Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 dead and several injured after terrorist incident in Vienna, Austria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I reiterate my plea from the other thread.

Please ignore the attempts of people to derail the discussion by dragging up the irrelevant and non-comparable IRA.

It's a tactic.
    I think the IRA has saved Ireland from terror attacks, considering that they trained some of these organisations, its a strong possibility and not much of a stretch to suggest it. They were well in with Muammar Gadaffi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Can you not see how neatly you encapsulate the real reason it is done ?

It is not because they are brave men who came under direct fire. That would be enough, and we could all feel better about the human condition.

But no, we have to get the extra whataboutery colour piece at the end, the sob story about housing.

Down to the level of the individual Good Samaritan, as if it were of any relevance to the real issue, the bigger picture.

Meat and drink to the bleeding hearts.

So, so predictable.
    It was a disingenuous post that you responded to. For example, this bit:
    local mayor had refused his family permission to buy a house claiming because he was muslim and hence his values are incompatible with those of the West
    Wonder what site did he get that information from?

So the brave migrant "who saved a shot police officer while under fire" last night was refused the permission to buy a house last year by a "local" (aka white/Austrian) mayor because the buyer was a Muslim. I don't know if people believe everything that they read online that attempts to justify or nullify atrocities committed by Islamists in Europe.
    Sometimes, people are just very gullible or naive, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Well I'm not surprised you can't see the relevance of the 'sob story'. It is typical though, those who tend to shout the loudest about our western values are the ones who embody them the least in their day to day lives

Just seen your afterthought -

could you direct me to the post where I am 'shouting the loudest' about 'western values', please ?

Or how I embody them least in my day to day life ?

Or is it just something you had to say in order to set up the snippy remark ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Kivaro wrote: »
    It was a disingenuous post that you responded to. For example, this bit:
    Wonder what site did he get that information from?

So the brave migrant "who saved a shot police officer while under fire" last night was refused the permission to buy a house last year by a "local" (aka white/Austrian) mayor because the buyer was a Muslim. I don't know if people believe everything that they read online that attempts to justify or nullify atrocities committed by Islamists in Europe.
    Sometimes, people are just very gullible or naive, or both.
    You could have just googled it
    KURIER-Lesern ist der junge Palästinenser bereits bekannt. Voriges Jahr machten er und seine Familie Schlagzeilen, als sie sich im nö. Weikendorf ein Haus kaufen wollten. Dies wurde vom Bürgermeister der Gemeinde aber mit der Begründung abgelehnt, dass muslimische und westliche Werte nicht vereinbar wären. Die Behörde und die Gerichte gaben allerdings der Familie Recht.

https://kurier.at/chronik/wien/helden-bei-terroranschlag-drei-maenner-retteten-verletzten-polizisten/401085633
    Kurier was the eighteenth largest newspaper worldwide with a circulation of 443,000 copies in the late 1980s.[8] It was the third best-selling Austrian newspaper in 1993 with a circulation of 390,000 copies.[9]

The circulation of Kurier was 263,000 copies in 2001.[10] It was the third best selling Austrian newspaper in 2002 with a circulation of 252,000 copies.[11] The daily had a circulation of 254,000 copies in 2004.[12] Its circulation in 2005 was 172,000 copies.[5] The 2007 circulation of the paper was 169,481 copies.[1] It had a circulation of 158,469 copies in 2011.[13] The circulation of the paper was 385,000 copies in 2013.[2]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I think the IRA has saved Ireland from terror attacks, considering that they trained some of these organisations, its a strong possibility and not much of a stretch to suggest it. They were well in with Muammar Gadaffi

Give your head a rest will ya , the ira training isis that's the dumbest thing I've heard . The thing that's saving Ireland is we're an island far from the middle east and we haven't invaded anyone or been involved in regime change anywhere in the world .

• Advertisement

Give your head a rest will ya , the ira training isis that's the dumbest thing I've heard . The thing that's saving Ireland is we're an island far from the middle east and we haven't invaded anyone or been involved in regime change anywhere in the world .

Didn't say they trained Isis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Yeah you kinda did!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

ISIS have claimed responsibility for last nights attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

I've read reports over the last couple of weeks they are believed to be regrouping and are placing sleeper cells throughout Europe and will go down that route instead of a concentrated campaign in one particular middle Eastern country like Iraq or Syria.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Jesus mate, spoiler alert eh!!!

/sarcasm

• Advertisement

You tried to imply they did . I doubt there's to many ira lads heading off to iraq or syria to train isis . I think you're living in fantasy land . Many isis are former members of iraq military or sunni militias , I doubt they need paddy ira to show them how to make bombs or shoot people

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Yeah you kinda did!

No I didn't, but they are a blueprint for organisations engaged in this type of thing, the structure of the IRA has been used by other groups, and they have links with ETA in the Basque country and FARC in Colombia. Their philosophy has influenced many other groups.

I've read reports over the last couple of weeks they are believed to be regrouping and are placing sleeper cells throughout Europe and will go down that route instead of a concentrated campaign in one particular middle Eastern country like Iraq or Syria.

In September they called for a resumption of operations outside of Syria. It was the 1 year anniversary of the death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on 29 Oct, that ties in with the Nice attack.

ISIS have been reorganising in the Middle East over the last 18 months, it appears that they are making another push on "the West".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not much of a stretch, certainly took place on the Provisional Moon base.

No I didn't, but they are a blueprint for organisations engaged in this type of thing, the structure of the IRA has been used by other groups, and they have links with ETA in the Basque country and FARC in Colombia. Their philosophy has influenced many other groups.

Ye they had relationships with them two groups , thankfully neither group wanted the end of western civilization like isis do .

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Jesus mate, spoiler alert eh!!!

/sarcasm

Well they don't claim all alleged extremist attacks in Europe. When they do claim them, we should listen.

This wasnt a particularly co-ordinated or successful extremist attack on account of a low casualty count. The ISIS claim is more so to do with the perpetrators video pledge of allegience to Abu Ibrahim al-Quarashi.

If the pledge went unacknowledged it would damage the ISIS "brand".

Ye they had relationships with them two groups , thankfully neither group wanted the end of western civilization like isis do .

For sure, these headbangers should be treated the way they treat others, the soft approach will not work in this case, but it appears that they are embedded in Europe now, and the bleeding hearts will continue to tell everyone that we don't understand their culture, and that we need to be accepting and welcoming to all cultures. See how they get on if they went on a cultural exchange to Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

In September they called for a resumption of operations outside of Syria. It was the 1 year anniversary of the death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on 29 Oct, that ties in with the Nice attack.

ISIS have been reorganising in the Middle East over the last 18 months, it appears that they are making another push on "the West".

Or to put it another way " They haven't gone away you know....", and they are possibly even more dangerous now dispersed into small independant cell's than they were when they were grouped together in Syria / Iraq. They will still have a central command, but security between the cells will be kept very tight, and even when police or security forces capture an individual cell. it will not unduly interrupt the isis structure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I come back to this thread and what do I find....more deflecting, bringing up the catholics, columbia, gadaffi, the ira, etc.

why address the backward thinking terrorists that are murdering and slaughtering innocent people across europe in the name of some figment of their imagination.
    the liberals dont want us discussing these terrorist scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

For sure, these headbangers should be treated the way they treat others, the soft approach will not work in this case, but it appears that they are embedded in Europe now, and the bleeding hearts will continue to tell everyone that we don't understand their culture, and that we need to be accepting and welcoming to all cultures. See how they get on if they went on a cultural exchange to Saudi Arabia.

We welcome Saudi students to our universities every year. Money talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

On radio 1 of course rte had to highlight that two men with an immigrant backround came to the aid of one of the injured, In their short item on it on the news. Of course the perpetrator was described as an Austrian citizen with dual Macedonian citizenship

Rte really is becoming an enemy of truth and also the people by choosing to deflect from what is very useful information in informing ones personal security decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

Rte really is becoming an enemy of truth...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rte really is becoming an enemy of truth and also the people by choosing to deflect from what is very useful information in informing ones personal security decisions.

Stop paying the licence fee ?

I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

Why were the family not sent back home circa 15 years ago when the fighting was over? and being an ethnic muslim group surely asylum should have been sought in Bosnia/Kosovo/Albania/Turkey?
    Would it be the generous social welfare and life of leisure offered by Austria?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Be right back

But according to them, the truth matters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

I literally feel ill when I hear them talking about the 'truth', real Orwellian stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Only when it fits their agenda. The luvvies have a very skewed world view, and seem insulated from the reality of the world. That and the fact they are largely state funded.....

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Remind me again, which group is running around head hacking and machine gunning down innocents?

You want a full list? Over what time period? Are you limited to the past 24 hours only? is that the limit of 'wrong'?

the Srebrenica massacre was less than 20 years ago. A event where officials and professional soldiers primarily Christians, systematically slaughtered 8000 Muslims who were supposedly under the protection of Christian Dutch soldiers.

So, lets use your logic. All that has happened since by Muslims is justified because 20 years ago a bunch of Christian butchers and murderers murdered Muslims and their Christian protectors stood by while it happened.

Not a lunatic with a gun, an armed standing professional military force stood back while another armed standing professional military committed an act of genocide.

Shall we go back a little further and list all the acts in our own nation? Stick to after 1939 and the Jewish peoples views of Christian Germans?

I guess we will ignore Rwanda, Christian on Christian slaughter which frequently occurred within church grounds doesn't suit the bias and narrative here.

Learn your history or you are destined to repeat it. Hate is hate, murder os murder, religion has been the cause of both for centuries and your willingly following that same tired path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

You want a full list? Over what time period? Are you limited to the past 24 hours only? is that the limit of 'wrong'?

the Srebrenica massacre was less than 20 years ago. A event where officials and professional soldiers primarily Christians, systematically slaughtered 8000 Muslims who were supposedly under the protection of Christian Dutch soldiers.

So, lets use your logic. All that has happened since by Muslims is justified because 20 years ago a bunch of Christian butchers and murderers murdered Muslims and their Christian protectors stood by while it happened.

Not a lunatic with a gun, an armed standing professional military force stood back while another armed standing professional military committed an act of genocide.

Shall we go back a little further and list all the acts in our own nation? Stick to after 1939 and the Jewish peoples views of Christian Germans?

I guess we will ignore Rwanda, Christian on Christian slaughter which frequently occurred within church grounds doesn't suit the bias and narrative here.

Learn your history or you are destined to repeat it. Hate is hate, murder os murder, religion has been the cause of both for centuries and your willingly following that same tired path.

Learn your history indeed.

Srebrenica was well over twenty years ago, actually.

If history teaches us anything, it is that, in your words 'Hate is hate, murder os murder, religion has been the cause of both for centuries'.

So why, having gotten that Catholic monkey off our backs after a long struggle, would we import a vastly more alien and problematic belief system ?

We don't need it. And we don't need it from the Balkans, or Rwanda anymore than we need it from the ME.

So your history lesson is... bunk.

Advertisement