Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for Parents (70s)

Options
  • 02-11-2020 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

Looking for some ideas for presents to get my parents.

They are in their 70s

Very recently celebrated 50th wedding anniversary (received a blue book voucher)

One of them got some bad news this year health wise so I would be leaning more towards something sentimental and to make some memories. My other siblings are all living abroad too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Have you time and patience? What about a proper photobook? Printed like a wedding album

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Maybe something nice for their garden? If they’re anything like my parents they haven’t got out much this year so the garden was great for them. Maybe some nice new comfy cushions for their garden chairs or a new bench or even some planters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Any favourite box sets, something they used to watch years ago? Amazon have tons of box sets so you might find something there.

A photo collage blanket. Pictures of family, grandkids etc.

If they're foodies, a really nice hamper from Fallon & Byrne, Sheridan's...or make one with nice foods and a bottle of their favourite drink.

If they like puzzles, you can get personalised puzzles with family pictures.

Family tree kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pistachio19

Good idea on the family tree. Would they be into geneaology, looking into their family trees? You could set them up with a years subscription to ancestry.co.uk. And perhaps depending on budget or for birthdays later on you could keep an eye out for when the DNA kits are on sale - possibly around Black Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Newspaper from their marriage date. These can be framed or made into a nice presentation book

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Edgware wrote: »
    Newspaper from their marriage date. These can be framed or made into a nice presentation book

Where do you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Maybe more practical than sentimental but I got my parents a Ring doorbell for their recent wedding anniversary. Mum can get a bit anxious when she is home alone so this way she can check who is at the door or pretend not to be home if she doesn't want to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I only have a mother left, but I always go for something cosy for her. Something that would make her feel all warm and wrapped up and safe and relaxed. So things like warm coats, special wool blankets, shawls, scarves, slippers, but also lovely lamps that give a warm glow and mellowness. I suppose if I was Scandinavian (and my ancestry is!) the theme would be Hygge...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

My husband is one seven children so at his parents’ 50th dinner he made & narrated a slide show. It had their birthdays, their wedding anniversary & the birth dates of each of their children & grandchildren & each was paired with a newsworthy event or invention from the same date, month or year. It was lovely to see what was going on in the world at such a personal time for them & was amazing to see how the world has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    Maybe something nice for their garden? If they’re anything like my parents they haven’t got out much this year so the garden was great for them. Maybe some nice new comfy cushions for their garden chairs or a new bench or even some planters.

A slightly diff garden suggestion
    A few years back for an aunt & uncle’s 50th anniversary , a young tree/bush that they planted in their garden, think it was an ash
    Could get whatever tree is associated with their wedding month
    Got a metal plaque for it that was on a tree tag with our names engraved on it
    Unfortunately can’t remember the website we ordered off but they lived in U.K. and was delivered in a big bucket type container
    They also got a mini weather station for the garden from other relatives, if they’re interested in weather
    Had a little device like a mini iPad that is kept in the house and check daily

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

sorry if its off topic but dont know where to put this. am sending small gifts to family in ireland but half of them dont know their eircode post codes. do i really need the codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pistachio19

sorry if its off topic but dont know where to put this. am sending small gifts to family in ireland but half of them dont know their eircode post codes. do i really need the codes?

Not particularly. If they are being delivered by An Post and don't live in one of the larger cities, chances are the postman will know them well enough to know what they have for breakfast. If it's a courier, if he can't find the house he'll probably leave it in the local chemist which has happened to me :D. If you have the recipients phone numbers handy, maybe put them on the details if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

You can find their eircode yourself on the eircode website. Just put in their address and it will show up when you click on the red button over their house. Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

If you enter their address into eircode finder, it should give you their eircode.:)

Advertisement