Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to live in Murroe?

• 02-11-2020 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are thinking of attempting for a mortgage in one of the many properties available in Murroe. I have heard good things from a couple of friends, but have read a few alarming things online about the place in terms of anti-social behaviour.

Also read an article last week about a car being stolen but is it any worse than other areas around the city? Even the likes of Castletroy has no-go areas.

Which estates are the roughest and are there any areas in particular that we should avoid?

I've looked at properties in:

The Oaks
    Ros Fearna
    Garanbawn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭gerandy

Glenstal Gates probably smallest and quitest. Garrabawn should be a nice decent estate , Ros Fearna OK also. in that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Where are the 'no go' area's in Castletroy? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Where are the 'no go' area's in Castletroy? :eek:

I don't want the thread getting derailed, but I've friends and family that have had bad experiences in Elm Park and College Court. Obviously they're not nearly as bad as other areas around the city and I imagine a lot of the potential trouble is reduced with students working from home etc. But they wouldn't be as favourable as other places is what I'm getting at

gerandy wrote: »
    Glenstal Gates probably smallest and quitest. Garrabawn should be a nice decent estate , Ros Fearna OK also. in that order.
    Thanks for that. I think Garanbawn is the main area we've looked at, it looks like a nice open estate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hmmm.... I'm kind of surprised by your question as Murroe is not "around the City" any more than it is in the Serengeti.

Elm Park and College Court are almost exclusively Student housing Estates for the past number of decades - This should not come as a surprise to anyone prepared to do 5 minutes of research.

Anyone demented enough to buy as house in a predominantly student occupied housing estate anywhere had better be prepared for a subsequent lifetime of misery spending their evenings listening to the aftermath of countless obnoxious Sorcha and Cillians learning to drink, vomit, fall over, throw traffic cones at cars and set fire to wheelie bins as part of the massive craic of College life.

Aside from these areas Castletroy would be settled and quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Josuke wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself and my partner are thinking of attempting for a mortgage in one of the many properties available in Murroe. I have heard good things from a couple of friends, but have read a few alarming things online about the place in terms of anti-social behaviour.

Also read an article last week about a car being stolen but is it any worse than other areas around the city? Even the likes of Castletroy has no-go areas.

Which estates are the roughest and are there any areas in particular that we should avoid?

The Oaks
    Ros Fearna
    Garanbawn
    Murroe is a nice place. Of course there has been some antisocial behavior but no worse than most places and better than many others. Garanbawn is definitely the nicest of the estates in Murroe.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Josuke wrote: »
    Hi all,

The Oaks
    Ros Fearna
    Garanbawn
    It's the kind of place that strikes as being a bit remote from everything increasing your dependance on a car. Amenities in the village itself would be basic.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hmmm.... I'm kind of surprised by your question as Murroe is not "around the City" any more than it is in the Serengeti.

Elm Park and College Court are almost exclusively Student housing Estates for the past number of decades - This should not come as a surprise to anyone prepared to do 5 minutes of research.

Anyone demented enough to buy as house in a predominantly student occupied housing estate anywhere had better be prepared for a subsequent lifetime of misery spending their evenings listening to the aftermath of countless obnoxious Sorcha and Cillians learning to drink, vomit, fall over, throw traffic cones at cars and set fire to wheelie bins as part of the massive craic of College life.

Aside from these areas Castletroy would be settled and quiet.

I think you are picking me up wrong here. I'm based just 5 mins outside the city at the moment and have been looking for places within 30-40 mins or so from the city too. I'm just comparing Murroe to places around the city because there's a population of 3,000 there these days and several housing estates (similar to places around the city). Plus considering that I have lived five mins from the city my entire life, I was curious about how it compares.

Obviously I am aware that those two places in Castletroy have a large amount of students given that I went to UL for six years.. Agree though that moving to either of those places would be a big mistake and fortunately people I've known have only rented. Otherwise I would say Castletroy is a great area to live - again, I implied as much in my previous posts.

h3000 wrote: »
    Murroe is a nice place. Of course there has been some antisocial behavior but no worse than most places and better than many others. Garanbawn is definitely the nicest of the estates in Murroe.

Thanks very much for this :)

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's the kind of place that strikes as being a bit remote from everything increasing your dependance on a car. Amenities in the village itself would be basic.

Yeah I think I'm resigned to driving more frequently but working from home permanently it seems. Would just to have get used to the roads, they were fairly challenging last time around

• Advertisement
Advertisement