Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 dead and several injured after terrorist incident in Vienna, Austria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Vienna is due to go into lockdown tomorrow. Might be why the gunmen chose to go on the attack tonight : the reason the numbers of fatalities and injuries were on the low side though is probably because of the Covid situation and it being a Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Himpy5 wrote: »
    That girl turned and ran
    If you watch the video slowly you can see sparks around her feet where bullets were flying
    Looks like the animal went after her

Can't watch it again.
    Essentially that guys final seconds on this earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

You see it's not that easy.

By the time THAT happens it'll be too late, there will be to many of them here. You can't just revoke people's citizenship either, you can't pull their kids out of school and send them "home" at that point. Its just too late.

Poland, don't let them in in the first place is the only way to deal with them.

I fear it's already too late and any further action would be preventing the problem getting worse rather than preventing it happening in the first place. I hope I'm wrong but I fear we are already past the point of no return unfortunately. There is already too many of them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭newirishman

Yes but the Islamists give a ****. Because Vienna was the high water mark of islamic conquest of Europe they believe it is muslim territory.

That is just bullcrap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Strazdas wrote: »
    Vienna is due to go into lockdown tomorrow. Might be why the gunmen chose to go on the attack tonight : the reason the numbers of fatalities and injuries were on the low side though is probably because of the Covid situation and it being a Monday evening.

That's one of the big drinking areas, especially for tourists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

GT89 wrote: »
    I fear it's already too late and any further action would be preventing the problem getting worse rather than preventing it happening in the first place. I hope I'm wrong but I fear we are already past the point of no return unfortunately. There is already too many of them here.

It's funny. I dont remember voting for any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

The Troubles is going to look like a Birthday party compared to what will happen if there is a civilisational clash in Europe with parts of the Muslim community.

I really hate the sad state of affairs we are in and am filled with nothing but foreboding for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Islamic State sees Ireland as somewhere to fundraise, rather than attack, apparently.

https://www.thejournal.ie/jihadist-extremism-ireland-4833339-Oct2019/

The Journal, I know.

I don't want to see the murder of European citizens funded from Ireland.

Every country has their part to play in tackling radical Islam.

Watch it transpire that these individuals were already on a watch list.

European governments failing to protect their citizens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

so far we have seen people angered by what has happened and gave emotional replies get thread banned for daring to give an opinion.

while others sympathetic to these nutjobs be given free reign on these forums. I have seen on this forum people suggesting we should "negotiate" with these savages.

would be a joke if it wasn't so serious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The Austrian military is taking over from the police. Situation appears to be ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

You know what negotiation is ? It starts at the table, you ask an impossible question but you know that.

While I am all in favour of negotiation and a peace process, however the reality is that we are dealing with a number of radicals who are so indoctrinated into their belief that they think nothing of blowing themselves up.

People that far gone are beyond dealing with in a reasonably fashion.

This is what they want, it is a lose lose situation, they want their advisory to be aggressive and hostile. It just fuels their martyrdom.

I honestly which that there was a peaceful solution to this radical branch of Islam, but due to online grooming and radicalisation I doubt it can be stopped.

This isn't to say that all Islam is like this, this is a very radical branch that is very intolerant to anything that isn't it.

I just hope that the recent attacks in Europe don't see the rise of a populism in Europe. Last thing we need is a further lurch to the far right.

. There is already too many of them here.

If you have information about terrorists in this country, I suggest you pass this into An Gardai Siochana asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭dasdog

bear1 wrote: »
    I was wondering if it was his girlfriend at first standing next to him but she leaves.
    He must have been under shock or something for not leaving.
    Just...

It looked that way - poor lad may have just frozen. It does look like a very amateur attack. These arseholes are supposed to fight and be martyrs and it looks like some of them surrendered.

I hope those injured pull through - Vienna is a such beautiful city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭tastyt

As someone else said there is no reasoning or negotiating with these scum, they hate us and everything we stand for.

It’s a religion that is completely incompatible with European values and way of life. Stop giving them handouts and they can **** back to whatever sand box to crawled out of and worship whatever savage they want and treat their women whatever way they want . It can’t work , it will never work

This site is and will be absolutely inundated with anti trump posts around the election for the next few days and with plenty good reason. But he has done exactly the right thing on Islam , he has been strong and protected the citizens of the US from terrorist attacks ( in the main ).

They have turned to Europe, soft friendly stupid Europe with too many deluded left wingers welcoming murderers with open arms .

The sad thing is , even tomorrow these clowns will rather tell us all the good things about these scum instead of honouring the innocent people killed, the brave police , the poor woman beheaded by these animals .

Europe needs to show some balls and protect its people , stop pointing at big bad wolf trump tut tutting and shaking our heads while the people are slaughtered in their own streets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Motivation? Video of the robbed dude shouting Allah Ackbar

Maybe that's a new right wing terrorist slogan :confused:

The Austrian military is taking over from the police. Situation appears to be ongoing.

Not quite how this works in Austria. Military is now doing the normal police security work, to free up Police resources for the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

One attacker dead, a few on the run. Not much more details from official channels.
    The incident was across 6 places, all very close to each other close to the main Jewish synagogue.
    Motivation not quite clear yet, but the attackers where armed with rifles.
    It is not clear if the closeness to the Synagogue is relevant.
    Things seems to have calmed down now.
    All around Schwedenplatz, lot of bars, restaurants.

I can guess the motive, same one for the next dozen attacks as well.

Same vile talk of sympathy and solidarity from people who desperately want to turn a blind eye.

More candles, more bs heartbreak emojis.

Line up the next lot for the bolt gun. There will he nothing but acquiescence from Europeans and the political leadership and the people attacking are in no doubt about that and it drives them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭VG31

I am beginning to like the cut of Macron's jib:

"We French share the shock and grief of the Austrian people struck this evening by an attack in the heart of their capital, Vienna. After France, it is a friendly country that is attacked. This is our Europe. Our enemies must know who they are dealing with. We will not give up.".

The French have backbone, I couldn't imagine Germany for example having the same "no surrender" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

The Troubles is going to look like a Birthday party compared to what will happen if there is a civilisational clash in Europe with parts of the Muslim community.

I really hate the sad state of affairs we are in and am filled with nothing but foreboding for the future.

Interesting you should mention the troubles - rates of immigration north of the border are a tad on the low side. They don’t even like their neighbours a couple of streets over - might just be their salvation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

We need a new guy with a funny moustache. Right month for it too. Round them all up, every one of them. To Hell or to Mecca!

Might get LePen is France

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

wont be long before the "it was an awful tragedy" posts arrive, as if this was some sort of accidental plane crash....not systematic murder by lunatics.

But better be careful, can offend those people as i might get banned, we cannot dare give our true feeling an airing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

so far we have seen people angered by what has happened and gave emotional replies get thread banned for daring to give an opinion.

Take it to feedback if you wish to discuss this, bring it up on the thread again and it will be deleted as off topic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭Himpy5

It's depressing but everything will work out OK.

No cnut will ever beat the Irish

We fried bigger fish in our day and by dad well do it again

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Might get LePen is France

She is top soft on this. The circumstances demand a stronger approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Another day in Europe and another Islamist attack.

But sure let's import a rake of them here. Doesn't matter about the innocents shot down 5-10 years from now in our streets. They are the price we must pay for progressiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

wont be long before the "it was an awful tragedy" posts arrive, as if this was some sort of accidental plane crash....non systematic murder by lunatics.

But better be careful, can offend those people as i might get banned, we cannot dare give our true feeling an airing.

Well it is a tragedy. Tragedy does not equate with accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does anyone else feel uneasy going into Dublin City Centre especially around Henry Street and Grafton Street when it's packed particularly around Christmas time these last couple of years?

You may notice those massive plant pots at the top of both roads during Christmas. Nobody said anything about them but they are there to stop a car or a truck running down the road. These things are huge, have a few lights on then for decorations and stuff but you ain't getting a car through them. A truck maybe but it would need a decent run up and the bang from it would be enough to warn people to get out of the way.

Gun/Grenade attacks are very different. They find it very hard to get serious weaponry over here. Even the UK have never had gun attacks. It usually machetes and homemade explosives. Mainland Europe have land borders, so not as hard.

15 people injured, 7 of them severe.

Apparently started with some random shooting into a beergarden.
    Looks like terrorism alright.

You may notice those massive plant pots at the top of both roads during Christmas. Nobody said anything about them but they are there to stop a car or a truck running down the road. These things are huge, have a few lights on then for decorations and stuff but you ain't getting a car through them. A truck maybe but it would need a decent run up and the bang from it would be enough to warn people to get out of the way.

Gun/Grenade attacks are very different. They find it very hard to get serious weaponry over here. Even the UK have never had gun attacks. It usually machetes and homemade explosives.

They call them diversity blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Maybe the anti immigration Brexiteers were right after all.

Disgraceful attack as are all connected to Islamic terrorism.

Marine le Pen and her ilk will probably thrive quite soon. Something must be done. I’m fearful now. And added to Covid, feck sake.

Advertisement