Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

briany wrote: »
    He's not having his ass handed to as far as I can tell. He has vastly overperformed vs. what the polls predicted and several of the races have been tight, and although the overall race looks to be tipping toward Biden, Trump has increased his own turnout by 3 million from 2016. If he loses, it would be a loss where he can claim a strong mandate to remain in control of the Republican party.

In addition, despite all the efforts of the Lincoln Project, Meidas Touch and other hard-hitting media campaigns, his down-ballot performance has been strong in that Dem projections of Blue Waves in Senate and House have simply not even been ripples. In fact, Dems may be worse off rather than better off in the new Congress..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

briany wrote: »
    He's not having his ass handed to as far as I can tell. He has vastly overperformed vs. what the polls predicted and several of the races have been tight, and although the overall race looks to be tipping toward Biden, Trump has increased his own turnout by 3 million from 2016. If he loses, it would be a loss where he can claim a strong mandate to remain in control of the Republican party.

Incumbents aren't meant to be that far behind the polls in the first place. The incumbent usually has a massive advantage to begin with.

I agree in terms of the EC it is a close race but if he loses that what good is he. You can't win a majority of votes with him there, he has lost the popular vote twice now which doesn't change the EC but Republicans may worry it will effect downballot races.

Presidents are largely expected to stay away from politics aside from some endorsements. Like is he going to take a senate race in 2 years? From the white House to the senate.

Finally he may have just ruined that with the latest temper tantrum. If he loses today Republicans are less dependent on him and have already started cutting him loose. They need to move to try and defeat Biden in 4 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

everlast75 wrote: »
    Wouldn't this just be the chef's kiss?

https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/1324114422160334848?s=19

Meanwhile, people seem to have begun reaching the point of giving up on Trump

https://twitter.com/LisaMirandoCNN/status/1324118612219744260?s=19

Why are FOX so eager to call it for their opponent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

What a day it has been. I remember the moment Trump was elected 2016 and how incredulous I felt at the time. Naturally the day that America decides to reign in some of the insanity, we get a new COVID strain. I’ve been saying since this thing broke out last December in 2019, we need to take care of those minks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

MattS1 wrote: »

Odd, they are fiercely pro trump / pro republicans...

I guess for their rep... their man lost so wanna at least be the first to call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,139 ✭✭✭✭briany

When we say that Trump is bleeding GOP support, are we talking about GOP politicians and staffer mainly, or are we talking about GOP voters? Because if it's the former then it really doesn't matter what they think if the latter is largely behind Trump in his inane and insane ravings. The GOP establishment will get behind Trump whether they like it or not, or Trump will take his people and form a new party and the Republicans will be an irrelevant stump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    In addition, despite all the efforts of the Lincoln Project, Meidas Touch and other hard-hitting media campaigns, his down-ballot performance has been strong in that Dem projections of Blue Waves in Senate and House have simply not even been ripples. In fact, Dems may be worse off rather than better off in the new Congress..

The Lincoln Project was never about the GOP candidates down the ballot only Trump who they saw as, unfit for office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,720 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mounting a legal challenge to contest this election is going to cost millions and it'll be a completely lost cause. You would like to think the Republican party will not allow party coffers to be used to sponsor such folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

There is a big gap between their news team and their opinion team. The news team called Arizona super early for whatever reason and got loads of flak for it from the Trump team/opinion side of their station.

However Arizona is the only difference between them and every other news station. Maybe they just want to be first but if Arizona gets close I reckon a few of them may get fired as it has to have been massively contentious in the building.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sounds like Trump is about to find out who his real friends are.

I don't expect it to take long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't think Fox love Trump. They love Republicans though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I'd say the hard news side of the house would be in conflict with the opinion side of the house.

When something comes down to a simple matter of fact there's no percentage in not calling it.

Mounting a legal challenge to contest this election is going to cost millions and it'll be a completely lost cause. You would like to think the Republican party will not allow party coffers to be used to sponsor such folly.

They very likely won’t. Also by doing so the reputational damage that the Republicans might endure as a result of this would last a long time, could be 20 plus years before they’d have the capabilities to get a president elected...

Water John wrote: »
    The Lincoln Project was never about the GOP candidates down the ballot only Trump who they saw as, unfit for office.

Lincoln Project REGULARLY ran ads to undermine Trump-supporting Senators such as Collins, Graham, Mc Connell etc. Like the $200 million pumped into Mc Grath's and Harrisons campaigns alone, not a lot to show for it...

Wouldn't this just be the chef's kiss?

https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/1324114422160334848?s=19

Ambulance chasing, hardly referring to Rudy there are they?

If Biden takes Georgia (I was sure Trump had it last night) in a close race it's a baffling result. For the polls to be 10 points off in other states but get Georgia right shows the issue with the polling isn't just a simple "Shy Trump" vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's bit early to ask, but what the heck - who'd be in line for the GOP in 2024?

It'll come from the campaign I'm sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭This is it

Still 600k in Arizona, it's not done yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,720 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It'll come from the campaign I'm sure..
    He spent all his campaign money days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Because they're still a news station and want to be first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lincoln Project REGULARLY ran ads to undermine Trump-supporting Senators such as Collins, Graham, Mc Connell etc. Like the $200 million pumped into Mc Grath's and Harrisons campaigns alone, not a lot to show for it...

Interesting that the Lincoln Project were able to spend over three times what they raised..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's bit early to ask, but what the heck - who'd be in line for the GOP in 2024?

Sen. Josh Hawley from Missouri is my early pick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Christy42 wrote: »
    There is a big gap between their news team and their opinion team. The news team called Arizona super early for whatever reason and got loads of flak for it from the Trump team/opinion side of their station.

However Arizona is the only difference between them and every other news station. Maybe they just want to be first but if Arizona gets close I reckon a few of them may get fired as it has to have been massively contentious in the building.
    Trump phoned Murdoch screaming down the phone for a retraction and he said "no".

*crying laughing*

Who thinks Trump won't run again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Apparently Biden needs to win about 64% of the remaining uncounted Pennsylvania votes to win. The last 10% that were counted went 74% Biden. So that's why they're getting so antsy in the Trump camp about Pennsylvania.

Since 1913, there have only been 5 presidential candidates who sought re-election and failed....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Christy42 wrote: »

This. The Fox news guys aren't so bad. Brett Baeir and Chris Wallace particularly. It's the opinion guys masquerading as news that are the problem.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

CNN estimates there's 185,000 remaining votes in Georgia.
    Trump needs 31-33%.
    Biden needs 65-67%.

Biden currently polling at >70%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I would love it if both the GOP and the Democrats publicly committed to running a woman in 2024 (presuming Biden wins, and only does one term).

Never, ever going to happen though! I just want to see the lunatics froth at the mouth, with no one to vote for except a woman.

Advertisement