Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 dead and several injured after terrorist incident in Vienna, Austria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

From the article you quoted, the young man "Austrian-North Macedonian dual citizen" judging by his name, was an ethnic Albanian, which means he had deep European roots, and his ancestors have been Muslims for last several centuries.

Therefore, the problem will not be solved by simple deportations or closing borders to those from other continents: Asia and Africa. North Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia i.e. European countries with large Muslim population or predominantly Muslim, are on the path to become EU members one day.

Also, he had Austrian citizenship, so he was already EU citizen and shredding his passport, wouldn't prevent him traveling free across EU.

The problem isn't in Islam. The problem is in network laid out across Europe that recruits, indoctrinate, equip and send these people out to terrorist missions. The problem are those oil rich regimes in the Gulf that finance them. These organizations don't do it to spread Islam - they are fully aware you can't convert people that way; they don't do it because they believe it is their sacred duty - they couldn't care less about it.

What their aim can be ? I don't know. But here is one hypothesis (I'm speculating here). We remember that one of the things that Trump emphasized during his previous and successful campaign was about dangers of Muslim migrants, and he used to show Sweden as an example of such dangers. But we also know, that once he got into office he withdrew USA from Paris agreement and is now seen as a defender of fossil fuels. For some reason, most extreme right wing parties in Europe and elsewhere today are not just Islamophobic, but they are also skeptical towards GHG and fossil fuels impact on global warming and climate change. If they were in power, Gulf countries wouldn't be scared for their income. :)

If the Saudis are scared for their income, why did they have an oil price war with Russia earlier his year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Selenophile

If the Saudis are scared for their income, why did they have an oil price war with Russia earlier his year ?
    Don't want to go off topic with this. Saudis tried to knock out competition. But in that war the real losers were American oil producers. Their cost of oil extractions is much higher than in Russia or Persian Gulf. There was fear it may kill their production. In fact, rig count in US went down at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

The problem isn't in Islam...

But we also know, that once he got into office he withdrew USA from Paris agreement and is now seen as a defender of fossil fuels.

Things this thread has blamed, to avoid blaming the obvious culprit, take two:
    Cartoonists
    Catholics
    Christians
    Organised religion in general
    Lack of education
    Poverty
    The far-right
    Psychopathy
    Mass shooters in the US
    Colonialism
    The IRA
    Secularism
    Toxic masculinity
    Videogames
    The UFC
    Traumatised refugees
    Western intervention in the Middle East
    Israelis
    Jewish people
    Climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Good interview, she's only Osama Bin Laden's niece so she'd know nothing about this threat ...

She must be just a far right bigot,.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Das Reich wrote: »
    2020 and never had a muslim terrorist attack in my country. It's the biggest Catholic country in the world but the day they will try be sure there will be reprisals.
    Visegrad? Hopefully your country will never have to endure one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Good interview, she's only Osama Bin Laden's niece so she'd know nothing about this threat ...

She must be just a far right bigot,.

Infowars & a Bin Laden. Some combination :D

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vulcan01

But but but right wing terrorists are the danger.....

Proper order too. Pity there are not more like Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

biko wrote: »
    Visegrad? Hopefully your country will never have to endure one.

Brazil, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

seenitall wrote: »
    Brazil, I think.

Brazilians can barely look after themselves, not to mind keeping an eye on terrorists. Though the gangs in Brazil are so brutal, they should give them amnesty and send them on a tour of duty to the so called IS, fight fire with fire...

Granadino wrote: »
    Brazilians can barely look after themselves, not to mind keeping an eye on terrorists. Though the gangs in Brazil are so brutal, they should give them amnesty and send them on a tour of duty to the so called IS, fight fire with fire...

Take it up with Das Reich, just in case I’m right and he is from Brasil rather than Eastern Europe. It rang a bell with me from some previous posts of his, but I may be mistaken. In any case, you’re barking up the wrong tree here as I don’t have any great insight into the Brazilian situation nor am I hugely interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/1103/1175589-vienna-austria-attack/

Austrian police have arrested 14 people in raids linked to the deadly attack in Vienna and have found no evidence that a second gunman was involved.

Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said: "There have been 18 raids in Vienna and Lower Austria and 14 people have been detained."

He added that police believe that yesterday's shooting in central Vienna was carried out by a lone gunman, Kujtim Fejzulai, a 20-year-old so-called Islamic State sympathiser who was killed by police last night.

Single shooter - why are 14 arrested? Extended family? Friends? TBC..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

biko wrote: »
    Single shooter - why are 14 arrested? Extended family? Friends? TBC..

Family, friends, associates, persons of interest in the area or on a watchlist, people in the vicinity of the attacks.

All of the above and probably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

BBC has the story first on the 6pm news

RTE doesn't even include it on their 4 story headlines

The reports from last night (even the first presser which was reported on here), reported on 6 shooting locations, not one, not two, but 6! How could he be at all the locations at once? They said that they were looking for at least one other shooter. How could they get it so wrong? It’s weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This fits perfectly with France and the UK's experience over the last several years, in that most of these terrorists turn out to be people already on watch lists or similar and so are not randoms, but are already identified as risks.

That to me suggests it might be an idea to aprehend all of the individuals on such watch lists in Europe and then push them out the back of planes over the Sahara at 5,000m.

cnocbui wrote: »
    This fits perfectly with France and the UK's experience over the last several years, in that most of these terrorists turn out to be people already on watch lists or similar and so are not randoms, but are already identified as risks.

That to me suggests it might be an idea to aprehend all of the individuals on such watch lists in Europe and then push them out the back of planes over the Sahara at 5,000m.

All best sent back to a country more in line with their own views. No benefit to host nation keeping them here, just risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

While I (or any reasonable, humane person) wouldn't go that far...might be an idea to present them + all their "family reunions" relatives with a one way ticket "home" if they have other citizenships or are only residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Let's not try to apprehend threatening individuals and investigate any potential risks that they pose.

Instead we'll just take everyone on lists- including innocent people- and push them out the back of a plane.

The mods would really want to start taking a look at this thread.

I'm all for a lively discussion on a sensitive topic but this is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

BBC has the story first on the 6pm news

RTE doesn't even include it on their 4 story headlines

Ridiculously left wing organisation so not a huge surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭sheeplover55

Might take a while, these UK figures are from 2017 from the Times. Nothing can be done about it imo, scale is too big and constantly rising.

"Intelligence officers have identified 23,000 jihadist extremists living in Britain as potential terrorist attackers, it emerged yesterday.

The scale of the challenge facing the police and security services was disclosed by Whitehall sources after criticism that multiple opportunities to stop the Manchester bomber had been missed."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ridiculously left wing organisation so not a huge surprise.

On radio 1 of course rte had to highlight that two men with an immigrant backround came to the aid of one of the injured, In their short item on it on the news. Of course the perpetrator was described as an Austrian citizen with dual Macedonian citizenship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The UK's terrorism threat level has been upgraded from "substantial" to "severe".

Second highest level, expecting something to occur.
    Yesterday, I watched Police with machine guns protecting children as they went to school in Lyon in the aftermath of the beheading of a teacher by an Islamist.
    Today, the children could not go to schools in Vienna, as they were shut due to the murderous rampage carried by an Islamist the night before.

Not only do the children of Europe have a worldwide pandemic to contend with, but Islamic terrorism all over the continent. Europeans need to ask themselves if liberal migration policies are worth it? I say no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

seenitall wrote: »
    The reports from last night (even the first presser which was reported on here), reported on 6 shooting locations, not one, not two, but 6! How could he be at all the locations at once? They said that they were looking for at least one other shooter. How could they get it so wrong? It’s weird.

Well most of the reported areas are very close to each other, like a few minutes walking. The furthest away location was where the picture was of a people being arrested by the police and was just a false alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

The current trending phrase in Vienna is now #schleichdiduoaschloch (schleich di, du, oaschloch-F**k you, you a**hole) after some lad was shouting that out a window at the shooter last night, which pretty well sums up the Viennese!

On radio 1 of course rte had to highlight that two men with an immigrant backround came to the aid of one of the injured, In their short item on it on the news.
    Why wouldn't they? They were very brave men who came under direct fire trying to save others. There was also a Palestinian man who saved a shot police officer while under fire.. who it turns out had been in the news last year after a local mayor had refused his family permission to buy a house claiming because he was muslim and hence his values are incompatible with those of the West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭sheeplover55

Why wouldn't they? They were very brave men who came under direct fire trying to save others. There was also a Palestinian man who saved a shot police officer while under fire.. who it turns out had been in the news last year after a local mayor had refused his family permission to buy a house claiming because he was muslim and hence his values are incompatible with those of the West

So what's your point?

The changing of culture and tradeoff of heightened security tensions along with terror attacks across Europe is a worthwhile price to pay because there are good immigrants too?

Can you not see how neatly you encapsulate the real reason it is done ?

It is not because they are brave men who came under direct fire. That would be enough, and we could all feel better about the human condition.

But no, we have to get the extra whataboutery colour piece at the end, the sob story about housing.

Down to the level of the individual Good Samaritan, as if it were of any relevance to the real issue, the bigger picture.

Meat and drink to the bleeding hearts.

So, so predictable.

Can you not see how neatly you encapsulate the real reason it is done ?

It is not because they are brave men who came under direct fire. That would be enough, and we could all feel better about the human condition.

But no, we have to get the extra whataboutery colour piece at the end, the sob story about housing.

Down to the level of the individual Good Samaritan, as if it were of any relevance to the real issue, the bigger picture.

Meat and drink to the bleeding hearts.

So, so predictable.

Well I'm not surprised you can't see the relevance of the 'sob story'. It is typical though, those who tend to shout the loudest about our western values are the ones who embody them the least in their day to day lives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Effective action, as opposed to insufficient reaction, is needed.

The longer the impotent governments of Europe continue to do nothing, the greater the pressure builds.

It's as simple as that.

• Advertisement

Well I'm not surprised you can't see the relevance of the 'sob story'

In equal measure, I'm not surprised that you can't see the irrelevance of it.

One can only imagine your delirium on discovering it was (in a post-Brexit UK) a Polish chef on London Bridge tackling the convicted (Muslim, sorry) terrorist... with a five-foot Narwhal tusk !

:rolleyes:

Advertisement