.

He knows his game is up, he’s being close to actually being destroyed, yet he doesn’t give up gracefully, he’s trying to talk about challenging the results of the biggest democratic election in history of earth... on a hunch and zero evidence that there was fraud ? Nutsville. The guy is several sandwiches short of a picnic, nutsville. He’s had a taste of it, doesn’t want to loose it, doesn’t want to loose face too... he knows what the Americans are saying tonight, it’s not even pro Biden, it’s...

“ Donald, we’ve had 4 years, we don’t like what we’ve seen and heard, we don’t like what you represent, what you do and how you behave, this is a democracy we choose Joe ! “

What Trump is saying...

“ I want to be president, I like being president, I don’t want to loose, I don’t like loosing, I never loose, so I’ll use whatever tactic, fair means or foul to keep the White House “

He is not a reasonable man, he is not a fair man...I don’t think he plays with a full deck quite frankly.... he is having his ass handed to him, he’s not used to that, he can’t take it, the world watching.

briany wrote: »
    It would be funny if Trump focuses all his rage on PA only for it not to have mattered anyway. Something tells me he wouldn't pursue the SC case out of simple principle.

Huh?
    This is a man who sues everyone for everything to try to intimidate them. Given that it won't be his money that'll be being spent he'll have them in court as long as they possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Biden only 60K behind in GA now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭This is it

60k behind in Georgia, is it possible to catch him? What's left and is it mail votes left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Nevada are releasing more numbers today. Apparently they feel the weight of history... Not joking about that, they realised they could be the state that gets the new President over the line.

Have you a source for that? Their last tweet from Nevada Elections was the one saying next update tomorrow 9am (PT - 5pm here).

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

Mellor wrote: »
    No new outlet has called any state based on patterns of votes for a candidate who is behind . It's universally when they are ahead with an gap that can't be closesd.

Absolutely. If you've been listening to the commentary they have been *projecting* a win for biden based on the district which needed to be counted. They did not *call* the state based on that projection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

By my maths Biden only needs 60% of outstanding Georgia to win it, and I predict him to get significantly more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

This is it wrote: »
    60k behind in Georgia, is it possible to catch him? What's left and is it mail votes left?

I'd say there is an outside chance, but wouldn't be confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

droidus wrote: »
    PA being touted as +1 Biden assuming trends stay steady and the count continues.

AZ a bit shaky, but it looks as if there's enough of a mix of urban and early votes to keep the dems on top.

NZ still likely to stay blue.

GA a tossup. 50/50. its gonna be close.

Disregard, I'm having issues with boards.ie atm - posts showing up late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,560 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Interesting Trump wont make any public appearances for the rest of the day according to the White House, not like him to shy away from the camera, he must be losing it big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

everlast75 wrote: »
    Wow. If I were a petty man, I'd yuck it up at the GOP tears.

Good thing I'm not, eh?

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1324098069445660674?s=09

I haven't assumed Biden will win. Why are Trumpets assuming so?

I remember when the Trump fans here were saying there wouldn't be any crying if Biden won. It wasn't believable then and it isnt now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,139 ✭✭✭✭briany

Strumms wrote: »

He is not a reasonable man, he is not a fair man...I don’t think he plays with a full deck quite frankly.... he is having his ass handed to him, he’s not used to that, he can’t take it, the world watching.

He's not having his ass handed to as far as I can tell. He has vastly overperformed vs. what the polls predicted and several of the races have been tight, and although the overall race looks to be tipping toward Biden, Trump has increased his own turnout by 3 million from 2016. If he loses, it would be a loss where he can claim a strong mandate to remain in control of the Republican party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Strumms wrote: »
    He knows his game is up, he’s being close to actually being destroyed, yet he doesn’t give up gracefully, he’s trying to talk about challenging the results of the biggest democratic election in history of earth... on a hunch and zero evidence that there was fraud ?

India is the world's biggest democracy by quite a big margin!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,985 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Headshot wrote: »
    Interesting Trump wont make any public appearances for the rest of the day according to the White House, not like him to shy away from the camera, he must be losing it big time

I would imagine the GOP are reigning him in.

Few big names starting to distance themselves.

Well he can start to remove that massive TV off the wall in the White House.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

thepogues wrote: »
    What's the big deal with news channels declaring, "we're calling it for "x"? Surely all that matters is the final count tally regardless of who claims it for whoever?

Yes, all that matters is the official count but the official results won't be certified for days or weeks in some cases. There is auditing of the entire process beforehand.

Ultimately the news networks "projections" are now taken as the defacto results announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jo jo the eskimo

Everyday since trump came down that escalator the country has gotten progressively more divided with Trumps recent statement and now Giuliani
    Millions are going to genuinely believe he was robbed its unbelievably

jester77 wrote: »

Chanting to stop the count in Detroit, it's like a scene from the Walking Dead

America a good idea that’s gotten out of hand and someone once said. I mean let them stop the count because Biden is ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If it was 50/50 or close even he’d be sticking his mug in front of every camera, waving, grinning...but he now knows the game is up....

He doesn’t have the grace or gravitas to put himself out there, instead he’s hiding in the shadows, hoping for a late surge but I think he’d want to be getting the rosary beads out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

sdanseo wrote: »
    Have you a source for that? Their last tweet from Nevada Elections was the one saying next update tomorrow 9am (PT - 5pm here).
    I'm not the only one to have reported this on here. But here's a source

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

If Biden gets over the line will he be invited to meet Trump in the White House? Can Trump just put his foot down and refuse (like my five year old son when it's bedtime)?

thepogues wrote: »
    If Biden gets over the line will he be invited to meet Trump in the White House? Can Trump just put his foot down and refuse (like my five year old son when it's bedtime)?

I don’t think there’s any requirement for trump to invite Biden to the White House. But sure Biden was VP for eight years so he probably doesn’t need to go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,924 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wouldn't this just be the chef's kiss?

https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/1324114422160334848?s=19

Meanwhile, people seem to have begun reaching the point of giving up on Trump

https://twitter.com/LisaMirandoCNN/status/1324118612219744260?s=19

Advertisement